Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 08:37 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Be careful with stereotyping and painting with a broad brush. Generalizations can be useful sometimes, but to say that all Christian Reformed people "wouldn't give a disabled person a second look" is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. That is no better than making a blanket statement about "all black people."
I totally agree. My husband is in a wheelchair and has been for years. West Michigan people as a whole bend over backwards to offer to help with doors, loading and unloading the wheelchair even offering to help with transfers. We can't go any where in the Grand Rapids/Rockford area without getting 3-5 offers of help per trip to the store or out for lunch, etc. More than a few times I've seen people get up from their meal to come rush to the door to help us get inside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 08:49 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,605,145 times
Quote:
You have to admit though that there are A LOT of Christian Reformed people who may not be as hostile, but look at all non-CRC, non-Christians and non-religious as "potential recruits" to the good word.
Yup, that is true. I can definitely understand why people would be annoyed by it. It's what the church teaches them to do, though, so it's not really that surprising I guess.

Old 11-13-2009, 04:19 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,856,367 times
Quote:
Yup, that is true. I can definitely understand why people would be annoyed by it. It's what the church teaches them to do, though, so it's not really that surprising I guess.
Well I guess they could be somewhat free thinkers and not follow their religion like a cult. Ya know, like we Catholics do.

Old 11-13-2009, 06:24 PM

358 posts, read 1,063,246 times
I used to live in Holland and don't anymore because it was a little too pious for me. But I would say it was at the level of a mild annoyance and not a major problem.

A tolerant person should have no problem with the Dutch people. But a pagan, atheist or someone who has a bad reaction to religion is not going to like it there.

I have seen a lot more bigotry against the Dutch people than by the Dutch people.

I find the culture somewhat interesting, similar to the way I find the Amish interesting. I think it would be sad if those two groups became homogenized yankees.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:31 AM

Quote:
I find the culture somewhat interesting, similar to the way I find the Amish interesting. I think it would be sad if those two groups became homogenized yankees.
That is an interesting take. The Dutch Reformed culture does add to the "cultural diversity" of West Michigan, even if it is a culture that some don't care for. It's a pretty unique thing.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:47 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
Quote:
Hmmm...

If the rest of the country treated progressives like this... would they all leave?

Something to ponder.
Progressives and liberals are used to being treated like this, and we're not going anywhere. It's our country too.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:51 AM

I lived in Grand Rapids for about four years in the early 80's and we left, in part because it was too conservative for us. We did have a solid corps of liberal friends, but the overall atmosphere was pretty conservative. We were friends with one couple who lived in Holland because the husband was a professor at Hope, but I suspect they didn't really mesh with the very conservative population of Holland.

To the extent the OP is still thinking about the move, there are plenty of nice places to live in Western Michigan, and I wouldn't steer you away from it, but I think you're likely to find GR more congenial than Holland. And if you're interested in the lake, even from GR it's a short drive to many beautiful beaches; sometimes we would drive over after work just for the decompression that a couple of hours on the beach provides.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshop View Post
That would be up to you depending on how judgemental you come across to others. In general, progressive liberals tend to be far more judgemental than the typical church goer. I know that it is spun the other way around...which only serves to prove my point.
No, the statement just proves that your perception is diametrically opposed to reality.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:49 AM

845 posts, read 3,272,099 times
I find most people's statements about the intolerance of the Dutch Reform, CRC, etc offensive. Seriously. If we were having this discussion about those of the Jewish Faith, or people who are here as Sudanese refugees it would immediately labeled as bigotry.

At it's heart, it's not PC mumbo-jumbo... it's called making broad, negative generalizations about an entire group of people. Sorry, but I don't appreciate that.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:
I find most people's statements about the intolerance of the Dutch Reform, CRC, etc offensive. Seriously. If we were having this discussion about those of the Jewish Faith, or people who are here as Sudanese refugees it would immediately labeled as bigotry.

At it's heart, it's not PC mumbo-jumbo... it's called making broad, negative generalizations about an entire group of people. Sorry, but I don't appreciate that.
So true. As a group, they are considered fair game for "dislike" because they are white protestants. The same folks that are being critical of the Dutch Reformed on this thread would cry foul if similar things were said about a different group of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area