Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2020, 10:21 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,386,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTwinkie View Post
Sneezes travel 100 mph. Coughs travel 50 mph.

I hope you can run fast. Oh, and don't forget to hold your breathe.
Ya know, at work if I'm following someone in a hallway who coughs or sneezes I hold my breath while I speed up and pass them. Good thing I swam underwater a lot as a kid - I can go a looooong time without coming up for air!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2020, 10:37 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
I'm in self-imposed quarantine since I have lung damage from chemo. I'm in my early 30s and am pretty healthy even with the issue (which has gotten much better 9 years out of treatment), but better safe than sorry. My whole office is working from home, though we're working through the night and weekends as parts of the crisis comms team for a university that is trying to get as many of our students home as we can.

I'm in one of the epicenters here in Boston. I have enough pantry items to last me a month or two, but I am going to try to get to a grocery store for some perishables and also to restock cat food. Turns out, my cat wants all the food all the time when I'm home! Unfortunately for me, the 24/7 grocery store near me is now closed overnight for restocking which is completely understandable for their overworked staff right now, but worries me about being able to go at off-peak times. I have gloves, antibac wipes, and hand sanitizer to go into stores, and will Lysol spray my shoes and bags before I come into my apartment. Too much? Maybe, but I don't want to risk it. I'm also the only person who's able to completely isolate in order to care for my 89 year old grandmother, so I have to be healthy for her.

We'll see how this progresses and if I feel comfortable getting no-contact takeout. We just have to flatten that curve!

Old 03-15-2020, 10:48 AM

5,181 posts, read 3,097,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Ya know, at work if I'm following someone in a hallway who coughs or sneezes I hold my breath while I speed up and pass them. Good thing I swam underwater a lot as a kid - I can go a looooong time without coming up for air!
Wearing a necklace of garlic cloves is just as effective.

Old 03-15-2020, 11:08 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,351,772 times
"Beware the ides of March" seems so appropriate today.

Yes, the virus has changed my behaviors. I know it's only temporary. It's so annoying to read others' comments that they're not doing anything differently. It's just socially irresponsible to do nothing. Sort of like: "Damned if I'll change my life!!" Like it's a life-long thing they'll have to do....for *gasp* others safety as well as their own.

Basically, giving the world the finger.

Anyway, I saw the snowball growing as I listened to the scientists and not the government, and so I stocked up well before the government finally took action.

It's the first time in my life (5+ decades) that I did anything like this. As the new (annoying) phrase goes: "An abundance of caution".

Always better to be safe than sorry. I hope everyone can get what they need soon if they don't already have it.

Old 03-15-2020, 11:35 AM

23,319 posts, read 18,877,894 times
I volunteer at the local library. They decided to close this week despite having no confirmed Covid-19 cases anywhere nearby. At least as far as the local general public knows, but its probably true. Guess that's one day out of the week that will change. Fine. Let books or computer keyboards that happened to come in contact with questionable hands sit untouched for a few days. Yeah, I get it...that's about proactive prevention, not response.

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-15-2020 at 11:49 AM..

Old 03-15-2020, 11:39 AM

14,956 posts, read 12,162,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Our daily activities changed yesterday, big time.

Now that the epidemiologists have laid out exactly what's going on and why flattening the curve is so important, we are staying inside

Exceptions are grocery shopping and visiting my 90 plus mother-in-law

This is ramping up rapidly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Thanks for the input. Well, as you know, now - those very stores have reduced their hours!!
The Publix in this neck of the woods have reduced their hours (from 10PM to 8PM closure), so they can restock and clean their facilities. I'd think this should make supplies more readily available and the stores cleaner at the hours they ARE open.

Old 03-15-2020, 11:54 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,397,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
"Beware the ides of March" seems so appropriate today.
I didn't even notice the date! I took Latin for 2 years ---and was an Eng Lit minor ---
of course, the Ides of March!!! Too soon to rep again.

Old 03-15-2020, 11:55 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,640,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
And as you speed up to pass them, you go right through the cloud of infected vapor droplets that get on your face, lips, hair, your eyeballs, your nostrils - it's everywhere. What a mess! And to make matters worse, as you speed by the sneezer, the 'cloud' whirls in eddies, like smoke, and you drag part of it along with you. Just like swimming underwater, as soon as you come up for air your entire face is still going to be wet no matter how long you can hold your breath. And as soon as you've passed by the sneezer, the vapor-filled eddies keep settling down on your skin. Quickly wipe your face with a tissue. Sure, that'll soak up some of it from your skin, but the rest gets smeared around waiting for the opportunity to be breathed in, or just sink into the pores of your skin. You'll wonder, "Why didn't I just turn around and go back the other way?"

Old 03-15-2020, 11:57 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,397,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
The Publix in this neck of the woods have reduced their hours (from 10PM to 8PM closure), so they can restock and clean their facilities. I'd think this should make supplies more readily available and the stores cleaner at the hours they ARE open.
I was shocked drove past a smaller strip mall with an ACE, Safeway, Pet Store, Medicine Shoppe, Salon ---all Dark at 11 am!
Why?

Old 03-15-2020, 01:37 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,742,113 times
My kids are home from school for a month e-learning.
All of their cheerleading activities are suspended.
Daughter had a birthday party cancel for her friend.
We canceled my daughters birthday party as well.
My husband will be working from home for at least 3 weeks.
Not all the basics at our local stores, so had to go to several.
Canceled a trip and a lot of plans.
Eating all meals at home, no take out or restaurants
Reminding people to not take this lightly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness