Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 10:20 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,715,012 times

Advertisements

The war on drugs was lost for over a century and still we have people stuck in the 19th century with the prohibition mentality.

People can do whatever they want and they will and nothing will stop or change that.

The only thing that haven't changed is consequences.

Is it a good idea to be taking a puff before driving or going to work?

We haven't prevented DUI but I was told by a trucker that taking a puff made him more alert than drinking coffee.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:04 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,907,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
My point is, you are drawing a cause and effect conclusion, with no evidence, and I was curious if you truly believed that without pot those kids' lives would have been drug-free.
I appreciate the response. I did not make a clear cause-effect conclusion. The causes of addiction in the individual case are not usually black and white.
I think many of the folks I worked with would have found their way to addiction anyways, even if there was no such thing as marijuana. But for a substantial portion of them, pot was a relatively harmless doorway and they would not have entered via any other door. They started out wanting to just mess around a little, not become hardcore drug users. Pot led to the second phase.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:34 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
But for a substantial portion of them, pot was a relatively harmless doorway and they would not have entered via any other door. They started out wanting to just mess around a little, not become hardcore drug users. Pot led to the second phase.
The doorway/gateway theory of marijuana leading to meth, heroin, cocaine, crack... etc. is a myth. In fact, most drug users begin with alcohol and nicotine before marijuana. Countless studies have failed to support the gateway idea.

Read more: Marijuana as a Gateway Drug: The Myth That Will Not Die | TIME.com Marijuana as a Gateway Drug: The Myth That Will Not Die | TIME.com

If you don't have time to read this article, this pretty much sums it up:

"Correlation isn’t cause. Hell’s Angels motorcycle gang members are probably 104 times more likely to have ridden a bicycle as a kid than those who don’t become Hell’s Angels, but that doesn’t mean that riding a two-wheeler is a “gateway” to joining a motorcycle gang. It simply means that most people ride bikes and the kind of people who don’t are highly unlikely to ever ride a motorcycle."

Old 01-13-2014, 02:36 PM

25,581 posts, read 17,298,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes, that's why it's illegal in the bluest states like the northeast, but legal in a state that is mixed Red and Blue with a hefty dose of libertarians, cause it's only liberals who want this. Sounds like your mind is snapped shut and padlocked though.
Are you speaking of Colorado, a state with a Democratic Governor, 2 Democratic Senators, and 3 (all in the Denver metroplex) Democratic Representatives? I'm afraid you will have to point out the hefty dose of Libertarians; they don't see to be listed.
If my mind is snapped shut it is because it is informed.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:06 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,142,671 times
Do you use alcohol?

Where did you get your stereotypical description of the average pot smoking person?

The thing is the marijuana plant is not toxic and over 100's of years has never shown any adverse affects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Nonsense View Post
Most any addict will make excuses to defend and justify their addictive habit. There is nothing wrong with the plant itself but the problem lies with the typical potheads attitude, lifestyle and choices. Anyone who says it it harmless is either ignorant, a liar or both. Any plant or herb can be toxic and have adverse affects if abused.
America is a country of overindulgence. Interesting experiment CO has going there.

It's just disgusting how people can say it is totally harmless.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:12 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,242,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
~Colorado weighing in~

I'm a liberal and from my own observations I can tell you that marijuana is no more benign than alcohol is. Both are addictive substances and can cause great harm.
That is such a ridiculous thing to say. You're equating pot with alcohol in terms of harm? Not even close.
CDC - Fact Sheets-Alcohol Use And Health - Alcohol
"There are approximately 88,000 deaths attributable to excessive alcohol use each year in the United States."

Annual Causes of Death in the United States | Drug War Facts
Death from:
Pharmaceutical Opioid Analgesics 16,651
Pharmaceutical Drugs - 22,134
Cannabis (Marijuana) - 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
I had a friend who smoked himself into oblivion, quit his job rather than get fired and had to get the hell out of Dodge because his pot bill had become astronomical and he'd never be able to pay it down. He's not the only person I've seen get into trouble under the legalization of MEDICAL marijuana.
That has more to do with addictive personality disorder. There are plenty of highly successful "potheads" The 10 Most Successful Potheads on the Planet… Cool Enough to Admit It

And there are plenty of gamblers that throw away their life savings and wind up in the street. That doesn't shut down Las Vegas. As a society we've shown we're willing to accept a certain level of harm in the name of personal freedom. Cannabis by even the most demented right wing demonization falls way, way below the standard set by tobacco and alcohol. So why the double standard?

Old 01-13-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
The fool's argument: Alcohol is worse. It's an attempt to deflect from the issue.

Check out this web site, which reflects data from - yes - the University of Washington:
Learn About Marijuana: Factsheets: Respiratory Effects of Marijuana

Marijuana contains 50% more Benzopyrene and 75% more Benzathracene (both of them are carcinogenic) than tobacco smoke, which has clearly been shown to be poisonous.
It also has CBD and THC both of which have been shown to be anti-carcinogenic.

Marijuana Not Linked To Lung Cancer When Use Is Light Or Moderate, Unknown With Heavy Use

You can find studies on both sides. Air pollution causes cancer. Chronic inhalation of any smoke is carcinogenic. What about pot brownies? Are you opposed to that too? If MMJ was legal in my state I would be eating MMJ in food instead of possibly risking my health smoking a joint.

As a society we say 440k deaths from tobacco is acceptable. The cancer toll from pot smoking is likely to be way less than that because most pot smokers are not huffing & puffing away all day like cig smokers. 1/2 joint does me for a whole evening. Let's stop looking for pretexts to keep the gov't nose in people's private lives and personal decisions.

CDC - Fact Sheet - Fast Facts - Smoking & Tobacco Use
Cigarette smoking is responsible for about one in five deaths annually (i.e., more than 440,000 deaths per year, and an estimated 49,000 of these smoking-related deaths are the result of secondhand smoke exposure).1,2
On average, smokers die 10 years earlier than nonsmokers.5

Old 01-13-2014, 05:54 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,885,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
*waving hand* Yes--me!

Not all of us do drugs or drink...
I hope you didn't consume any sugar, because a growing body of research says it is highly addictive and thus a drug.

Sugar addiction: pushing the ... [Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2013] - PubMed - NCBI

Old 01-13-2014, 06:23 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,805,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Agreed. I've read interesting things regarding people treating (and curing!) cancer with hemp oil. I would definitely try it if I had a cancer diagnosis.
Well I do have a cancer dx and would like to try it but I have absolutely no idea how to find it, esp as I live in MO. IL legalized it quite recently and I live not too far from there, but it's not like you can go in a store and buy it and you have to use a doc that you've have for quite a while, but my old doc is dying of. . . cancer. She is my age--early 50's. My new GP is insufferable so I don't even know how I'd get a scrip. You see, the stuff still being illegal is highly inconvenient for those who want to live, or to avoid chemo.

I don't think this is just me wanting to get high as I stopped smoking it years ago after realizing that it made my attention problems worse--while high that is. Many patients take it just before bed so they can sleep thru the high--that's what I would do.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Well I do have a cancer dx and would like to try it but I have absolutely no idea how to find it, esp as I live in MO. IL legalized it quite recently and I live not too far from there, but it's not like you can go in a store and buy it and you have to use a doc that you've have for quite a while, but my old doc is dying of. . . cancer. She is my age--early 50's. My new GP is insufferable so I don't even know how I'd get a scrip. You see, the stuff still being illegal is highly inconvenient for those who want to live, or to avoid chemo.

I don't think this is just me wanting to get high as I stopped smoking it years ago after realizing that it made my attention problems worse--while high that is. Many patients take it just before bed so they can sleep thru the high--that's what I would do.
Phoenix Tears
You can get CBD oil on ebay: Rsho Real Scientific Hemp Oil One 10 Gram Tube 19 5 CBD | eBay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness