Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What race would I go by?
white 39 37.50%
black 11 10.58%
Mexican(hispanic) 1 0.96%
mixed 53 50.96%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 02:14 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,861,166 times

Advertisements

Google Toni Preckwinkle, the head of Cook County, IL (Chicago). She definitely identifies as black but she looks more European than African. What would you guess her percentage of African ancestry is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2017, 02:28 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,771,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Exactly. We're all one species.

I was going to go with "Descendant of Homo Erectus" but that wasn't a choice.
And of course all races are so much different and not only in looks but in inner furnishings.

Old 08-21-2017, 02:41 PM

29 posts, read 26,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
You don't know that. It's true people from Latin America are from varied backgrounds, but a large portion of them do have Native American ancestry. On average: "18% Native American ancestry, 65.1% European ancestry (mostly from the Iberian Peninsula), and 6.2% African ancestry".

Genetic study reveals surprising ancestry of many Americans | Science | AAAS

It varies by location of course though: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic..._Latin_America

Also, with most DNA tests, the majority of the samples for the Native American group are from Latin America - so people with NA ancestry in Latin America are more likely to get results in that category than people who have NA ancestry in the USA.

I'm not saying he is definitely Hispanic, just that he could be, at least in part.

Jon, AncestryDNA only has one category for Native American including all of the Americas, it does not specify "Native Mexican" - so how do know it's Mexican? Do you already know some of your ancestry is from Mexico? Have you done any research on your family tree?
Thats exactly what I said. Native-American is only a building block of the Hispanic ethnicity... That doesn't mean you are Latino if you are a native american person or if you have a native american ancestor, which is the case in this situation. So he's not Latin... He is just partially Native-american.

It would be the same as me saying I'm latino because I have African ancestry, which is also a part of the composition of the ethnicity of Latin-American people

Ultimately, if my maternal grandfather is from the Iberian peninsula, my maternal grandmother from Africa and my father native American, I'm still not Hispanic. That would only make me being mixed with the three. Having the same ethnicities as Latino people doesn't make you Latino or Hispanic.

That is what I was trying to say

Last edited by Sergi7; 08-21-2017 at 02:56 PM..

Old 08-21-2017, 02:43 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
There are all kinds of folks in one's heritage wood pile. As to the OP, I say Caucasian.

Old 08-21-2017, 02:51 PM

30,141 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon dna View Post
I just took my dna test and I got some strange results I was not expecting, first I am 60% white mostly from north europe(scandinavia, ireland, germnay) then it said I was 10% native Mexican and 30% black. However heres the problem I don't look like this mixture at all, most people think I am Italian, Spanish or arabic with my dark brown hair, tan skin, straight/wavy hair yet white features. So my question is what race do I go by now?

PS i forgot to add this to the poll but would i actually be considered hispanic? since hispanics are mixed of white, black and native?
How about just go with the Human Race. That is all that is important.

Old 08-21-2017, 03:33 PM

18 posts, read 19,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
What race did you consider yourself to be before you tested?
I would honestly put down something different every time, and tbh sometimes i put down white, sometimes mixed and sometimes hispanic. Probabaly mostly hispanic now that i think about it.

Old 08-21-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
You don't know that. It's true people from Latin America are from varied backgrounds, but a large portion of them do have Native American ancestry. On average: "18% Native American ancestry, 65.1% European ancestry (mostly from the Iberian Peninsula), and 6.2% African ancestry".

Genetic study reveals surprising ancestry of many Americans | Science | AAAS

It varies by location of course though: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic..._Latin_America

Also, with most DNA tests, the majority of the samples for the Native American group are from Latin America - so people with NA ancestry in Latin America are more likely to get results in that category than people who have NA ancestry in the USA.

I'm not saying he is definitely Hispanic, just that he could be, at least in part.

Jon, AncestryDNA only has one category for Native American including all of the Americas, it does not specify "Native Mexican" - so how do know it's Mexican? Do you already know some of your ancestry is from Mexico? Have you done any research on your family tree?
Yes i have Ancestry DNA and on the genetic communities map it shows genetics from parts of mexico.

Old 08-21-2017, 03:38 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon dna View Post
I would honestly put down something different every time,
the only time i ever been ask was by the government, nobody else cares

Old 08-21-2017, 03:38 PM

10,207 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergi7 View Post
Thats exactly what I said.
You emphatically and specifically said he is NOT Hispanic. Again, you don't know that, he could be Hispanic. Or not. You should not make absolute statements when there's only a possibility of it. It sounds like Jon already knows he's at least part Hispanic.

Old 08-21-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobear View Post
Google Toni Preckwinkle, the head of Cook County, IL (Chicago). She definitely identifies as black but she looks more European than African. What would you guess her percentage of African ancestry is?
I googled her and she looks very black to me, I would guess 70+% black maybe? Her hair is pretty curly/nappy and her skin is darker than mine. However since you pointed her out specifically I am going to guess maybe she might be the rare cases of high european ancestry but looks black?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy