Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2023, 01:49 PM

3,183 posts, read 1,654,323 times

Advertisements

Bread = processed foods. The less you eat the better regardless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2023, 02:01 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Last year my A1C climbed too high, my PCP warned me that if it held at that level I would need to start on diabetes drugs.

So I stopped eating wheat, potatoes and rice.

Cold turkey, I just stopped.

My A1C went back down, my PCP was shocked.

Old 04-28-2023, 02:11 PM

3,499 posts, read 1,744,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
It's hard to find a substitute for bread (wheat ) since it's so versatile and ,importantly, filling.
I was wondering if old fashioned corn pone might work in some instances?
Last month I bought Joseph's Mini Pitas made from flax, oat bran, and whole wheat, they are only 5 net carbs, and more tasty than white bread. I just had one for lunch filled with pulled pork. I lost three pounds already eating these pitas instead of bread.

Old 04-28-2023, 04:16 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,059,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
Last month I bought Joseph's Mini Pitas made from flax, oat bran, and whole wheat, they are only 5 net carbs, and more tasty than white bread. I just had one for lunch filled with pulled pork. I lost three pounds already eating these pitas instead of bread.
I have eaten those almost every time I've made Middle Eastern food lately (like chicken with smoky harissa sauce). I heat them up, then eat them as if they were naan with curry, tearing off little pieces to have with each bite of the chicken/veggies. They are very good that way!

I also just tried Mission's low-carb flour tortillas for the first time last Saturday night (I made steak tacos). I was astonished at how good they are -- I seriously cannot tell the difference between those and their regular flour tortillas (which are a lot higher in calories and much higher in carbs, although I don't worry too much about carbs). I just got some of their small net-zero tortillas from Walmart -- haven't tried those yet but I suspect a Tuesday Taco night is in my near future!

OP, what IS corn pone? I've never even heard of it!

Old 04-28-2023, 06:07 PM

3,183 posts, read 1,654,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
Ancient humans ate grains that are not heavily processed, just rock milled oat whole grains. The total net carb is a lot less plus you gain a lot more fiber.

Today the grains are so processed that the fiber is removed and the food maker add a few of the shelled fibers back in and call it "whole grains." What a joke.

That's why we should eat real whole grains like quinoa, flaxseed, lentils, and stop eating milled oats.

Old 04-28-2023, 08:09 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,245,163 times
Being a diabetic for me — grains need to be minimized. My husband used to eat toast in the morning, a sandwich in the afternoon and wanted something starchy at night. I can’t do that anymore. I do eat oatmeal in the morning, lunch is a salad, dinner is a salad, a veggie a protein — and maybe a slice of bread — if I’m not feeling sated. More often than not — no bread.

For me — substitution isn’t the answer. Walking away from it entirely was the answer. I also cannot eat rice, but a proper amount of potatoes is fine. Everybody’s different. Rice and beans send my blood sugar into the stratosphere and keep it there.

Soooooo — using corn bread as a substitute for wheat bread, when corn bread actually has wheat in it — it’s made with cornmeal and flour, it’s like being told you can’t drink alcohol and switching from bourbon to tequila. It’s the same difference.

Old 04-28-2023, 08:31 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I tried a good keto pancake recipe recently. https://www.wholesomeyum.com/wprm_print/recipe/23222

mostly almond flour and eggs. No wheat, no carbs.
There definitely are carbs in almond flour, but since half the carb count is fiber, that minimizes the net carb count.

Old 04-28-2023, 10:06 PM

22,149 posts, read 19,203,648 times
i've gone for periods of several years without bread and don't miss it at all.
rice is my staple. my body really does best with rice.

pasta feels too heavy, rice just feels really suitable and delicious for my system.
i just discovered (actually after reading about it on a thread here on CD) that there is now pasta made from chick peas and it feels like eating pasta but is very high in protein, something like 11 g of protein in a 1 cup cooked serving. So i will have that and it is very filling. i won't every day but 2-3 times a week is good.

i don't miss bread. i will have rice with different toppings so there is much variety.
i've done wraps with flour tortillas here and there, they last longer than bread and stay fresher.

i'm not a big sandwich eater. i'm basically lazy so it's quicker and easier to put a topping on rice than expend the effort to slice a bunch of different stuff for a sandwich. i've just never been that fond of sandwiches, maybe that's why it's easy for me to go without bread.

i worked one year on a contract assignment living in a remote wilderness area in a national park. i took a huge pay cut but i really wanted to live there and i loved it. it was like a year long vacation, like i was being paid to be on vacation for a year. but the housing which we were required to live in took almost all of my pay check so i really had to keep food costs down. That whole year my lunch was a flour tortilla wrap with peanut butter and jam, i would walk to one of the most scenic lookouts on my lunch break and sit on the cliffs and eat my PBJ. It was a great year. My occasional treat and extravagance was spending $1.50 for ice tea at the cafeteria (could not buy just a cup of ice).

Old 04-28-2023, 10:09 PM

22,149 posts, read 19,203,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Being a diabetic for me — grains need to be minimized. My husband used to eat toast in the morning, a sandwich in the afternoon and wanted something starchy at night. I can’t do that anymore. I do eat oatmeal in the morning, lunch is a salad, dinner is a salad, a veggie a protein — and maybe a slice of bread — if I’m not feeling sated. More often than not — no bread.

For me — substitution isn’t the answer. Walking away from it entirely was the answer. I also cannot eat rice, but a proper amount of potatoes is fine. Everybody’s different. Rice and beans send my blood sugar into the stratosphere and keep it there.

Soooooo — using corn bread as a substitute for wheat bread, when corn bread actually has wheat in it — it’s made with cornmeal and flour, it’s like being told you can’t drink alcohol and switching from bourbon to tequila. It’s the same difference.
yes i love potatoes !!!!

sweet potatoes especially.
boiled potatoes like baby reds, cold the next day with a bit of tuna or smoked whitefish on top, YUMMY

Old 04-29-2023, 01:24 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,182,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Corn Pone and Corn Bread are different.
The most basic recipe for pone is

4 cups ground white or yellow cornmeal
1 Tablespoon salt
2-3 cups of very hot water (not boiling)
1/2 cup of bacon grease (or other fat)

Many variations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness