Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2008, 05:05 AM

48,146 posts, read 22,010,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
My, my, my, but there's been some good eatin' hereabouts over the past few days! Took me the better part of 30 minutes just to catch up with everyone, and now I'm drooling on the keyboard.

We had a glorious few days up in Door County: beautiful, sunny days, cool nights, and a much less crowded experience, now that "the season" is past. It was a wonderful break, and both the spouse and I are much the better for it.

Lots of food experiences to share, though the best of them were really breakfasts rather than suppers. We stayed at our favorite bed-n-breakfast in Sister Bay, a century-old house that has six rooms (and no internet!) and simply reveled in the opportunity to ratchet down to a slower pace. The hosts make sure that there's always a plentiful supply of fresh, home-made cookies in the sitting room, and at this time of year, they also keep a steady supply of hot spiced cider on tap as well... a great thing to come back to after a day of hiking Peninsula State Park, let me assure you! And the breakfasts.... oh, my. Poached pears stuffed with walnuts and golden raisins, cherry-stuffed French toast, spinach and Swiss cheese frittata, baked apples with cinnamon and brown sugar -- but I'll stop, this is the supper thread, not breakfast.

Dinners on the peninsula ranged from good to supremely excellent. We try to find places that the locals go to rather than the tourist traps, and the results are kind of mixed. Tuesday's supper of grilled salmon with dill sauce, potatoes mashed with rutabaga, spiced apples, and lingonberry sauce was probably the best, Wednesday's meal of whitefish almondine and roasted red potatoes was quite good (though they overcooked their vegetables something awful) and Thursday's meal of steak and hash-browns was decent, nothing spectacular.

What's really fun about Door County is the desserts. Door County is cherry country, and they specialize in all manner of cherry dishes. The cherry pie on Tuesday night was really, really good - the spouse says the crust was as good as mine, which from him is high praise indeed. We had frozen turtle pie with hot fudge topping on Wednesday night, and that was also excellent; no cherries, but lots of chocolate... Noma would have approved. Thursday night, we were too full for dessert, though that might well have been the best part of the meal.

We toured a winery while we were up there, and of course had to sample their wares. <grin> Came back with three bottles for the wine cellar: a cherry chardonnay that is very, very good (very faint overlay of cherry flavor, mostly just a good chardonnay but faintly pink - quite fine), a cabernet sauvignon that is excellent, and a red that's one of the winery's specialties, named after the vintner's first grand-daughter, very tasty indeed.

Here's wishing all of you a wonderful weekend, and a great end of September!
Such a wonderful tour, I so enjoyed it! Thanks for taking us along! The B&B sounds great! Is Doors Co in Michigan....the upper peninusla? It really sounds lovely.

We had a frequent poster from the Maine forum recently move back there and he compared it with Northern Maine.

Again, Thanks. (My reps are locked up; I gave too many out in past 24 hrs.)

Old 09-27-2008, 05:58 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,855,297 times
Good morning all-MWBW felt I was there with you. Have never been there but have a sis-in-law that's gone and loved it.

Everyone's menus sounded so good.

GrannyR has enlivened the forum with her wit.

Crazy-we have 2 MIA-Kshe95 and Nic. Hope they're okay.

Old 09-27-2008, 06:14 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,267,642 times
Good morning, all. Well, it's already established we're having the ribs we didn't have last night. Cross your fingers the rain stays away.

GOod to see y'all this morning. Yes, Granny is a lot of fun. Glad she joined us. We also have a new person - welcome Sizzly. I hope you enjoy and drop in often.

Old 09-27-2008, 06:18 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,316,787 times
Ahhh, thanks elston and everyone else! How very kind! I truely love this thread and the people who come here and share. It has become my home away from home. I couldn't do it without all of you! Again, thanks!

Old 09-27-2008, 06:20 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,316,787 times
I sent both Kshe95 and Nic a DM asking if they are ok and to let them know they are missed here. It has been over a month to a month and a half since either has posted on the forum anywhere! Maybe they are both very busy---I also hope all is going well with them. Hopefully they will check in with us!

Old 09-27-2008, 06:45 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,435,285 times
I have decided to prepare Veal Piccata, since I am enjoying my day off from work today

I just pulled a recipe from the web, and have all ingredients on hand.
The problem is, it is prepared with white wine....and I know I am going to end up measuring like : "a sip for the sauce, a sip for MB2.....a sip for the sauce, a sip for MB2"......ROTFL.

The Veal will be served with a fresh tossed salad, with lots of fresh herbs from my garden, pasta and homemade garlic bread.

I also want to give you guys the "heads up" on a product......(nope, no advertisement, and I don't own stock in that company....LOL...it's just a good product, I happen to end up liking)
Usually, I prepare my own salad dressing, with the recipe I had gotten from my MIL.
Nothing special, but very tasty and good (salt, pepper, olive oil, a little garlic powder, a little sugar, fresh basil and some apple cider vinegar).
However, I bought several new dressings from "Wishbone", which are called Bountifuls. (New product!)

I bought "Berry Delight", "Hearty Italian" and "Tuscan Romano Basil".
Absolutely delicious, and I can highly recommend !

I also use those ready- made salad dressings to marinade my meat in, and keep them on hand.

The bad part is, the bottles those new dressings come in, are very small, IMHO. (9.5 oz)

Just an FYI for all you salad lovers out there.

Old 09-27-2008, 06:50 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,855,297 times
Thank you MB-will try them.

May try CrazyW's chicken tonight, if not just dipped in egg wash, crushed onion rings. Mashed for Mr. L, fresh green beans and garlic.

Old 09-27-2008, 06:52 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,213,315 times
Morning all, spaghetti came out great last night. Tonight for dinner, absolutely no idea. Son has football at 5 which means we won't be home til around 8 so pizza maybe? Hubby gets home this afternoon so I am turning all household duties to him as soon as gets in the door. I am over it. He can cook. LOL

Old 09-27-2008, 07:51 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,020,248 times
Going to a Watkins products open house so I'm guessing it'll be alot of pretzels and dips.... Thankfully I like pretzels and their dips!

Old 09-27-2008, 07:51 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,745,369 times
MB2 so good to see you...Just the name Tuscan Romano Basil peaked my interest.

Have a great day all.......have a Bridal Shower today which I am dreading. This is a bride with OCD who even picked her own date for her shower. The bad thing is she is marrying my nephew. (Sorry I'm bad).
When they first got engaged, she set up a website and promptly told people that she could not invite everyone but if anyone wanted to come then it would cost 58.00 per person. Then a check list for all to see. Wedding Dress - check Bridesmaids - check Wedding Location - check

My nephew made her take it down.
Yes folks, Love is blind. LOL

I am doing this for my sister and brother in law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink