Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2012, 07:59 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,787,860 times

Advertisements

Newfoundland should be an island of oddities, from its proximity to France (i.e. St Pierre et Miquelon), to its time zone, to yielding its once independent status first to Britain then to Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 09:11 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
Despite their appearance, Colorado and Wyoming are not perfectly rectangular. They are technically closer to polygon in shape.
To begin with, Wyoming's east-west border is 365 miles on the south, but only 342 miles on the north. Similarly, Colorado's northern border is 21 miles shorter than its southern border. This is, of course, due to the natural curvature of the earth.
But curvature aside, the states of Colorado and Wyoming are still not perfect rectangles. These two states actually have small jogs in their otherwise straight-line borders. These border kinks resulted from surveyors' errors long ago. The imperfections can easily seen on Google Maps. Simply zoom in on the Four Corners region of UT/AZ/CO/NM, and you can see that the border shared by Utah and Colorado contains an obvious jog. Another kink in the border between those states can be seen further north, near Bedrock, CO. And Wyoming has a jog in its western border with Idaho.
I discovered that one day on Google Maps. From what I could tell no "straight" border for any state is actually straight. They all zig and zag a little.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:35 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I discovered that one day on Google Maps. From what I could tell no "straight" border for any state is actually straight. They all zig and zag a little.
I've heard that there is a strip along the Colorado-Wyoming line that is not in either state, due to surveyors errors. But I can't verify that and it might just be local lore.

By settled law, once a border is defined on the ground and accepted by the interested parties, it becomes official, even if it doesn't follow the written description. Otherwise, there would be borders changing all the time according to the technology of astronomical measurement and surveying exactness. Furthermore, the exact location of the poles changes slightly over eons of time, and the polar positions define the alignment of meridians and parallels, which would shift along with the poles.

Owing to the Chandler Wobble of the earth's axis, the parallel of latitude that defines the WY/CO border (and the US/Canada border, and the equator) drifts north and south by several meters about every 435 days. The magnitude of the wobble fluctuates, but is enough to be relevant to meter-scale GPS precision.

By the way, there are only three states whose borders are entirely defined by survey lines and not by natural features. Colorado, Wyoming and Utah. Montana has no borders defined by waterways, but its Idaho border is defined by mountain ridge. New Mexico has 16 miles of Texas border defined by the Rio Grande, but it is almost all on dry land now, due to rechanneling of the river.

Last edited by jtur88; 02-27-2012 at 10:07 AM..

Old 02-27-2012, 04:26 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
The Island of Marthas Vinyard is about 15% smaller than it was in 2000!

Old 02-27-2012, 08:31 PM

4,364 posts, read 4,563,604 times
At LF Wade International Airport in Bermuda, the main runway runs parallel to the ocean, separated by less than 200 feet. This air strip is also flanked by the ocean on both ends. Talk about your tricky landings!

In Canada, 90% of the population lives within 100 miles of the border with the lower 48 US states. This narrow strip represents only about 10% of Canada's total area.

San Bernardino County, California is so large...
1. It's bigger than each of nine US states, including Maryland.
2. The five boroughs of New York City would fit into San Bernadino County almost 43 times.
3. It's larger than many entire nations, such as the Dominican Republic, Haiti, or Costa Rica.
4. It's bigger than RI, DE, CT and HI combined.
5. About a dozen Great Salt Lakes would fit into San Bernadino County.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:01 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
The Island of Marthas Vinyard is about 15% smaller than it was in 2000!
Is it because of erosion?

Anyway, I have another one about Martha's Vineyard. Until the 1690s, the island was part of Dukes County, New York! Dukes also included Nantucket Island at the time.

Today Dukes is part of Massachusetts but his long lost Dutchess is still in New York.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Is it because of erosion?

Anyway, I have another one about Martha's Vineyard. Until the 1690s, the island was part of Dukes County, New York! Dukes also included Nantucket Island at the time.

Today Dukes is part of Massachusetts but his long lost Dutchess is still in New York.
No, in 2007 a storm split a barrier beach spilting and Island off from the main Island.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:16 AM

63 posts, read 78,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
No, in 2007 a storm split a barrier beach spilting and Island off from the main Island.

Would'nt a storm splitting the Island off from the mainland be erosion?

PS, Great thread, can't believe how many times I've pulled out the atlas while reading this!

Old 02-28-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderWhitewater View Post
Would'nt a storm splitting the Island off from the mainland be erosion?

PS, Great thread, can't believe how many times I've pulled out the atlas while reading this!
but 15% of the Island didn't just disappear, as I realized my orginal statement leads one to believe.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:39 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Florida is the only state that has a tall building higher than the natural highest point in the state. Kansas has a big grain elevator on ground that is about 200 feet short of Mount Sunflower, but I can't find out how high the elevator is. A few states have residential neighborhoods at their highest point, where some ordinary nearby houses are higher than the high point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.