Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 10:36 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,751,621 times

Advertisements

Bodyguard isn't bad either! Both brands aren't available in 50 States to civies if that tells you something. Even the can says LE Govt on it. Places like Mass, NYC, LA etc...fowget about it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 11:07 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,684,438 times
Have one but thinking about giving it to DH for his "encounter w/ that big mean dog" when he runs.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:05 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Barb View Post
I had an interesting conversation the other day and was curious as to in addition to your handgun, how many of your carry pepper spray to have on hand when the use of a handgun can't be used.
No

Pepper Spray has it's uses, but it's a bad idea to bring a can of it to a gun fight.

Otherwise, it's best use is for "dynamic discussion" with people who need to go to jail but don't want to and otherwise want nothing to do with you...

Old 03-24-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
No

Pepper Spray has it's uses, but it's a bad idea to bring a can of it to a gun fight.

Otherwise, it's best use is for "dynamic discussion" with people who need to go to jail but don't want to and otherwise want nothing to do with you...
I don't know, it came in handy for some friends working security at a Mexican dance more than once. The big riot size can was emptied into the crowd of drunkeness and ballroom brawling. Those turds broke it up right now and were on the ground rubbing their faces like it was no tomorrow. A few wanted to keep brawling after they slightly recovered. They got the stun gun for their efforts. When the meat wagon showed up to cart them off...the reply was..."good job men."

Old 03-24-2012, 06:44 PM

^^^All the while, while the Glock 17s remained in the holster... the Walther PPK/S stayed in the SS2 and the NAA .22 Mag micro revolver stayed in their pockets!

Old 03-24-2012, 06:55 PM

It ain't pretty when you are still rubbing your eyes with one hand from the pepper spray while swinging with the other hand. You get hit with the stun gun and go down like a sack of potatoes and see Jesus...pronounced Hey Zeus!

Old 03-24-2012, 07:13 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
This could also bury you in a court room.
Using reloads could place you in a 24/7 cot and hot if a lawyer can say you wanted a KILLER round rather than a factory round.
Imagine what a attorney would say if you chose to defend yourself with a gun shot over the pepper spray?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Kindly cite the court case where this has occured.....
I've been asking that same question for years, even in a direct query to Massad Ayoob who made the original claim. I have never received an answer.

I'm sure that the people manufacturing, wholesaling, and retailing expensive ammo are rather happy if people blindly believe it.

I'm glad to learn that there's at least one other who demands proof.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:14 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,622,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
Unless you are talking about interactions with animals (I always carry pepper spray when camping in areas where this could be a problem) I just don't see where pepper spray (or tasers, stunguns, extendable batons, etc.) fit in on the disparity of force spectrum for most situations (except for law enforcement).

It isn't a potential victim's job to accurately gauge the level of their imminent physical danger and then respond with a symmetrical amount of force. Similarly, it is not a civilian's job to respond to a threat that does not endanger their life or good health.

The role of pepper spray and other non-firearm weapons, in my opinion, is a minimal level of defense when you are unable to have a firearm on your person. it is not something you can trust with your life, and using it can easily escalate a situation. Carrying both a firearm and pepper spray seems legally risky. What events trigger justified use of pepper spray but not lethal force? If use of pepper spray escalates the conflict, is subsequent use of lethal force justified?
As evidenced by the current Trayvon Martin case, there are times when it IS better to carry pepper spray. The hinge here is the legal repercussions you'll face.

I agree with you that pepper spray et al are lower on the scale than firearms, but I disagree that civilians aren't responsible for responding with appropriate force. If you have the skills you also have the responsibility; failing skill, you still have the moral and legal duty to use the proper level of defensive force.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:30 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBBARK View Post
I don't know, it came in handy for some friends working security at a Mexican dance more than once. The big riot size can was emptied into the crowd of drunkeness and ballroom brawling. Those turds broke it up right now and were on the ground rubbing their faces like it was no tomorrow. A few wanted to keep brawling after they slightly recovered. They got the stun gun for their efforts. When the meat wagon showed up to cart them off...the reply was..."good job men."
Few here work security at Mexican dances or anyplace else. We're ordinary citizens who wish to have the means to protect ourselves without weighing ourselves down. I don't carry handcuffs or a stun gun either.

I do carry bear spray in certai situations. It's been proven to be effective, more so than a gun, when used correctly. Besides, I would hate to injure or kill a bear. My feelings towards humans aren't so kind.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Few here work security at Mexican dances or anyplace else. We're ordinary citizens who wish to have the means to protect ourselves without weighing ourselves down. I don't carry handcuffs or a stun gun either.

I do carry bear spray in certai situations. It's been proven to be effective, more so than a gun, when used correctly. Besides, I would hate to injure or kill a bear. My feelings towards humans aren't so kind.
So you see my point then? You can't always fill the guy full of holes. Maybe he just wants to assult you or fight. You don't feel like going a round today. It's actually better for HIM to get sprayed. Thirty minutes to an hour later, it's like it never happened. He isn't missing any teeth, have any broken bones are bruises. Good deal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting