Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2023, 10:37 PM

22,141 posts, read 19,198,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
These threads are just mind boggling.... I stopped eating this..i stopped eating that. I have one word for you all...MODERATION. You dont have to cut out ANYTHING..just don't over indulge.

Stop looking for the quick fix..change your diet to eat less and moderate foods that arent great for you...that's it!
but yeah sometimes you DO need to cut things out entirely.
food intolerance, food allergy, food making you sick.

it is not realistic to say 'just moderate' 'eat less'
that itself is an example of "looking for the quick fix." which post above says don't look for the quick fix.
it is also a bit patronizing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2023, 11:12 PM

3,499 posts, read 1,744,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
True. I never in my life had high cholesterol, until I did, and oddly, it showed up after I was vegetarian for two years. But I did eat cheese, and probably more than I should have.

Then I saw the doc and my blood sugar was high and my cholesterol was high so I asked the doc for a few months to try to get them down with diet and exercise. I started eating sort of Mediterranean, lots of vegetables, lots of fish, limited meat and dairy, very little sugar. I went back to him four months later, 27 pounds lighter, and my a1c was down to normal but my cholesterol had only budged three points, from 244 to 241. I just went back, nearly three years later, and it's still 241. He put me on a statin.
Did you have the test to determine the particle size of your cholesterol? The cholesterol numbers don't tell the whole story. My cholesterol was 280, but I had a high HDL of 80 good cholesterol) and my LDL (bad) was about 130 but it was all large particle which doesn't stick in your arteries. The HDL was all small particle which protects your arteries from the LDL. That's why some people with high cholesterol numbers don't have heart attacks, their particle size is good. I've been this way for years, no statins, no health consequences. With statins you might be at risk for atrial fibrillation or gall bladder disease, I would only take them if medically necessary, they are over prescribed. Many doctors won't even suggest the particle test or act like they never heard about it.

Old 05-03-2023, 11:19 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
We haven't eaten bread in many years. My husband makes his sandwiches in tortillas, I like usually just the meat or I'll do a lettuce wrap. You can put peanut butter on celery. We really don't miss it one bit.
Corn tortillas? I wouldn't think corn is very healthy compared to whole wheat. ???

Old 05-03-2023, 11:29 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
I eat low calorie whole grain wheat bread, usually for sandwiches. It has vitamins and fiber and tastes good. I've not heard that whole grains aren't good for you. It's part of the Mediterranean Diet. Or is it the fact that bread is processed?

Old 05-04-2023, 07:15 AM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Corn tortillas? I wouldn't think corn is very healthy compared to whole wheat. ???
No, he eats flour tortillas now and then. No corn.

Old 05-04-2023, 08:57 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
Did you have the test to determine the particle size of your cholesterol? The cholesterol numbers don't tell the whole story. My cholesterol was 280, but I had a high HDL of 80 good cholesterol) and my LDL (bad) was about 130 but it was all large particle which doesn't stick in your arteries. The HDL was all small particle which protects your arteries from the LDL. That's why some people with high cholesterol numbers don't have heart attacks, their particle size is good. I've been this way for years, no statins, no health consequences. With statins you might be at risk for atrial fibrillation or gall bladder disease, I would only take them if medically necessary, they are over prescribed. Many doctors won't even suggest the particle test or act like they never heard about it.
No, I never heard of it. It was just a general blood test covering the usual stuff. I am a bit sketchy about the statins. My oldest sister merrily takes them, never had a problem. Second oldest sister threw them away after a week because of severe foot cramps. Younger sister found out she was allergic, got hives, etc., so the doc told her to take them only four days a week, and that seemed to resolve her problem. I keep forgetting I even have them. So far it's been maybe every other day.

I am just a person who does not like to take meds, but I do take my levothyroxine to keep the thyroid working.

Old 05-04-2023, 09:40 AM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
I have known a number of people who were told how to eat properly, to stop smoking, and as a general rule we are VERY resistant to change. I’ve lost almost 90 pounds over many years and I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that if I try to pull a 180 and cut out everything that’s really bad for me it will blow up in my face and I will fail spectacularly.

I know this for a fact because I’ve done it a number of times. And when I got diabetes I tried again and it blew up in my face again and I went back to my doctor and he was the best. He told me you didn’t get this way overnight. You didn’t get diabetes overnight. your foot is not gonna fall off tomorrow. Start small make one change. And then a few weeks when you don’t even think about that anymore make another change. He was happy with everything I was doing as long as the scale was headed to the left — I think that’s lower.

When I moved cross country, I had to pick a new doctor, and I did and I got the lecture. And I told him you know I’ve kind of stalled out — losing my husband, sister diagnosed with Alzheimer’s and doing this move — you know my life’s been stressful and hectic. I then told him that I used to weigh over 300 pounds. His eyebrows shot up. I explained how my other doctor told me to handle it and it worked. And he decided he was willing to work with me.

Old 05-04-2023, 09:49 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Have you missed the posts here that mention that some people CAN'T eat wheat????

Old 05-04-2023, 11:21 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
The particle test is called NMR, it's a cheap $100 test and both Medicare and private insurance pay for it. You might not need statins at all.
Same here. Lifelong high cholesterol but such high HDL it balanced out the LDL. The ratios come out in the "ideal" range so I'm not worrying about it. I'm not about to take statins---I'm kind of anti-meds unless you had surgery or something. My "particle size" was good too.

I make my own bread with only 4 ingredients so don't count that as "processed". Make my own corn tortillas too. Haven't cut any food groups out of our diet yet, but we naturally don't eat sweets except a tiny mj brownie for sleep, lol. We did get gelato a couple times in Italy, though

Old 05-04-2023, 11:21 AM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
I’m eating a sandwich with bread as I read this. Is bread really that bad?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness