Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2010, 06:49 AM

1 posts, read 6,118 times

Advertisements

To Left after 25 years...... ME TOO DITTO down to the "bird". I left Florida twice and moved to North Carolina and twice my kids convinced me to move back...(on my second move down and been crying for 3 days).
PEOPLE READ Left after 25 years ..it's true. But if you like the heat, humidity, frequent house shaken thunderstorms and threats of or actual hurricanes fine...go there. Rents are expensive for a median safe place....unless you go North West but that doesn't mean a good safe area and jobs....RESEARCH WELL
I think people are rude because of the heat. Moving away from North Carolina is so sad again..wonderful weather and people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 10:56 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmain View Post
How is Jacksonville like? I have a wife and a baby. I'm sick and tired of Miami. I work in the ems field. What are good neighborhoods in Jacksonville?
The southside of Jacksonville (Mandarin and BayMeadows) is best. Also northern St Johns County (North St Augustine and Ponte Vedra Beach). In terms of planning for schools, the St Johns County Public School System is excellent and one of the best in the state.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:35 AM

1 posts, read 6,058 times
Arrow Not Here

We landed in Port Charlotte 6 months ago and boy am I sorry. I thought I'd be able to continue working at a Publix store here only to find there are no openings, ever. We have applied at all retail businesses here with no luck. The town in itself is very boring. And I'm 60! The people seem to be unapproachable and leary. I left central Florida to help a (what I thought) friend and was forced to move here due to lack of funds. My savings were depleted helping so called friend out. Sales tax is 7% and limited options as far as shopping. Kmart, Walmart, Target and mall(small) are all within feet of each other and if there are attractions or other leisure activities they are well hidden. There are quite a few restaurants if you can afford to go out and eat. Food shopping is higher than central and S. Florida. I pray to be able to leave here soon. Bottom line... if you want nothing but peace and quiet, this is the place for you. I'm just tellin' it like I see it.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:19 PM

1 posts, read 5,740 times
Post Cheap Places to Live in Florida

I am a Canadian citizen, (Newfoundlander). I am located in one of the coldest provinces in Canada and am now close to retirement. I was wondering if someone could give me some information about a quiet place to live in Florida. I was thinking about Ocala, Florida but some of the reviews I've seen kind of got me thinking. I will be drawing a pension from my workplace and am wondering about inexpensive housing, taxes, etc. It doesn't matter if it is a townhouse, apt. 55+ living.

Can anyone out there guide me as to where the best place would be. I don't want to shovel another blade of snow as long as I am on the face of this earth. LOL

Old 10-30-2010, 10:36 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,853,022 times
Are you a big city person, or do you like suburbs or small towns? How close to the beach do you want to be? Do you want at least three distinctive seasons, or always over 75F? Any health issues that require specialized care?

Old 11-21-2010, 07:20 AM

2 posts, read 7,480 times
how about Ocala, or should I say slow Calla. If you are in the medical field, jobs are plentiful. Housing market has come down abit due to the crash so you can pick up a pretty decent home for a lot less. You will be close to a few beaches. Traffic is not unbearable yet. This is definitely the place to be to raise a family, but if you are single, this is not the place for you!

Old 12-27-2010, 02:52 PM

1 posts, read 5,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
You want to live in Florida? Start out somewhere else, then retire in Florida. Or better yet, stay in a state with better pay and less expenses, save up and come to Florida for vacation. I live 200 feet from the ocean and have not been boating in years. You'll spend your life working or inside with air conditioning. Last time I went to the beach and swam I was 10 years old. If you MUST live in Florida go inland. Stay away from refugee infested areas or you'll never have a decent career.
what you said ******.i cant stand yall dirty as honkeys talking smack.cracker.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:26 PM

7 posts, read 68,435 times
Default Wanna move

My husband and I are thinking about moving to Florida in a few months. We like the big cities, but as long as we are somewhat close to one we don't mind mid-size cities. He is going to study in the medical field and I have a BA in management and tourism, plus I studied languages (incl. French and Spanish). We love the Florida weather, but are looking for a somewhat affordable place to settle down (we would like to have kids in a few years), we're looking to rent, not buy (one bedroom would be fine for now, preferably under $ 1000/m). Would love to be close to the beach, but could deal with an hour or so away as well. Anybody got any suggestions for us?

Old 01-03-2011, 05:28 PM

4,896 posts, read 14,144,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsforchrist View Post
I am thinking of moving to Florida this summer and would like your opinion of the best place to live and work?

The best place to live is at home with your parents & work in the family business.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:23 AM

1 posts, read 5,206 times
we are thinking of moving to fl. don't know where we vaca in kissimee every year for the past 12 years, we live in nh its real cold tired of the snow and cold looking for somthing warm we love kissimmee when we are there although it gets too hot in the summer we just don't know i read all these posts and wow is it realy that bad in fl. prices are high in nh. there is no jobs anyware in the us. my husband has been looking for a job here for over a year no luck crime well come on where there is people you have crime . just to find a place that has less crime .fl. has alot of heat nh. is real cold . i thought maybe lakeland fl. what do you think am i making a mistake ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida