Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2019, 02:51 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,128,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
When workers dont organize, their future is decided by Wall Street. You can try and run for Congress and see how you'll do. Even if you work like a dog to get elected and every person in your state support your policies, you wont even get 1% of the vote unless you're swimming in money. Thats the power of money.
Yes that's the power of money. And when it is teased in front of politicians its considerably more dangerous. And no one leaves office poor. I wonder why that is? ... ...

Those corporate executives you hate are the same people that become those politicians with money and politicians with money are the same people in your corporate boardrooms. Depending on the election cycle they just swap chairs. They pay for one another's elections. Same circles. When you get enough money and are narcissistic enough they run for office. When they lose the vote they head to the boardroom. THESE ARE THE SAME PEOPLE.

I don't understand how anyone thinks that elitists in the government are going to care for you any better then elitist executives on Wall Street. Do they suddenly become saints when in office and care for you? An elitists in government is even more dangerous! Gov't elitists control the military, the laws, the police, the guns, what is hate speech, ... a Microsoft, Oracle or Wall Streeter CEO pails in comparison. Yet you all embrace them. It makes no sense.

You're actually all for billionaire and millionaire elitists as long as they are in the Gov't, have a "D" next to their name and are not, at the time, in a boardroom. They collect donations from their corporate care givers for the next election cycle. Then get placed on a board when they retire. Never mind that they probably came from a boardroom or are headed to one eventually.

I don't know how to explain this any plainer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2019, 02:54 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,034,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Besides your statement not being true, the reason is cost. I am willing to pay market rate for my healthcare, just as I am for my car, my food, and my housing. If you want a car, food, housing, or in this case... healthcare... I think you should pay the market rate too. Making more money doesn't mean you should have to pay more for the identical good or service.

Because whenever I have a good or service that somebody wants, I want to be paid for it.

If that's what the market deems it is worth, then so be it. In reality, this is more of a problem with how insurance is handled... not with the free market.

Transparency in charges beforehand would be nice. You can always simply ask for how much something will be and if "they" won't tell you, then you simply refuse treatment. When you go to a restaurant, and you see something is labeled M.P. (market price), did you know that you can ask your server for how much that actually is? And based on the answer, you can either buy or not buy the product? Amazing stuff, I know.

I don't fight so hard to protect billionaires from getting richer. I fight to protect my own wealth I am creating for myself. The vast majority of Americans (99%+) who are one paycheck away from homelessness have made a critical financial mistake... and probably more than one... so I don't really feel that bad for them.

Got any other leading questions that you need answered?
If people living from pc to pc have done a critical mistake and probably more than one, why is government spending trillions on war it cannot win? or bail out failed corporations such as AIG or GM? or the banks who cannot control their lending yet complain about people s spending??

I am also very much like you, but dont believe that "Free market" BS. Free market is not free when there are only few entities controlling it.

Old 10-25-2019, 02:57 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,034,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Loud View Post
Yes that's the power of money. And when it is teased in front of politicians its considerably more dangerous. And no one leaves office poor. I wonder why that is? ... ...

Those corporate executives you hate are the same people that become those politicians with money and politicians with money are the same people in your corporate boardrooms. Depending on the election cycle they just swap chairs. They pay for one another's elections. Same circles. When you get enough money and are narcissistic enough they run for office. When they lose the vote they head to the boardroom. THESE ARE THE SAME PEOPLE.

I don't understand how anyone thinks that elitists in the government are going to care for you any better then elitist executives on Wall Street. Do they suddenly become saints when in office and care for you? An elitists in government is even more dangerous! Gov't elitists control the military, the laws, the police, the guns, what is hate speech, ... a Microsoft, Oracle or Wall Streeter CEO pails in comparison. Yet you all embrace them. It makes no sense.

You're actually all for billionaire and millionaire elitists as long as they are in the Gov't, have a "D" next to their name and are not, at the time, in a boardroom. They collect donations from their corporate care givers for the next election cycle. Then get placed on a board when they retire. Never mind that they probably came from a boardroom or are headed to one eventually.

I agree with you on many aspects but If you and me are rich, we would do it too. So we should focus on getting richer than worrying about the world.

Old 10-25-2019, 03:46 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,958,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Loud View Post

So why dont you fight to get big money out of politics? You assume your political opponents vote for corporate puppets?

Who do you vote for for Congress and who are their major donors?

Old 10-25-2019, 03:57 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,754,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
I agree with you on many aspects but If you and me are rich, we would do it too. So we should focus on getting richer than worrying about the world.
You will most likely never be rich unless you hit the lottery for $500 million or more, and if you take the lump sum it's less and then it's taxed so maybe you get $150 million.

If I won that I would still be in favor of Universal Healthcare because I am not greedy and selfish and I would help the less fortunate too.

Old 10-25-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
So why dont you fight to get big money out of politics? You assume your political opponents vote for corporate puppets?

Who do you vote for for Congress and who are their major donors?
They just want to complain about it, they will never vote for a person who wants to get big money out of our elections and stop letting corporations run and ruin the country.

Old 10-25-2019, 05:46 PM

2,185 posts, read 1,382,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post
Who isn't paying their taxes? If you have evidence that someone isn't paying their taxes you should report it to the authorities.

If your argument is that they aren't paying their fair share, the top 10% of earners pay 70% of the tax revenue in this country. If you want to talk about people who aren't paying their fair share and stealing, you should be looking at the 40% of people who pay no federal income tax, but have no problem accepting benefits that others have paid for.

And RE Jesus, he was all about helping the poor-voluntarily. He never forced anyone to do anything, nor did he advocate doing so.

This is entirely true and needs to be repeated more often.

OP : you are not entitled to other people's money and no they should not be forced to transfer their dollars over to you so you can pay your bills and go to college at their expense. Go make your own money and stop being envious.

Old 10-25-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
This is entirely true and needs to be repeated more often.

OP : you are not entitled to other people's money and no they should not be forced to transfer their dollars over to you so you can pay your bills and go to college at their expense. Go make your own money and stop being envious.
I'm not envious, that's what you are. I don't want their money I want them to pay their taxes and 3 people have more wealth than half of all Americans so they should be paying the most and they should pay what the middle class pays and not get away with paying almost nothing.

Old 10-25-2019, 06:37 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,784,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
I don't get why any American not in the a1% would be against Universal Healthcare since every other first world nation has it and so do some third world nations.
The cost would be 32 trillion dollars in the first 10 years. It wouldn't matter how much you tax, the rich would leave. Also realize that the rest of the world does not have a "Minimum wage" So the cost of medical care is way less and so are the cost of drugs. Realize also we are the one the world looks to for cures. Think we'd do it for free?

Quote:
Why do you like a system where a private ambulance can refuse to transport you to the hospital unless you pay first.
I haven't seen a private ambulance for 35 years. Where do you live?

Quote:
Why do you think it's fine for insulin which costs $5 to make to be sold for $500?
It's called "Capitalism"

Quote:
Why do you think it's fair for a person to have an illness and need treatment and you go from being charged $1000 a month with a $200 copay to a surprise $20K charge and a $4K copay and then next month calling and being told that they can't tell you how much it will cost ahead of time
Why was it fair for a President to make it free for the poor, but those trying to start their own businesses get hit with a $12K deductible, and monthly costs of $2K? Show me the plan that did that, I do believe you're not telling the truth.

Quote:
And why do you fight so hard and protect billionaires to keep getting richer while many are one paycheck away or one fire or tornado away from being homeless? or going bankrupt from a medical bill or not being able to pay for treatment and end up dead.
Our system rewards those who struggle and succeed. Shall we cater to only those who refuse to seek rewards and demand they be given everything for free?

Old 10-25-2019, 10:02 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,677,330 times
Quote:
I don't get why any American not in the 1% would be against Universal Healthcare since every other first world nation has it and so do some third world nations.

And why do you fight so hard and protect billionaires to keep getting richer while many are one paycheck away or one fire or tornado away from being homeless? or going bankrupt from a medical bill or not being able to pay for treatment and end up dead.

I think you are missing the point here. There are people that believe in keeping what you earn and not penalizing others for being successful. It's easy to steal from the billionaires. It's harder to say that if they earned it they should keep it.

Why should we tax it twice...why should we reap from what they sow?

I earn what I worked to earn, be it 70k, 200k, or more.

Imagine you were on an island with 20 people, and everyone, except for one person, brought 10k worth of gold. That last person brought 190k worth of gold. Why not kill that 20th person and split the gold? Everyone would now have 20k worth of gold. I don't get why people wouldn't do it when everyone else automatically kills people with more gold.

People don't do it because of something called integrity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates