Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2014, 09:07 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
God, my mom's smoking, as well as sun exposure from gardening and yard work, has aged her so horribly...it's such a shame. She is early sixties, but her skin looks at least a decade older than it is.
My sister has a friend from high school who's similar. They're both in their late 40s, and I think my sister looks pretty good despite her youth of tanning and smoking, but I saw her friend (after not seeing her for many years) at an anniversary party for my parents and thought, "who is that leathery old woman talking to M? <pause> OMG, that's B!" She looks 20 years older than she is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 09:26 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
I have both natural and made up pics in my profile. It depends on the situation...when I go out, I like being made up. I doing it myself and having others do it for me. I think I get that view from my mom. I never went for the pancake look...just the eyes, cheeks, and lipstick.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:52 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
I hear you. they should save the money on all that make up and get themselves some breast implants.
Yep, since that is where we are looking anyway.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:54 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaBrown View Post
I am totally agree with you. Lip gloss is good enough for daily use, but occasionally make-up is must. Daily make-up leads to wrinkles and aging signs very early.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
That's not necessarily true. I use tinted moisturizer and a bit of powder in my 'T zone' because of shininess. I doubt my use of moisturizer is going to give me wrinkles and signs of aging.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Yeah, the sun, poor health/diet, smoking, and just getting older are going to give people wrinkles. BB cream by itself? Not so much.
Now so much makeup has SPF and antioxidants too. It is like a double dose of protection. We need to wear sunscreen anyway.

:P

Thinking about it, I might actually wear makeup a bit more (to add polish) if it wasn't so darn hard to find makeup that matches. Apparently all black women have blue undertones (according to makeup manufacturers) and I am warm toned.

3 years later, I finally seem to have found an OK BB cream option and it code $45 a tube. I tried one brand and it didn't have sunscreen, which is like half of the purpose. And it was a $20 drugstore brand. *smh*

Old 01-16-2014, 10:57 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Thinking about it, I might actually wear makeup a bit more (to add polish) if it wasn't so darn hard to find makeup that matches. Apparently all black women have blue undertones (according to makeup manufacturers) and I am warm toned.

3 years later, I finally seem to have found an OK BB cream option and it code $45 a tube. I tried one brand and it didn't have sunscreen, which is like half of the purpose. And it was a $20 drugstore brand. *smh*
Even Iman can't help you out? IMAN COSMETICS - Find your shade. – Black / African American, Caribbean, Hispanic / Latin, Asian, Middle Eastern, Pacific Island and Native American skin tones. That must be really frustrating.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:21 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
That's not necessarily true. I use tinted moisturizer and a bit of powder in my 'T zone' because of shininess. I doubt my use of moisturizer is going to give me wrinkles and signs of aging.
Doesn't it crack you up that people believe that you have to wear to makeup every day to prevent aging and that you age because you wear make up everyday?

No wonder heads spin. It's like that Bobcat Goldthwaite comedy bit about coffee. It calms you it energizes you BUT IT CAN'T DO BOTH AT THE SAME TIME!

Old 01-16-2014, 01:39 PM

338 posts, read 677,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I just can't understand why women can't just go natural and not put anything on their faces. Men do not like women with clown looking faces. Just a lip gloss is good enough. This has to be a major insecurity that almost all women have to put something on before they go out.
Why do you assume women care what you think about what they do with their own bodies? Newsflash--they don't. Women dress and put on makeup for themselves first and foremost. It's a form of self-expression.

Stop thinking it's all about you.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:45 PM

914 posts, read 943,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I just can't understand why women can't just go natural and not put anything on their faces. Men do not like women with clown looking faces. Just a lip gloss is good enough. This has to be a major insecurity that almost all women have to put something on before they go out.
Humm...It may be more a city thing.
Out here in the rural sticks of PA, you don't see women wearing much makeup...and I don't either.

Well, for starters, I guess I am built more like a linebacker than a lady...which is not exactly uncommon here anyway. I think people who don't work in big-city offices...tend do do less makeup - and thankfully, less perfume!

Nothing I hated more than, in my corporate days, coming across someone who had BATHED in cologne or perfume. I was always taught that a woman's scent should never enter the room before the woman does. I'd say that one applies equally to men.

Still, you are more likely to find me wearing a faded pair of bluejeans, an overlarge t-shirt and a John Deere tractor cap than you are to see me wearing mascara.

Incidentally, with more and more stories coming out about how some of the ingredients in major brand cosmetics can in fact CAUSE breast cancer, I am actually glad I don't wear much.

Old 01-16-2014, 04:12 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,830,974 times
Women in Colorado do so wear a lot of makeup. I've had coworkers who wore a ten-year supply of eye-shadow every single day. Another one wore foundation that was so obvious, you could tell where her lower jaw was free of makeup and where the foundation began. It was awful.

Old 01-16-2014, 04:40 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,744,337 times
I wonder how the "I like naturally beautifully women and hate women wearing makeup" crowed would feel if we went natural and stopped shaving/waxing our legs and armpits. That's natural, too. By their logic, it ought to make us even more beautiful.

Disclaimer: I know there are a fair amount of women out there who choose to not shave/wax. More power to 'em. It's a personal choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty