Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 06:11 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,850,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
So true. As a group, they are considered fair game for "dislike" because they are white protestants. The same folks that are being critical of the Dutch Reformed on this thread would cry foul if similar things were said about a different group of people.
I don't have a problem with basically ANY religion, until they start proselytizing all non-believers, try turning our country into a theocracy, or start treating "outsiders" as third rate. That's when I start throwing barbs at them (well deserved).

If the entire globe kept their religious beliefs to themselves, think of how great this planet would be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 08:22 PM

943 posts, read 2,280,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
So true. As a group, they are considered fair game for "dislike" because they are white protestants. The same folks that are being critical of the Dutch Reformed on this thread would cry foul if similar things were said about a different group of people.
I am a white "Protestant" [well fundamentalist]

So its wrong to be honest about criticisms of any group? I know I was taking a risk here being honest about how I felt. Maybe I should have couched it differently and written there are aspects of that culture that are NOT for me. I will say I got a bit emotional and did broad brush it a bit so sorry about that.

Anyhow right now I have no contact with Dutch Reformed so I am not making of them miserable.

I do take each person as an individual FIRST anyhow and would not know what church someone goes to unless they told me. There Dutch people Im sure like Irish who left their families religion anyhow.

Old 11-17-2009, 05:13 AM

358 posts, read 1,063,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
i don't have a problem with basically any religion, until they start proselytizing all non-believers, try turning our country into a theocracy, or start treating "outsiders" as third rate. That's when i start throwing barbs at them (well deserved).
+1

Old 11-17-2009, 08:30 AM

11,759 posts, read 14,650,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suydam View Post
I find most people's statements about the intolerance of the Dutch Reform, CRC, etc offensive. Seriously. If we were having this discussion about those of the Jewish Faith, or people who are here as Sudanese refugees it would immediately labeled as bigotry.

At it's heart, it's not PC mumbo-jumbo... it's called making broad, negative generalizations about an entire group of people. Sorry, but I don't appreciate that.
So apparently you've never seen the "If you ain't Dutch, you ain't mutch" bumperstickers you see all over the place in the Grand Rapids area?

Old 11-17-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
So apparently you've never seen the "If you ain't Dutch, you ain't mutch" bumperstickers you see all over the place in the Grand Rapids area?
Huh? I've never seen one of those in Grand Rapids, and I've lived here 15 years. Maybe a few Jesus fish here and there.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:48 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,310,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Huh? I've never seen one of those in Grand Rapids, and I've lived here 15 years. Maybe a few Jesus fish here and there.
I've lived in the Grand Rapids area my entire life and have never seen that quote on a bumper sticker but I sure have heard it said many, many times...usually in a joking manner by a Christian Reform person. I've also seen it on a coffee cup or two. To me, it's akin to having the t-shirts or cups that boast about being Irish.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:55 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
East coast progressives in Michigan???? Hmmm I dont think they will like anywhere in Michigan exept maybe Ann Arbor. Michigan is a state of pick up driving, deer hunting, beer drinking, gun owning NRA members who may or may not belong to the Michigan Militia. Why on earth would an east coast liberal even think of moving here? I think they would be more comfortable in their ultra tolerant, latte drinking, prius driving, tree hugging northeastern homestate. If they do move out here, THEY should change and adapt to our culture, not preach to us about how we ignorant provinicals need to be enlightend.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:41 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,310,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
East coast progressives in Michigan???? Hmmm I dont think they will like anywhere in Michigan exept maybe Ann Arbor. Michigan is a state of pick up driving, deer hunting, beer drinking, gun owning NRA members who may or may not belong to the Michigan Militia. Why on earth would an east coast liberal even think of moving here? I think they would be more comfortable in their ultra tolerant, latte drinking, prius driving, tree hugging northeastern homestate. If they do move out here, THEY should change and adapt to our culture, not preach to us about how we ignorant provinicals need to be enlightend.
Wow, I can't believe you really believe those stereotypes apply to the entire state. It simply isn't true.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Bwahahahahaha! Hey, Sarah Palin is in GR today if you want to see some of your peeps.

Last edited by magellan; 11-18-2009 at 10:22 AM..

Old 11-18-2009, 09:13 AM

3 posts, read 6,522 times
Quote:
I grew up in the Northeast and also spent many years in Washington DC (now live in Michigan) and definitely disagree with the thought that the liberal Northeast is ultra tolerant. If you don't have a liberal worldview, you're not welcome to share your opinion or thoughts. Surpressing all-things conservative is the mantra in most media and educational outlets.

And by the way - Latte drinking is the minority, trumped by Dunkin Donuts. They own the Northeast coffee drinkers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area