Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 08:25 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,596,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Few here work security at Mexican dances or anyplace else. We're ordinary citizens who wish to have the means to protect ourselves without weighing ourselves down. I don't carry handcuffs or a stun gun either.

I do carry bear spray in certain situations. It's been proven to be effective, more so than a gun, when used correctly. Besides, I would hate to injure or kill a bear. My feelings towards humans aren't so kind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBBARK View Post
So you see my point then? You can't always fill the guy full of holes. Maybe he just wants to assult you or fight. You don't feel like going a round today. It's actually better for HIM to get sprayed. Thirty minutes to an hour later, it's like it never happened. He isn't missing any teeth, have any broken bones are bruises. Good deal!
I carry bear spray for bears, not for people. I've had bears within fifty feet of my house. I carry guns for people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 08:37 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,751,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I carry bear spray for bears, not for people. I've had bears within fifty feet of my house. I carry guns for people.
For me it's at least one handgun, preferably at least two. Plus at least one pocket knife, one tactical pocket clip folder and pepper spray. The pepper spray stays in the vehicle for the use of my first post. More than likely, that's going to be how it is used. It's hard to fight someone swinging into your window while you are belted in. Pepper spray their ass.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:42 PM

Watch that rearview mirror. When the hothead bails out and is rushing your 6, grab it out and have it ready. You might be using it!

Old 03-24-2012, 09:53 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,829,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBBARK View Post
So you see my point then? You can't always fill the guy full of holes. Maybe he just wants to assult you or fight. You don't feel like going a round today. It's actually better for HIM to get sprayed. Thirty minutes to an hour later, it's like it never happened. He isn't missing any teeth, have any broken bones are bruises. Good deal!
If I'm carrying a weapon and someone intends to assault me, then there is a real possibility that they could overcome me, take my weapon and use it against me, which now raises the bar to a level of reasonable fear of imminent bodily harm/death - which means the ability for me to use Deadly Force.

Now...bear in mind that I wore a badge for 6+ years, only drew a weapon a handful of times, had to use it once. Details aren't important, but a hotheaded 16 year-old presented me with a choice that he shouldn't have. No-bill by a GJ reinforced my decision.....but it still weighed heavily on me for many years - so I do NOT take using DF lightly. As a civilian, you're making decisions in split seconds without having significant training in self-defense techniques - nor should you have to. Now, if someone's 5' tall and a c-note in weight vs your 6', 225 lb gym rat body - take care of business. But all too often, that 5' punk will have a blade tucked away in his hand ready to slice you - so I don't allow anyone within my personal space. Period. You'll be verbally warned off, and if you continue your advance then you will be presumed to intend to do me harm, and feel confident in your ability to overcome me. That speaks volumes to my sense of you having something to "make up the difference", and yeah - I will react. Shoot someone? Not in every instance. Prepared to? Always - otherwise, you're better served to leave it at home.

Now, those that don't carry guns will NEVER be able to understand that last couple of sentences - so please don't waste my time trying to dissect it to "prove" how wrong I am - because I understand the law, the threat level that must be presented, etc. You don't.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
If I'm carrying a weapon and someone intends to assault me, then there is a real possibility that they could overcome me, take my weapon and use it against me, which now raises the bar to a level of reasonable fear of imminent bodily harm/death - which means the ability for me to use Deadly Force.

Now...bear in mind that I wore a badge for 6+ years, only drew a weapon a handful of times, had to use it once. Details aren't important, but a hotheaded 16 year-old presented me with a choice that he shouldn't have. No-bill by a GJ reinforced my decision.....but it still weighed heavily on me for many years - so I do NOT take using DF lightly. As a civilian, you're making decisions in split seconds without having significant training in self-defense techniques - nor should you have to. Now, if someone's 5' tall and a c-note in weight vs your 6', 225 lb gym rat body - take care of business. But all too often, that 5' punk will have a blade tucked away in his hand ready to slice you - so I don't allow anyone within my personal space. Period. You'll be verbally warned off, and if you continue your advance then you will be presumed to intend to do me harm, and feel confident in your ability to overcome me. That speaks volumes to my sense of you having something to "make up the difference", and yeah - I will react. Shoot someone? Not in every instance. Prepared to? Always - otherwise, you're better served to leave it at home.

Now, those that don't carry guns will NEVER be able to understand that last couple of sentences - so please don't waste my time trying to dissect it to "prove" how wrong I am - because I understand the law, the threat level that must be presented, etc. You don't.
You're always prepared to shoot. I can take care of business physically with little effort as well. The pepper spray just gives me one more option that you don't have or use. The same with +1 tactical knife. Suppose you get into a scuffle trying your damnest to keep control of your handgun. That pepper spray or knife will back them off. That I can bet money on. I don't rely on only a gun. I've been in more fist fights than many guys ever dreamed of as well. I never lost one yet! Still, I never get cocky that it could happen someday. Gun(s) + knife(s) + pepper spray for me. Come get some!

Old 03-24-2012, 10:14 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,829,912 times
While you're trying to decide which to deploy, I've already made my selection. Seen it happen too many times first hand. I can defuse a physical confrontation pretty easily - have done it for years. Doesn't bother me a bit to walk away from a confrontation if at all possible. I've nothing to "prove" to anyone. If they continue to pursue, then THEY have chosen to take it to another level. Sorry - seen too many of ya'll that could "handle yourselves" being loaded onto a gurney.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
While you're trying to decide which to deploy, I've already made my selection. Seen it happen too many times first hand. I can defuse a physical confrontation pretty easily - have done it for years. Doesn't bother me a bit to walk away from a confrontation if at all possible. I've nothing to "prove" to anyone. If they continue to pursue, then THEY have chosen to take it to another level. Sorry - seen too many of ya'll that could "handle yourselves" being loaded onto a gurney.
I saw what I have been talking about two summers ago on a bridge. This biker fella (approx 40) bailed out of his POS beater car. He walked up to this elderly man's (approx 80) car. A few words of cursing and
a minute later, he punched the old man in the jaw and knocked him clean out. He slumped over in the seat. That SOB ran back to his beater and peeled out of Dodge City. He just laid there slumped over in the seat knocked the hell out. A face full of pepper foam when the shouting was taking place would have been a Jim Dandy and grand. The creep got away Scott free and was never caught. It would have been different if he was coughing like he could barely breath and snot was running out of his mouth and nose with his eyes on fire. I bet he wouldn't have been able to leave. Some of these pepper sprays also have UV light dye in them for further identification. "Wasn't me...wasn't me...wasn't me!" BS...WHY IS YOUR FACE GLOWING YELLOW UNDER THE UV LIGHT? Would I have wanted to shoot that turd for that? Nah, probably not. It would have been awesome if he was hurtin' for an hour and got busted though!

Old 03-25-2012, 09:42 AM

381 posts, read 506,753 times
where i'm from, fist fights or road rage conflicts are very rare. it's common knowledge that if you step over your anger threshold on someone, you might get shot. so people often avoid fights for this reason. as for road rage, it does happen and people get shot. after this had hit the news a few times, incident of road rage has dropped. pepper spray is for those that want stupid people to keep being stupid. firearms are for those that want to eliminate stupid people. violent crime rates have dropped in states that passed castle doctrine laws. states that prefer pepper spray or victims to suck it up have a number of repeat offenders which usually escalates to rape/murder.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:06 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,466,893 times
I have a CC most always, but totally agree about the pepper spray. I have a 13oz bear spray which is really for the road rage guy that you can't really shoot even if he is trying to pull you out of the car or the loose dog that is threatening.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:30 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,596,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
I have a CC most always, but totally agree about the pepper spray. I have a 13oz bear spray which is really for the road rage guy that you can't really shoot even if he is trying to pull you out of the car or the loose dog that is threatening.
If someone attacks me in my car I will be truly fearful of losing my life and I will shoot. If need be I'll get an attorney, etc. That's better than dying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting