Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2015, 09:53 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,821,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 640TAG View Post
Very few Brits eat that sort of full breakfast every day. It would be incredibly unhealthy (but then we are the most obese in Europe, apart from Icelanders). Usually it's a treat if we go on holiday. It is, however, a very good hangover cure which I will occasionally make on a Sunday morning after a heavy Saturday night!!
Yes, obviously I understand that. To add, it's also time-consuming to prepare, and few have the luxury of spending too much time on making breakfast. But I've heard from hotels here in Finland that especially British tourists are disgruntled because they cannot find bacon, beans and fried eggs on the breakfast table. Agree on the hangover cure, though. Therefore many go out on brunch on Sundays, where you can find a variety of everything, depending on what you fancy hung over.

Cereal, youghurt, cold cuts cheese and veggies are what the majority eats here on a normal breakfast. Some eat porridge too, usually with butter or jam or fresh berries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 10:15 AM

504 posts, read 465,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
^
What is this? "American in origin?"
I can't quite identify it)))
Smoked salmon and scrambled eggs. I have it on wholemeal toast - I just picked that pic as it was the nicest looking!!

Quote:

P.S. Out of all "national dishes" you've posted, the "steak and kidney pie" ( why it can't be just "steak pie" ) doesn't look too promising , the rest was good.
It was a pudding, not a pie - as it was puddings we were discussing. A steak & kidney pudding (and it can be just steak) has a soft crust made from suet (you'll have to google "suet"!) and is steamed rather than baked. Rather old fashioned, and not seen or eaten very often these days. Pies are much more common - and come in all sorts of types. Pies (and pasties - not "pastries") probably are the quintessential British food, that I have never come across anywhere else in the world other than Australia. A really good pie - steak & ale, or steak & red wine, or chicken & mushroom, with creamy mashed potatoes, buttered greens, fabulous gravy. Ahhhhhh! I had a great pie with friends in a local gastro-pub last week - "pig cheek, pheasant and roast vegetable". Very traditional.

Here's an unusual one from the BBC site - chicken, ham and crayfish. Hmmm. Not sure about that!

Quote:

P.S. And "blood sausage" - isn't it something that's eaten in a number of countries?
I would make a guess in Northern countries first of all, how about the "Southern" ones?
It's very popular in many countries other than the UK, in fact probably more popular.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Yes, obviously I understand that. To add, it's also time-consuming to prepare, and few have the luxury of spending too much time on making breakfast. But I've heard from hotels here in Finland that especially British tourists are disgruntled because they cannot find bacon, beans and fried eggs on the breakfast table.
A word about baked beans...

You can tell the class of a hotel by it's full English breakfast. Classy places serve the beans in a separate little dish on the plate, so they do not run into the egg or tomato. I'm very fussy about that. The classiest of all simply do not include baked beans in the breakfast. They are the food of the working class HAHA!

Old 11-11-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Bagel with smoked salmon is a Jewish-American breakfast.

The most 'traditional' American breakfast is fried eggs with bacon and sausage with the other elements of an English fry-up as optional. Personally I often have baked beans, but rarely fried tomatoes and mushrooms. Blood sausage is rare, but available.

Also waffles or pancakes on the weekend.
Smoked salmon usually goes with cream cheese, does it not? "Lox and cream cheese" has to be said in a New York accent!

I'm not sure where the scrambled eggs/salmon combo originates - I assumed the US.

America has a pretty good breakfast. I like the "home fries" though they vary in quality, and you only ever serve "streaky" bacon, cooked to a crisp. I prefer the British "back bacon", but again, I've never seen the cut anywhere else.

And I'm sorry, but I don't concur with Agent Cooper, who said in "Twin Peaks" - "NOTHING compares to the taste when ham collides with maple syrup!". I do not do that one.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:41 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,443,939 times
Quote:
^

P.S. And "blood sausage" - isn't it something that's eaten in a number of countries?
I would make a guess in Northern countries first of all, how about the "Southern" ones?
In Italy it is called "sanguinaccio", and it is eaten in several regions.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:42 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,821,814 times
Quote:
Smoked salmon usually goes with cream cheese, does it not? "Lox and cream cheese" has to be said in a New York accent!
Very common in the Nordic Countries too.

Old 11-11-2015, 07:05 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,369,707 times
Re: Blood sausage in America
Quote:
Where?
I never saw it in regular grocery stores.
In butcher shops that make their own sausage. You will not find it in American grocery stores since they usually only sell mass produced foods and blood sausage in America is only found as an artisanal delicacy.

Quote:

I'm not sure where the scrambled eggs/salmon combo originates - I assumed the US.

America has a pretty good breakfast. I like the "home fries" though they vary in quality, and you only ever serve "streaky" bacon, cooked to a crisp. I prefer the British "back bacon", but again, I've never seen the cut anywhere else.

And I'm sorry, but I don't concur with Agent Cooper, who said in "Twin Peaks" - "NOTHING compares to the taste when ham collides with maple syrup!". I do not do that one.
I don't like maple syrup on ham, but if a little bit gets on my bacon, I'll suffer with it.

Also, Ariete, those salmon rolls look really good!

Old 11-11-2015, 07:33 PM

10,889 posts, read 2,193,171 times
Boudin noir : http://today.wecook.fr/wp-content/up...oudin-noir.jpg

Gross, gross, gross.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:02 PM

26,784 posts, read 22,567,030 times
Quote:

It was a pudding, not a pie - as it was puddings we were discussing. A steak & kidney pudding (and it can be just steak) has a soft crust made from suet (you'll have to google "suet"!) and is steamed rather than baked. Rather old fashioned, and not seen or eaten very often these days. Pies are much more common - and come in all sorts of types. Pies (and pasties - not "pastries") probably are the quintessential British food, that I have never come across anywhere else in the world other than Australia. A really good pie - steak & ale, or steak & red wine, or chicken & mushroom, with creamy mashed potatoes, buttered greens, fabulous gravy. Ahhhhhh! I had a great pie with friends in a local gastro-pub last week - "pig cheek, pheasant and roast vegetable". Very traditional.

Here's an unusual one from the BBC site - chicken, ham and crayfish. Hmmm. Not sure about that!
Thank you for detailed explanations, because I didn't have a clue that pies... ( err, sorry - puddings can be "steamed" ( but that's what sets them apart as I understand now,) and I googled everything - both "suet" and "crawfish" (just to be on a safe side))) ( That is is what I think it is))))
To be honest it's all news to me. "Soft crust made from suet" and crawfish baked into pie ( I hope it was PIE this time around and I didn't make any mistake))) ))))

Old 11-11-2015, 08:04 PM

26,784 posts, read 22,567,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ- View Post
Ok, ok, I hear you)))
It's available in France but you hate it)))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe