Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2015, 02:18 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,444,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Those dishes that you show on top (as good as they look,) are for warmer climates.
But in colder climates they will simply not do and stew will look much more attractive after the long freezing day.
I agree, here on the italian Alps a lot of traditional dishes are basically stews with meat and vegetables, usually eaten with a good polenta.

Those are some dishes that we often eat during the winter here in Northern Italy

^spezzatino con patate. There are several versions of this, with different meats and vegetables, in several regions (if not all the regions...). At my place that variant is called "fricandò"

^ the "cassoeula", typical of Milan. It is made of cabbage and pork meat.

^brasato al barolo, witch is made with the homonym famous red wine. This is typical of my region.

^ polenta e osei (literally "polenta and birds"). This is mainly a recipe from Veneto. I had preferred to look for a not too-disturbing picture... in this dish the main part are the little birds, that are often cooked practically as a whole (with the head, the legs and so on).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 01:41 PM

10,889 posts, read 2,193,700 times
Quote:
You mean that stew in that picture?
Yes.

What do you think of this ? (for everyone)

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/i...roxuEVVkEE_AFb

Last edited by Eden Morlevent; 11-06-2015 at 02:18 PM..

Old 11-06-2015, 02:36 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,732,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urania93 View Post
I agree, here on the italian Alps a lot of traditional dishes are basically stews with meat and vegetables, usually eaten with a good polenta.

Those are some dishes that we often eat during the winter here in Northern Italy

^spezzatino con patate. There are several versions of this, with different meats and vegetables, in several regions (if not all the regions...). At my place that variant is called "fricandò"

^ the "cassoeula", typical of Milan. It is made of cabbage and pork meat.

^brasato al barolo, witch is made with the homonym famous red wine. This is typical of my region.

^ polenta e osei (literally "polenta and birds"). This is mainly a recipe from Veneto. I had preferred to look for a not too-disturbing picture... in this dish the main part are the little birds, that are often cooked practically as a whole (with the head, the legs and so on).
all look so good!

How come the dished you showed look so delicious while most Italian food at Italian restaurants in North America is either boring/cliche (seafood pasta! Lasagna!) or pretentious ($12 for 5 pieces of prosciutto, really)? brasato al Barolo looks absolutely amazing. I have never seen anything like this here in the restaurants.

Old 11-06-2015, 04:03 PM

26,789 posts, read 22,567,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Rye flour, malted rye, molass, syrup and orange zest. It's a food eaten on Easter. Probably Jewish or Persian in origin.
So it WAS some kind of dessert as I've guessed it correctly.
Now I have a question about the other pic - with a loaf of black bread stuffed with other kind of foods ( at least that's what I think it was) and if it's the case, tell me more about your black bread.
It looks like ours. I've never seen anything like that anywhere else.
(And - what kind of sauce do you use with that "poop" dessert?)
If it's rye flour ( malted rye, molasses, syrup and orange zest... Hmmm... I can think of one particular kind of Russian black bread that COULD DO surprisingly well in this kind of concoction, although it never has been used for this purpose ( Eastern including.)
Unless I miss something and it's a recipe from much older times that used to exist in Russia as well ( even if for Jews)...

Old 11-06-2015, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ- View Post
Yes.

What do you think of this ? (for everyone)

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/i...roxuEVVkEE_AFb
I don't know WHAT to think DJ)))
I have no idea what it is.
Care to explain?

Old 11-06-2015, 04:12 PM

Quote:
I don't know WHAT to think DJ)))
I have no idea what it is.
Care to explain?

It's just kidneys lamb with mustard sauce.

Bon appétit.

Old 11-06-2015, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
all look so good!

How come the dished you showed look so delicious while most Italian food at Italian restaurants in North America is either boring/cliche (seafood pasta! Lasagna!) or pretentious ($12 for 5 pieces of prosciutto, really)? brasato al Barolo looks absolutely amazing. I have never seen anything like this here in the restaurants.

Because Urania is apparently from Northern Italy and they are "Pollentoni" down ( or up ) there, according to the rest of Italians))))
( They call them "Pollentoni" in reference to that white corn meal and their "Nordic" characters)))
Their cuisine of course is quite different too, but what you see as "typical Italian cuisine in the US," that probably comes from different regions of Italy.
Italy is very diverse. France is probably even more so.
Which I find amazing that such small countries can be soooo diverse)))

( Sorry ppl - no offense, but to me those ARE small countries)))

Old 11-06-2015, 04:16 PM

Quote:
It's just kidneys lamb with mustard sauce.

Bon appétit.
what "kidneys lamb"?" You mean lamb kidneys?
How many lambs do you have to slaughter for one dish?

Old 11-06-2015, 04:22 PM

Quote:
what "kidneys lamb"?" You mean lamb kidneys?
How many lambs do you have to slaughter for one dish?
Maybe it's better if I give you the French name of the dish, rognons de veau à la moutarde.

Sooo... not lamb but veal, right ? Not that it make the thing look better.

Old 11-06-2015, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Maybe it's better if I give you the French name of the dish, rognons de veau à la moutarde.

Sooo... not lamb but veal, right ? Not that it make the thing look better.
Yeah, veal.
( In Russia they use beef kidneys too.)

P.S. It doesn't look "better" or worse, because it's all a la moutarde and covered with it)))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe