Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 06:37 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Veal is actually considered exotic by some?

Go to a WalMart meat counter in the USA and ask for veal, see if there is anybody there who even knows what you are talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max96 View Post
Many 'exotic' foods, such as citrus and bananas are nowadays usual even in a relatively poor country like Ukraine, but it doesn't make them part of Ukrainian cuisine, because they simply don't grow here.
There was no spaghetti nor tomatoes in Italy, either, before the fifteenth century. But now certainly part of the Italian cuisine.

The great trade routes and global shipping were developed primarily to transport spices to places where they didn't grow, to become part of all cuisines. Even salt was an expensive exotic in many places, right up to the last century, when a young Ghandi lead a protest against salt taxes and monopolies in India. And tea in colonial America. Would you say that only Cuba can claim to have sugary foods in its national cuisine, which would elsewhere be an exotic?

When I lived in Quebec, Poutine had not been invented yet, but now it is considered the definitive food of Quebec.

Last edited by jtur88; 10-25-2015 at 06:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2015, 07:21 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,128,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urdiales View Post
Arigarisha.-
Indeed Ferran Adria is the most admired worldwire among people of his profession .And Bulli has
been the num 1 Restaurant for several years .There been studied chef around the World.
Get a table there was a matter of years.
Ferran today is preparing other culinay projects .
Today the restaurant num 1 international is CAn Roca and also in Spain.-
https://translate.google.es/translat...ml&prev=search
The large cuisine is the result of a regional and popular cuisine and the immense variety of produts orchard and the sea that there is in Spain

A typical dish at El Celler de Can Roca

Oh my goodness, there's just too much food in there. You could fill an olympic pool with that much soup.

Last edited by Arigarisha; 10-25-2015 at 07:27 AM.. Reason: Also this forum really want me to learn Spanish. "Spanish verb chart mess!" Reads my favorite ad.

Old 10-25-2015, 08:01 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Why should you import people?

And as a Japanese I don't you have any business dissing any other country's cuisine, as 99% of what you eat is absolutely revolting.
I love Japanese food.

I also have a friend who is Norwegian and she always has a big Christmas party and has tons of authentic Norwegian food shipped over. IT'S DELICIOUS.

Most cuisines have both great and revolting dishes. To each his own.

Old 10-25-2015, 08:03 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Go to a WalMart meat counter in the USA and ask for veal, see if there is anybody there who even knows what you are talking about.
Just so you know - veal is readily available throughout the US. Not everyone does their grocery shopping at WalMart.

Old 10-25-2015, 09:30 AM

2,304 posts, read 2,963,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Just so you know - veal is readily available throughout the US. Not everyone does their grocery shopping at WalMart.
Absolutely right. I can buy a variety of veal products at my local Albertson's.

Old 10-25-2015, 10:16 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,821,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Most cuisines have both great and revolting dishes. To each his own.
Apparently not, as the Moderator cut: <snip> suggested that Scandinavians are inherently unable to understand good food, as we would have to import people who know "how to eat".

It's especially funny coming from a person who eats seaweed, raw fish eyes and rice spiced with wasabi and semen.

Last edited by Rozenn; 11-03-2015 at 01:01 PM.. Reason: Rude

Old 10-25-2015, 10:49 AM

570 posts, read 605,334 times
Arigarisha.-
Can roca has other much stronger scrumptious dishes-

find them? ja ja.-

Old 10-25-2015, 10:56 AM
F18

542 posts, read 529,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Why should you import people?

And as a Japanese I don't you have any business dissing any other country's cuisine, as 99% of what you eat is absolutely revolting.
Are you serious? There is a reason why Japanese food is popular around the world. Funnily enough I never heard of anyone liking Finnish (or Northern European food).

Old 10-25-2015, 10:59 AM
F18

542 posts, read 529,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ- View Post
Okay Ariete... then I don't want to know what you could possibly think of our snails in butter and garlic and frog legs. Or veal, or brain, or "langue de boeuf"... I never tried those but my parents did.
Snails are really good! Frog legs taste like chicken (at least that what I thought).

Old 10-25-2015, 11:02 AM

10,889 posts, read 2,193,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F18 View Post
Snails are really good! Frog legs taste like chicken (at least that what I thought).
I think there's more foreigners who had already ate snails than people in France. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe