Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2020, 02:34 PM

5,713 posts, read 4,289,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7 View Post
All I am saying is that it was circulating in China in December. Out of those infected, I am sure SOME traveled. Remember, many show NO symptoms plus not ALL people pass it on.

Being sure doesn't mean you are correct. I've never been to Wuhan Seafood Market. Is it a popular place for people to travel to/from the US?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2020, 05:46 PM

2,029 posts, read 1,365,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Seriously??

IF the virus was widely circulating since December why are we only NOW seeing the hospitalizations and deaths???

We know how fast this virus replicates and how easily it is transmitted....it is following a course one would expect based on when it was first identified which was NOT December
There are some scientists who think this may have been around a bit earlier than we think.

"Adriano Decarli, an epidemiologist and medical statistics professor at the University of Milan, said there had been a "significant" increase in the number of people hospitalised for pneumonia and flu in the areas of Milan and Lodi between October and December last year.

He told Reuters he could not give exact figures but "hundreds" more people than usual had been taken to hospital in the last three months of 2019 in those areas - two of Lombardy's worst hit cities - with pneumonia and flu-like symptoms, and some of those had died.

Decarli is reviewing the hospital records and other clinical details of those cases, including people who later died at home, to try to understand whether the new coronavirus epidemic had already spread to Italy back then."

Old 03-30-2020, 06:04 PM

7,240 posts, read 4,548,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
If you had it before mid Feb or so, it wasn't COVID.
That is just ridiculous. Even now the deaths are a tiny fraction of the number of infections. In my state there are total of 44 deaths from this with 200 hospitalized for the state. I have no doubt that in the earliest days of this it could have either gone unnoticed or, the hospitals noticed but didn't know what it was.

It is far from an epidemic everyplace but New York and New Jersey.

In addition there are many people dying now that the death is not thought to be COVID but because of the news, their family has them tested and they find out there were infected. Some people have just died in their sleep.

The reason why your seeing these things now is because NBC has their camera's parked outside the hospital which they couldn't have cared less in December.

Old 03-30-2020, 07:01 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7 View Post
There are some scientists who think this may have been around a bit earlier than we think.

"Adriano Decarli, an epidemiologist and medical statistics professor at the University of Milan, said there had been a "significant" increase in the number of people hospitalised for pneumonia and flu in the areas of Milan and Lodi between October and December last year.

He told Reuters he could not give exact figures but "hundreds" more people than usual had been taken to hospital in the last three months of 2019 in those areas - two of Lombardy's worst hit cities - with pneumonia and flu-like symptoms, and some of those had died.

Decarli is reviewing the hospital records and other clinical details of those cases, including people who later died at home, to try to understand whether the new coronavirus epidemic had already spread to Italy back then."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
That is just ridiculous. Even now the deaths are a tiny fraction of the number of infections. In my state there are total of 44 deaths from this with 200 hospitalized for the state. I have no doubt that in the earliest days of this it could have either gone unnoticed or, the hospitals noticed but didn't know what it was.

It is far from an epidemic everyplace but New York and New Jersey.

In addition there are many people dying now that the death is not thought to be COVID but because of the news, their family has them tested and they find out there were infected. Some people have just died in their sleep.

The reason why your seeing these things now is because NBC has their camera's parked outside the hospital which they couldn't have cared less in December.
The molecular genetics of the virus are consistent with it appearing in China in November or December of 2019. It is unlikely that travelers from Wuhan would have dispersed it widely worldwide within a few weeks of that.

Testing some of those who think they had it in November or December for antibodies will eventually tell us whether the virus was there or not.

Old 03-30-2020, 07:14 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,672,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
there are many people dying now that the death is not thought to be COVID but because of the news, their family has them tested and they find out there were infected. Some people have just died in their sleep.
So stress? Or psychosomatic?

Old 03-30-2020, 09:37 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,279,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
I had a bad bug at the end of January. I even passed out I was so sick. I didn't think it could be Covid because I didn't have respiratory problems. But now I heard not everyone has that. I could have had it and not known it. I had traveled to Boston where there was an early outbreak.

I believe I had covid in October 2019. Had all the symptoms. I knew it wasn't the flu. Fully recovered now but, what a nightmare it was.

Old 03-30-2020, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
I believe I had covid in October 2019. Had all the symptoms. I knew it wasn't the flu. Fully recovered now but, what a nightmare it was.
The virus did not emerge (in China) until November or December.

Old 03-30-2020, 09:47 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,279,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The virus did not emerge (in China) until November or December.

But with the chinese government, nobody ever really knows...

Old 03-30-2020, 10:56 PM

5,713 posts, read 4,289,046 times
Quote:

I had it in September.

Old 03-30-2020, 11:21 PM

Quote:
But with the chinese government, nobody ever really knows...
It has nothing to do with the Chinese government. The molecular genetics show that the virus is not man-made and that it first appeared in China close to the time that the first cases were identified there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness