Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 09:36 AM

8,631 posts, read 9,141,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Nonsense View Post
Most any addict will make excuses to defend and justify their addictive habit. There is nothing wrong with the plant itself but the problem lies with the typical potheads attitude, lifestyle and choices. Anyone who says it it harmless is either ignorant, a liar or both. Any plant or herb can be toxic and have adverse affects if abused.
America is a country of overindulgence. Interesting experiment CO has going there.

It's just disgusting how people can say it is totally harmless.
The bigger experiment already happened. That was the life of a pot smoker before it was illegal. Those years amount to thousands compared to the 70 or so years the prohibition has been in place. Pot is not toxic, however abuse, over indulgence is but still not even close to the ravages alcohol can do to the body in a very short amount of years. I know plenty of folks who smoke and you'd never know it. They do not fit your typical smoker. Most are older, professional. Some smoke it to reduce their physical pains.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:36 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,533,060 times
lol well 45 is already the minimum speed limit; maybe they'll slow down the speeders and the roads will become safer than they are today. I live between Atlanta and Charlotte off I-85. I know many that would love to see traffic slow down between the 2 cities.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:38 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailSymbolizes View Post
Not the government's job to save people from themselves.
The government's job is defense, bridges, roads, schools ... the projects that require all of us pitching in for our mutual benefit.

It has no business in my bedroom or my living room either.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:39 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,940,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Are people who believe something you don't believe, or do something you don't do, automatically slapped with the label "liberal"?

I'm a liberal progressive Democrat and I know a lot of other liberals. We aren't all pro-pot and most of us don't use marijuana. Smoking pot is mostly an age thing. Most people don't indulge at all or as often after they have responsibilities that require focus. About the same time we stop going to keggers. Other people just prefer it to alcohol for recreation. Or are you against that, too? But that's neither here nor there. Many of the people who advocate most stridently for decriminalization are LIBERTARIANS, not liberals. Do you understand the difference?

Your post makes broad sweeping statements with nothing to back up your screed except your opinion. Where is your proof that smoking marijuana is harmful? There is plenty of credible medical evidence that it's less harmful than drinking alcohol. And what is a "typical pothead"? My elderly mother suffers from crippling arthritis from head to toe and is in excruciating pain every day. If marijuana would help her manage her pain, I'd be completely in favor of her using it. I also know cancer patients who use it to deal with chemotherapy's nausea. Are they "over-indulgent liberals"?
~Colorado weighing in~

Jukesgrrl makes some good points. When you politize a health issue right off the bat, you wreck the chance to have a reasonable discussion. Colorado is NOT a hotbed of liberal politics. Most of the state is conservative and/or libertarian. The libertarian vote probably helped passed the referendum for legalization as much as anything. Even at that, many here have their doubts about legalization (passed by only a 55% to 45% vote), and the debate goes on. Ever pragmatists, conservative/libertarian Colorado farmers and ranchers are poised to take advantage of the new law by putting in crops of industrial marijuana among other possibilities. Check out the Colorado forum for some great threads on this topic.

I'm a liberal and from my own observations I can tell you that marijuana is no more benign than alcohol is. Both are addictive substances and can cause great harm. Yes, pot IS addictive, folks. I had a friend who smoked himself into oblivion, quit his job rather than get fired and had to get the hell out of Dodge because his pot bill had become astronomical and he'd never be able to pay it down. He's not the only person I've seen get into trouble under the legalization of MEDICAL marijuana. Lord only knows what will happen now that recreational marijuana is legal here. We have many posts on the Colorado forum from members of the baby boomer crowd who can't wait to come retire to Colorado and smoke themselves sensless. Frankly, I'd rather people moved to Colorado just because they want to hit the ski slopes more often. At least this is a more responsible group of future state residents. If you want to smoke pot so badly that you're willing to pull up your roots, leave friends, family and employers behind then you've got a problem already (IMHO).

I do agree that medical marijuana can have many excellent applications, but people need to respect the fact that marijuana is a DRUG. Over indulge and you'll pay the price.

BTW, I do agree with those who question the effectiveness of the so-called "war on drugs." I question it as well. However, the myth that pot is harmless has certainly muddied the waters when it comes to this discussion.

Last edited by Colorado Rambler; 01-11-2014 at 09:55 AM..

Old 01-11-2014, 09:47 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,198,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It isn't harmless and anyone who has some need to mess up their minds with mind-altering drugs needs to wonder what is going on in their lives that they feel that need.
This would certainly include booze. But we finally gave up on prohibition, and just live with booze addiction and its costs.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:55 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
This would certainly include booze. But we finally gave up on prohibition, and just live with booze addiction and its costs.
Because the cost of Prohibition and the organized crime that went along with it was more than we were willing to pay.

You think there might be some similarities here?

Old 01-11-2014, 10:07 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,712,979 times
Quote:
Most any addict will make excuses to defend and justify their addictive habit. There is nothing wrong with the plant itself but the problem lies with the typical potheads attitude, lifestyle and choices. Anyone who says it it harmless is either ignorant, a liar or both. Any plant or herb can be toxic and have adverse affects if abused.
America is a country of overindulgence. Interesting experiment CO has going there.

It's just disgusting how people can say it is totally harmless.
Please post your education credentials since you are posing as an expert on the subject matter. I'm sure you got your GED by the time you were 30.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:20 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,012,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It isn't harmless and anyone who has some need to mess up their minds with mind-altering drugs needs to wonder what is going on in their lives that they feel that need.
So you think the same exact thing about people who have a few beers right? Or even a cup of coffee! Right? \

No one is saying it is totally harmless but it is no worse if not healthier than alcohol. Cars killing tens of thousands every single year and pour out toxic gas. Are we going to ban cars too? Cell phones, tv, computers have radiation should we ban those things too?

I have never tried marijuana and don't plan on it. But if a 21 year old adult wants to smoke some weed in the privacy of his own home I have zero problems with it as long as he does not get behind the steering wheel of a car. It is insane that marijuana is still illegal. Alcohol is far more deadly and addicting. Make it legal, regulate it like alcohol and tax it like crazy.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:30 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,803,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Despite the billions spent and all the lives ruined, was there anyone last weekend who did not snort, sip, swallow, shoot, or smoke the mind-altering chemical of choice?

Anyone?
ME!!! Can't speak for the weekend before that though.

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with the plant itself but the problem lies with the typical potheads attitude, lifestyle and choices. Anyone who says it it harmless is either ignorant, a liar or both. Any plant or herb can be toxic and have adverse affects if abused.
Just what is a "typical pothead" anyway? Anyone's lifestyle that you don't agree with? I think we can agree that there were typical potheads long before CO decided to make it legal. Do you really think it's going to make that much difference in most peoples' lives? I mean except for those who've gone to prison for being caught with some? Some people do get addicted to it--there's no doubt about that, but it remains to be seen whether the addiction is as strong or frequent as in those who are addicted to alcohol or prescription drugs. I haven't smoked it in years, but I am highly in favor of legalizing it everywhere, for medical purposes esp but also for recreational use. Also, if any herb or plant can be toxic, then why are you specifically picking on marijuana?

You can't outlaw someone's lifestyle just b/c you don't approve. I'll leave it to the good Lord to judge people--ever since I took that attitude I've been ever so much happier.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:35 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,929,816 times
Getting back to the topic: I am not sure about the effects of today's pot, with THC levels being so high (no pun intended) . . . the issues I am concerned about are the messages sent to kids about "getting wasted," and "getting drunk." I think our society is in dire straights around the need to self-medicate. I thank God I do not have school-age kids.

The other issue with pot is pesticide residue that is absolutely toxic to the body, and the effects of smoking toxic chemicals on the lungs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness