Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2015, 03:08 AM

504 posts, read 465,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ- View Post
Hi-brow, I guess it means pricey, stuffy restaurants for the rich and the elite... ? So, pomme puree... well, pleased, I don't know, but they do what they want, hein. Weird still.
I simply mean nice restaurants, and less nice restaurants trying to be pretentious. I thought you would like the fact we use so much French in our menus
Quote:

No oil whatsover on my beloved mashed potatoes, not even on pastas. [/color]
What a dry fellow you are!

Quote:

You really eat that ?
Not on a daily basis, no. It's a meal I'd cook on a weekend, or if friends were coming around - or I'd choose in a restaurant. The en papillote works very well with baby carrots too. My favourite way of cooking them.

Quote:

I want this, don't laugh : http://auroreinparis.files.wordpress...2-1024x768.jpg
Yet you won't put any oil on potatoes or pasta? That's a heart attack on a plate!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2015, 07:43 AM

4,942 posts, read 3,316,689 times
Hi Ariete and thanks for the numbers. What is up with Finland food I read on another forum something about comments/complaints about Finnish foods. The only food I know is Karelian pastry bought at a Christmas fair long ago.
I never made it far enough north to visit Finland ... I did go frequently to NO SW & DK but that was long time ago.

Old 11-13-2015, 08:16 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerys52SoSilver View Post
Hi Ariete and thanks for the numbers. What is up with Finland food I read on another forum something about comments/complaints about Finnish foods. The only food I know is Karelian pastry bought at a Christmas fair long ago.
I never made it far enough north to visit Finland ... I did go frequently to NO SW & DK but that was long time ago.
Items like potatoes, salmon, pasta, brown bread and like cabbage salad are staple foods for Finns, but some refugees complained because they wanted rice, shawarma, hummus and Arabic flatbread. And even the vegetables and fruits were differnt that they had been used to.

Of course this was blown into massive proportions, in reality these complaints were rather isolated events.

Old 11-13-2015, 08:48 AM

Hi Ariete thanks again.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:04 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerys52SoSilver View Post
Hi Ariete thanks again.
No problem. If you want to know what Finns regularly eat, I can give some examples:

macaroni casserole:

meatballs: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-dWHDkqeR1x...lihapullat.JPG

Salmon in the oven with cream:

salmon soup:

meat soup:

chicken with pinapples:

bread Baltic herring: http://vuodatus-media-3.vuodatus.net...67/1787259.jpg

bread in the oven:

minced meat and sauce:

Karelian hot pot:

sausages in the oven:

And then of course foods that aren't really Finnish, like bolognese, lasagne, Sunday roast, tortillas and so on...

Sorry for the off-topic.

Old 11-13-2015, 03:00 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,813,278 times
The best cuisine for me is one in which I can eat a full plate and not feel hungry after an hour.

Old 11-13-2015, 03:16 PM

10,889 posts, read 2,192,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640TAG View Post
I simply mean nice restaurants, and less nice restaurants trying to be pretentious. I thought you would like the fact we use so much French in our menus
Oh OK.
Well, I don't like it nor dislike it, I just don't really care. I'm not going to jump everywhere just because someone use a French word or a French term, especially when there's an English equivalent, but well, like I said, they do what they want. If they think they look "classy" when using one....

Quote:
What a dry fellow you are!

lol, I'm a buttery and creamy fellow instead.

Quote:
Not on a daily basis, no. It's a meal I'd cook on a weekend, or if friends were coming around - or I'd choose in a restaurant. The en papillote works very well with baby carrots too. My favourite way of cooking them.
If I liked vegetables, I'd say it must be good but since I don't like them, I'd just say it looks interesting.

Quote:
Yet you won't put any oil on potatoes or pasta? That's a heart attack on a plate!

At school they used too much oil I think, now I'm disgusted by it each time I see a bottle. You don't even want to know how much salt I put in everything...

Old 11-14-2015, 01:48 AM

67 posts, read 62,804 times
Hungary has excellent and underrated food, especially cakes. Because of the Austro-Hungarian empire they have this great pastry traditions along with Austria.

Old 11-14-2015, 01:52 AM

Hi Ariete
thanks for all the great pictures going to cook something Finnish soon will google some recipes. I did bring back cookbooks from Scandinavia and Germany from my frequent travels long time ago.
One more request is there an online Finland grocery shop I can view thanks for any link, have a nice weekend.
Karelian hot pot looks a bit like one of the beef stews I make. And the salmon looks familiar to a buffet food item long ago.

Old 11-14-2015, 02:16 AM

1,972 posts, read 1,280,615 times
It's a bit general but to me anybody along the mediterranean coastline has an awesome cuisine.
Especially the Greek and Spanish!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe