Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2015, 09:34 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,561,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Yes it's an Easter dessert. You eat it with cream and sugar.

The stuffed kebab-like thing is a kalakukko, a delicacy from Northern Savonia. It's a rye bread dough and filled with perch or vendace and usually bacon or other pork.

Rye bread is very popular in Finland and Sweden and eaten in many different forms:

Vendace is usually eaten fried with potatoes and garlic sauce, like so:
Do you think it's pretty close to these ones?

https://www.google.com/search?q=%D1%...83%D0%BA%D0%B8

https://www.google.com/search?q=%D1%...B5%D0%B1%D0%B0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2015, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urania93 View Post
Just one thing, it is "polentoni" with just one l, and it is only referred to the fact that we eat "polenta".
I didn't make it up.
My g.f. ( from Northern Italy) told me that it was in reference both to food AND the "national character."
( And the way she was pronouncing it - I always thought it was double "l."

P.S. Now while I am making my little research on black bread - do you have it in Italy at all?
(They don't have it in the US for example.)

Old 11-09-2015, 04:21 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,817,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post
Thanks for your clarification, but I will pass on that... Do you guys enjoy mashed potatoes?
Yes, definitely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Do you think it's pretty close to these ones?
Yes, quite. Most of those look to be rye + oat and rye + barley breads, and not "pure" rye bread, if something like that even exists. Finnish rye bread has always a bit of wheat in it.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:11 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times
I think everyone in Europe, U.S.A, Canada, and Australia/NZ likes mashed potatoes. Almost indecently so.

Old 11-09-2015, 09:36 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,443,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I didn't make it up.
My g.f. ( from Northern Italy) told me that it was in reference both to food AND the "national character."
( And the way she was pronouncing it - I always thought it was double "l."

P.S. Now while I am making my little research on black bread - do you have it in Italy at all?
(They don't have it in the US for example.)
I just continue to write about the term "Polentone" because I think it is an interesting word
https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polentone
It says (really quickly translation, not 100% literal):
"The term "polentone" is an epithet, with a negative connotation, used by people from southern Italy for indicating the inhabitants of northern Italy."
"Literally it means "polenta eater". Polenta is a really diffused food in the diet of poor people in norther Italy, and until the beginning of the XX century it represented one of the base aliment for the populations of north Italy "[...]
"the term is one of the words used in the contest of rivality between people from northern and southern Italy, being the counterpart of the term "terrone". Both those words could be used for remarking a (supposed) cultural and ethnic inferiority, but often they are only used as a joke."
"the same epithet is used in the Po Valley, and in particular in Lombardy ("pulentùn" in their dialect), to indicate a slow person, that moves in an awkward way"

Talking about bread, I can't be 100% sure because it can vary A LOT region by region, and there are several thousand of ways for making bread. About black bread, there is the "pane di segale" (I found "Rye bread" as translation), which was diffused on the Alps and in particular the Trentino-Alto Adige/Südtirol region, but also here and in Aosta Valley you can find some traditional breads made with it for example. Nowadays it can be found quite easily in a lot of food stores and bakeries, but we don't eat it often. Bakeries at my place often sell it with dried fruits inside, and I like it a lot (i could eat the whole of it at once...)
It looks more or less like this (often it is even darker)

Then you can also find dark bread make with integral flour. Other flour that are used for some kinds of bread are the corn one (never tried it...) or the "durum wheat" (I took the name from wikipedia, in practice it is the flour that we usually use for making pasta. Normal bread instead is made with common/bread wheat).

About bread you can also find some (really rare) bakeries who still prepare bread in a wooden oven, using sourdough instead of common yeast https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sourdough

Old 11-09-2015, 09:58 AM

504 posts, read 465,725 times
Well, it's all very interesting, but I regret to say you are all wrong.

THIS is the best thing on the planet. A proper Yorkshire Pudding, cooked in the pan after the meat, crispy underneath and on top but soft and doughy inside, with fantastic gravy. Food of the Gods, but very rarely to be seen nowadays. They are all pathetic little round things out of a packet.

Old 11-09-2015, 05:25 PM

10,889 posts, read 2,193,171 times
I'd better have some moules-frites. This is good.

And then some more frites dipped in aligot. Forget the sausages on the side.

http://www.neorizons-travel.com/wp-c...t-saucisse.jpg

Belgians know how to do good stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitraillette

Old 11-09-2015, 06:38 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,889,770 times
I am from Trentino and rye bread (or "black bread" as we call it) is the only kind of bread I eat nowadays.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urania93 View Post
I just continue to write about the term "Polentone" because I think it is an interesting word
https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polentone
It says (really quickly translation, not 100% literal):
"The term "polentone" is an epithet, with a negative connotation, used by people from southern Italy for indicating the inhabitants of northern Italy."
"Literally it means "polenta eater". Polenta is a really diffused food in the diet of poor people in norther Italy, and until the beginning of the XX century it represented one of the base aliment for the populations of north Italy "[...]
"the term is one of the words used in the contest of rivality between people from northern and southern Italy, being the counterpart of the term "terrone". Both those words could be used for remarking a (supposed) cultural and ethnic inferiority, but often they are only used as a joke."
"the same epithet is used in the Po Valley, and in particular in Lombardy ("pulentùn" in their dialect), to indicate a slow person, that moves in an awkward way"

Talking about bread, I can't be 100% sure because it can vary A LOT region by region, and there are several thousand of ways for making bread. About black bread, there is the "pane di segale" (I found "Rye bread" as translation), which was diffused on the Alps and in particular the Trentino-Alto Adige/Südtirol region, but also here and in Aosta Valley you can find some traditional breads made with it for example. Nowadays it can be found quite easily in a lot of food stores and bakeries, but we don't eat it often. Bakeries at my place often sell it with dried fruits inside, and I like it a lot (i could eat the whole of it at once...)
It looks more or less like this (often it is even darker)

Then you can also find dark bread make with integral flour. Other flour that are used for some kinds of bread are the corn one (never tried it...) or the "durum wheat" (I took the name from wikipedia, in practice it is the flour that we usually use for making pasta. Normal bread instead is made with common/bread wheat).

About bread you can also find some (really rare) bakeries who still prepare bread in a wooden oven, using sourdough instead of common yeast https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sourdough
Thanks.
But nooooo))) that's not "black bread," - that's what they are trying to pass for "black bread" here in the US)))

Old 11-09-2015, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 640TAG View Post
Well, it's all very interesting, but I regret to say you are all wrong.

THIS is the best thing on the planet. A proper Yorkshire Pudding, cooked in the pan after the meat, crispy underneath and on top but soft and doughy inside, with fantastic gravy. Food of the Gods, but very rarely to be seen nowadays. They are all pathetic little round things out of a packet.
This looks like some kind of a pie.
(When I was reading English literature in my childhood, I was always wondering what "pudding" was and I pictured it as some kind of dessert))) As in something sweet.
What else do you have as part of "national cuisine?"
And - do you have black bread?
(inquiring minds want to know... )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe