Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 02:23 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,722,344 times

Advertisements

"Pot" has a 0% fatality rate & can treat 124 medical conditions, often better than pills rxmarijuana dot com. Alcohol, tobacco & pills kill & no one of them can treat 124 conditions. Increased use of pot would likely improve our quality & quantity of life. Best wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy_rox2 View Post
The war on drugs hasn't and doesn't work.

Pot is no worse than alcohol.

Tax that sh_t and put the money into low income rural and urban neighborhoods and schools to revitalize them.

You cannot stop people from doing it.

There will be people that become addicted that otherwise may not have if it were still illegal (in the specific states that its legal now), and that is sad, but perhaps a campaign on responsible use of the drug is in order for social occasions and relaxation (like alcohol), etc. that it will reduce the risk of addiction.

I understand the concern, but I'm not sure what else to do here.... You've got people obtaining a criminal record for a substance no worse than tobacco in some cases and a stiff drink. If it were cocaine, crack or heroine that would be different (my opinion, anyway).

What else is there to be done? I open to suggestions...

Old 01-13-2014, 02:57 AM

Quite often, "pot" is used along with alcohol. What usually happens is a person wants the same feeling from the combo that they get from alcohol alone, so they probably only need to drink half as much to get the same effect. Some who start smoking pot even quit alcohol. Most quit tobacco, too. But alcohol is the most intoxicating of commonly used drugs, if that is what one wants. Haven't heard any provable claims of becoming unconscious on pot alone.

Whether it is called medical or recreational, most want it to feel better. There are varying degrees of relaxation, sort of wasted or really wasted, but many want a reduced awareness of physical or emotional pain. Degree of pain may determine degree of use. Of course, it can start out as some being needed & more being wanted, sort of going from medical to recreational?

Kids are experts at having fun, though teen suicide rates are right up there with the elderly. I do not want to say what amount of use is best, would rather people decide for themselves, even kids if only law & parents would allow. Certainly a must for many medical conditions. One out of 6, 50 million Americans say they use it. In UNICEF poll of 11, 13, & 15 year olds, 22% of American kids say that they use it. In Canada 28% of kids those ages say they use it.

Use of alcohol is down & delayed for kids, & tobacco use by underage kids is very low.

Some in severe pain need to be "wasted" for medical reasons.

If cannabis does not cause death, illness, or injury, I can't find reason for worry. Best wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
For me, it's the whole "getting wasted" issue . . . I don't know if you can take one or two hits and just "be mellow" or if today's pot is so powerful that it knocks you out . . . that, for me, is the real issue.

I am the type of person that believes having a nice glass of wine with dinner is one of life's pleasures. If a natural plant (with no pesticides) gives someone a little medical relief, that's ok, but where is the line drawn between medical relief and "getting wasted?"

Recreational use spells "getting wasted" and that is the message that concerns me as far as kids are concerned.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:34 AM

50,815 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I was a counselor in a long-term drug rehab for teens and young adults...........hardcore cases. Almost all of them entered the world of drugs through pot. Now their lives were in the sewer.
Just saying.
So you also believe if pot hadn't been available, they would have been straight-A students who never used drugs? They wouldn't have started with alcohol (or cigarettes, like I did)? You feel it has nothing to so with the state of their lives at the time, it was simply the availability of pot that led them astray? Before the pot, they were happy and well-adjusted kids?

Most kids I knew back in my delinquent days started with beer.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:17 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,907,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
So you also believe if pot hadn't been available, they would have been straight-A students who never used drugs? They wouldn't have started with alcohol (or cigarettes, like I did)? You feel it has nothing to so with the state of their lives at the time, it was simply the availability of pot that led them astray? Before the pot, they were happy and well-adjusted kids?

Most kids I knew back in my delinquent days started with beer.
Please don't ask facile, unhelpful questions of me, at least on this topic.
Just make your points.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:17 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,533,060 times
Quote:
I was a counselor in a long-term drug rehab for teens and young adults...........hardcore cases. Almost all of them entered the world of drugs through pot. Now their lives were in the sewer.
Just saying.
Kids will experiment with anything once. That's how I started smoking cigarettes at 13 in the 70's. I'd watched all my relatives smoke all my life to that point so I figured it must be an enjoyable thing to do since so many of them were or are smokers. BTW my parents never smoked! No way did I tell my parents when I bought my first pack of Salem's which got flushed down the toilet nearly untouched. Thing is as soon as you argue with a kid about how bad it is for them they want to prove the adults wrong! Kids can be defiant just to prove they know it all and because they want to catch the parents in a lie. The more defiant ones will move on to other substances like alcohol or pot, or worse yet, cocaine, heroin, etc.

Have you ever noticed that people don't listen when they are being yelled at? How many parents are yelling at they're kids and think that's going to get them to stop and think about what they are doing? It won't. If you can't talk to your kids about the dangers without yelling at them you will not be able to make your point.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:20 AM

0 deaths, it doesn't make people sick (except for the occasional bystander who said the smell made them vomit), it is unlikely to result in injury, it has 124 medical uses, it can even save lives. "Pot" will make people non-violent if anything will. I do understand that physical withdrawal is mild, while some will be miserable forever if someone succeeds in taking it away forever. If it didn't fill some need, like treating 1 or more of the 124 medical conditions at rxmarijuana dot com/ why would anyone use it? I believe that nearly all individuals know better than others what they need/want & why.

Most claims about the harms are from people who make some or all of their living from prohibition. Millions of harmless people have gone to jail or prison because they needed it to feel good. Or they get forced "treatment" with poisons. Someone has to get the truth out. It's more important IMO to tell the good when the bad has been told millions of times, greatly exaggerated in most instances. False & misleading statements, sci-fi, anything to push people who need *something* to relax with the more harmful legal drugs, or be severely punished as a harmless person.

Are you more concerned about "marijuana addiction" than addiction to other things, & if so, why? I think non-lethal "addictions" are not equally dangerous. Tobacco kills millions, so does food, and addiction is often involved, too. Some in our govt/corp alliance have allowed 85,000 toxins in our air, soil, food & water, yet you think of cannabis as worse???

Agree overuse of alcohol can do great harm: car crashes & other accidents causing pain, disability &, sometimes, death. If a person drinks too much quickly, acute alcohol overdose can be fatal. Alcohol can kill by destroying the liver & can cause some types of cancer, I'm told. 1/3 of alcoholics admit to sometimes being violent. Alcohol makes people more open to often bad suggestions. That's better?

I've heard of people dying in skiing accidents, & it must be "addicting" for people to pay so much to risk injury or death, just to get a good feeling?

If people want to smoke pot so badly that they're willing to pull up their roots, leave friends, family, and employers behind behind then there must be a real need. Many can't stand the idea of unbearable pain for life, so it's move or commit suicide. Politicians & law enforcement people should stay out of medical debates when they seem unwilling to learn anything about the subject.

I think you must know that some potheads work, too. Some are even rich.

Over indulge & you'll pay *what* price? $300/oz looks the worst part to me. Some day you may have a medical condition Docs & Big Pharma can't help. What would you do? Best wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
~Colorado weighing in~

Marijuana is no more benign than alcohol is. Both are addictive substances and can cause great harm. I had a friend who smoked himself into oblivion, quit his job rather than get fired and had to get the hell out of Dodge because his pot bill had become astronomical and he'd never be able to pay it down. He's not the only person I've seen get into trouble under the legalization of MEDICAL marijuana. We have many posts on the Colorado forum from members of the baby boomer crowd who can't wait to come retire to Colorado and smoke themselves sensless. Frankly, I'd rather people moved to Colorado just because they want to hit the ski slopes more often. At least this is a more responsible group of future state residents. If you want to smoke pot so badly that you're willing to pull up your roots, leave friends, family and employers behind then you've got a problem already (IMHO).

I do agree that medical marijuana can have many excellent applications, but people need to respect the fact that marijuana is a DRUG. Over indulge and you'll pay the price. However, the myth that pot is harmless has certainly muddied the waters when it comes to this discussion.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:37 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,907,803 times
I will agree with many of the points being made.
But there are still the voices of the 18-year old junkies that I worked with, looking back and saying that they wish they had never tried pot. Make of their message what you will, but many of them say it. They can't be wished away.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:38 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Quote:
Please don't ask facile, unhelpful questions of me...
If you don't care for facile, unhelpful questions, best not to make facile, unhelpful comments.

Just saying.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:38 AM

757 posts, read 1,094,675 times
All drugs have their good and bad sides. Look at many legal drugs on the make or shall I say "medicine". They can be abused, have horrible side effects and most have no idea what they will do in the long term. Marijuana is no different. It has it's good and it's bad.

People always want to blame something else for their poor choices or actions. "It must be the marijuana's fault for X". I have know many C-level executives who have smoked a lot pot and have done quite well with their lives and family. I have also seen some who have smoked a lot of pot act like fools and do nothing with their lives. Same goes with drinkers.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:43 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,533,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJJG2012 View Post
Over indulge & you'll pay *what* price? $300/oz looks the worst part to me. Some day you may have a medical condition Docs & Big Pharma can't help. What would you do? Best wishes.
$300/oz!? I have heard it is more than that in my state. Seems like a ripoff to me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness