Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 01:48 PM

14 posts, read 20,998 times

Advertisements

Thank you for your suggestions - much appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 09:41 AM

140 posts, read 267,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Schwerin View Post
Gustav Melsing was married on March 23,1856 to Elizabeth Schwerin.
In 1872was employed as a baker [Columbia Bakery] at 1129 Dupont st., San Francisco [now Grant ave]
1878 was living at727 Broadway and in 1879 was living at 2126 Howard.
Gustav then listed himself as a confectioner dealing in fancy baked goods
Daughters Louisa and Maria were living with their parents at this time.
In 1880 the bakery was located at 120 3rd. st. and the family was living at205 Minna.
The bakery was owned by August Schwerin was deeded to Gustav in late 1881. August and Elizabeth Schwerin [Gustavs wife] were brother and sister.
Interesting ..... my grandmother's mother was Dorothea Melsing who married George Bunker

Parks, Kerner and Bunker Family History
Parks, Kerner and Bunker Family History

Old 05-16-2015, 06:25 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Very appreciative to this thread. While I no longer have access to search features on Ancestry.com (I periodically buy 6 month subscriptions when the deals and my cash are right), but would certainly be willing to help in other ways and when I do have a subscription. For those who need foot detective work, I'm in NYC!

Old 05-22-2015, 08:29 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,556,278 times
So I take it this offer is too old and no one actually does look-ups now.

I was a member some years ago but ran into a bunch of dead ends and it stopped being worth the monthly cost for very little return.

Anyway I am posting just in case.

I found a note on one of my ancestor files and I do not recall much about it so I am hopeful that someone may be able to check into it.

It is a database on Ancestry titled:
Upper Brittany, France Births & Christenings, 1501-1907

I found a Julien Simon bn 12 Apr 1674 in Rennes, Ille-et-Vilaine, Bretagne, France but have never been able to verify if this is the Julien that is my ancestor. I wondered if it contains any parental information.

If anyone could provide that answer I would be grateful.

Old 05-24-2015, 02:16 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
So I take it this offer is too old and no one actually does look-ups now.

I was a member some years ago but ran into a bunch of dead ends and it stopped being worth the monthly cost for very little return.

Anyway I am posting just in case.

I found a note on one of my ancestor files and I do not recall much about it so I am hopeful that someone may be able to check into it.

It is a database on Ancestry titled:
Upper Brittany, France Births & Christenings, 1501-1907

I found a Julien Simon bn 12 Apr 1674 in Rennes, Ille-et-Vilaine, Bretagne, France but have never been able to verify if this is the Julien that is my ancestor. I wondered if it contains any parental information.

If anyone could provide that answer I would be grateful.
This record?

Name: Julien Simon
Date: 12 avr. 1674 (12 Apr 1674)
Place: Rennes, Ille-et-Vilaine
Record Type: Baptême
Compiler: ABGH Parchemin
Full Text: SIMON Julien, de Julien & Gillette COCHARD, (+26 04 1674), 12 04 1674

Unfortunately, it's an index-only record so there's no original document to see but here's their info on the original source and where to find it:

This database contains birth and christening data indexed from original parish and civil vital records by members of ABGH Parchemin, a genealogical association in France. Records approximately cover the years 1501-1907 for Upper Brittany, France.

The database represents records that have been indexed by the association for the departments of Ille-et-Vilaine, Côtes-d'Armor, and other departments. There are nearly 1.1 million birth and christening records represented in this database. While this is a significant amount of records, it does not necessarily cover all birth records in existence for this time and place.

Information listed in this database includes:
Name of child

Birth or christening date

Birth or christening place (parish, city, department)

Name(s) of compiler(s) who indexed the data

The database also includes the full text for each indexed record, which may provide additional information such as the names of the child's parents and names of witnesses.

Historical Background:
Government civil registration was instituted in France in 1792. Both Catholic and Protestant church records began being kept in the mid-1500s. Church records, therefore, are especially important for genealogical research before 1792.

Where to go from here:
Use the information found in this database to obtain a copy of an original birth or christening record. Original records include birth certificates, and birth and christening registers (both civil and ecclesiastical).
For years where both church and civil records are available, you will likely want to obtain copies of both record types, as the information provided in each may be different. Birth and christening records may include details about the parents of the child such as their residences, occupations, birth information, ages, and even witnesses’ names. The difference in the information provided will vary according to whether the record is civil or ecclesiastical, as well as the time period in which the record was created.

Old 05-25-2015, 08:03 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,357,189 times
Is anyone still offering help trying to look up past ancestors? I used our public library and got to see ship manifests for most of my father's family who came to Ellis Island from Italy. I was not able to find much on my mother's side, also from Italy. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-25-2015, 08:07 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Is anyone still offering help trying to look up past ancestors? I used our public library and got to see ship manifests for most of my father's family who came to Ellis Island from Italy. I was not able to find much on my mother's side, also from Italy. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island

I haven't used that site in a few years, it should still be free but they will try to sell you high resolution posters of the results which is absolutely unnecessary. Try searches with a number of spelling variations, many times when an immigrant boarded a ship the clerk would spell the name phonetically or not include the entire last name, particularly if it was hyphenated.

Old 05-29-2015, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Do you know where in Italian your mother's side came from? There's LOTS of Italian records available on microfilm or online at FamilySearch.org or Home | Ancestors. The ones at the State Archives aren't indexed so you have to manually browse the images. And many of the ones at FamilySearch.org aren't indexed either, so they won't show up in a name search, you'll have to find the right collection and manually go through the images.

When looking for ship manifests, many Italian names were misspelled or indexed incorrectly so they can be hard to find. If anyone from your mother's side was naturalized, I would look for their naturalization records - that can help you find their passenger list too. Many naturalization records aren't available online though so again, check microfilm at FamilySearch.org.

Old 06-24-2015, 05:19 PM

166 posts, read 153,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Just thought it'd be good to start a thread for this - if you need an ancestry.com look up, just ask here and I'll be happy to help. I imagine others would be willing to as well - anyone?

Just don't abuse it and ask for like 10+ look ups, we're not going to research your entire family tree - if you have that many look ups, it's worth it to pay for at least a months worth of access to ancestry.com. One month isn't going to break the bank.
Is this still active? Could you look up William Farrington of Caroline County, VA? His wife was Priscilla and he was born about 1833.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanfurr246 View Post
Is this still active? Could you look up William Farrington of Caroline County, VA? His wife was Priscilla and he was born about 1833.
Is this possibly his marriage record?

Name: William C Farington
Spouse: Priscilla Swaim
Spouse Gender: Female
Bond Date: 14 Mar 1866
Bond #: 000169363
Marriage Date: 14 Mar 1866
Level Info: North Carolina Marriage Bonds, 1741-1868
ImageNum: 007780
County: Yadkin
Record #: 01 025
Witness: J G Marler
Performed By: J D Holcomb Justice of the Peace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy