Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2023, 11:22 AM

9,850 posts, read 7,716,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
The particle test is called NMR, it's a cheap $100 test and both Medicare and private insurance pay for it. You might not need statins at all.
Thanks for posting. I have read about particle size for years. I didn't know there was a test for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2023, 11:25 AM

3,495 posts, read 1,745,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No, I never heard of it. It was just a general blood test covering the usual stuff. I am a bit sketchy about the statins. My oldest sister merrily takes them, never had a problem. Second oldest sister threw them away after a week because of severe foot cramps. Younger sister found out she was allergic, got hives, etc., so the doc told her to take them only four days a week, and that seemed to resolve her problem. I keep forgetting I even have them. So far it's been maybe every other day.

I am just a person who does not like to take meds, but I do take my levothyroxine to keep the thyroid working.
The particle test is called NMR, it's a cheap $100 test, covered by Medicare and private insurance. You might not need statins at all!

Old 05-04-2023, 11:26 AM

9,850 posts, read 7,716,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Patients often lie to themselves, too.

I saw clips from a show filmed in Australia (I think), where people wanting to lose weight would talk to the dietician/host about how little they ate, and how they never ate sugar.

Then the show set up cameras and followed them around, showing them eating lots of candy, or multiple burgers.

And some people are clueless, or think everybody else is...
One woman I knew mentioned she wasn't eating bread or potatoes, and I asked if she was eating low carb. She rather angrily informed me she was doing NO carb. But she was eating veggies, which do have carbs. And she often brought cookies to potlucks; she would never eat any in public, but who makes cookies without eating any? I sure couldn't do that, so I don't make cookies, or keep cookie ingredients on hand.
LOL, I can make cookies and cakes without eating any. I already know if I eat one it will start a cascade of cravings that is hard to break. Not worth it! But the grandkids love my cookies.

Old 05-04-2023, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Thanks for posting. I have read about particle size for years. I didn't know there was a test for it.
YW, the test has been around for years, of course the doctors don't let patients know about it because they push the statins.

Old 05-04-2023, 11:34 AM

Regarding whole grains, a doctor has a U-tube video saying whole grains can cause tears in the intestines causing bacteria to escape, I think they call it leaky gut.
Other foods not to eat included tomatoes, eggplant, peanuts, and cashews.

Old 05-04-2023, 11:43 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,245,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I’m eating a sandwich with bread as I read this. Is bread really that bad?
No. Bread is not bad. If the majority of your diet is bread, that’s a problem. And if you go through a loaf of wonder bread in a day, that might be a problem.

One of the biggest issues I have seen with bread, for me because I am diabetic, is the serving size. When we were young bread was made in pans that were 8 x 4” if you were home making them. A lot of the commercially made loaves were longer but still 4 inches wide. So your slice of bread was 4 inches by the half of an inch. And two slices of bread made a sandwich.

Now most of the pans that commercial bakers are using are 9 x 6”. And because we’re used to having two slices for a sandwich we use two slices, which is two servings. Which I get because psychologically, to me, one slice of bread makes me feel deprived, it feels like a half sandwich.

I pay more for the smaller loaf that is still 8 x 4, but it is also thin sliced, and I still can have two pieces of bread for a sandwich. It is also organic, and supposed to be healthier because it’s whole-grain.

I eat bread maybe twice a week. I do however eat Triscuits frequently with a piece of cheese.

Grains are not the issue, in my opinion, portion size is the issue. There’s another discussion I think it’s in the food form. Dishes have gotten bigger. In the 60s you had a 6 ounce cup. The average mug is 12 ounces, very easy to find 16 ounces, and I have a 20 ounce one for coffee.

In the 60s even casual sets of dinnerware generally had a bread and butter plate it was about 6 inches. Salad plate that was about 7 inches. Set a dinner plate that was about 10 or 10 1/2. That one hasn’t changed. Salad plates are now the size of what luncheons plates used to be, and the bread and butter plate is gone away. Are use old ones for dessert plates now.

But once again psychologically, we want to fill that plate. We eat with our eyes. So the portions are much bigger. I mean growing up a salad was a side thing it was a small amount. Now that’s what I eat for dinner in a big bowl.

Old 05-04-2023, 11:45 AM

88,523 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
The particle test is called NMR, it's a cheap $100 test, covered by Medicare and private insurance. You might not need statins at all!
Thanks, I am going to ask about it next time I go.

Old 05-04-2023, 11:50 AM

88,523 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
YW, the test has been around for years, of course the doctors don't let patients know about it because they push the statins.
I don't think that is the case with my doctor. He specifically told me when I saw him back in 2020 that it is better to try first to control the blood sugar and cholesterol with diet and exercise. I did that, went back to him four months later, and the blood sugar was normal, but the cholesterol was not. At that time, he said it may just be what my cholesterol is now, but he didn't prescribe anything.

Then I saw him last month for the first time since then, and this time, since my cholesterol was the same, he said he would prescribe a statin because it was likely genetic. I don't know what made him decide differently now, maybe my age. But since both parents had heart disease (although Mom lived to be 91), I thought maybe I should pay attention.

Would like to see about that particle thing. If I don't have to take a med, I would rather not.

Old 05-04-2023, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't think that is the case with my doctor. He specifically told me when I saw him back in 2020 that it is better to try first to control the blood sugar and cholesterol with diet and exercise. I did that, went back to him four months later, and the blood sugar was normal, but the cholesterol was not. At that time, he said it may just be what my cholesterol is now, but he didn't prescribe anything.

Then I saw him last month for the first time since then, and this time, since my cholesterol was the same, he said he would prescribe a statin because it was likely genetic. I don't know what made him decide differently now, maybe my age. But since both parents had heart disease (although Mom lived to be 91), I thought maybe I should pay attention.

Would like to see about that particle thing. If I don't have to take a med, I would rather not.

Old 05-04-2023, 02:00 PM

37,450 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I’m eating a sandwich with bread as I read this. Is bread really that bad?
In most cases bread is okay.

A few people have huge problems with wheat.

It is hard to say exactly what triggers some diseases.

When I was 40yo, we shifted to the Mediterranean Diet and that caused my cholesterol to shoot up.

When I was 50yo I developed an extremely aggressive type of prostate cancer. My family does not have any history of it. So what caused that?

Now I am 64yo, and something has caused my A1C to go up too high. My family does not have a history of diabetes.

Jumping down the rabbit hole, I read a lot about carbs and fiber. I was shocked to learn that even fiber supplements still have more carbs than they do fiber.

We have two close friends, who are currently going through dialysis 3X a week. One of them just had a foot removed. All as complications from diabetes. I wish to avoid diabetes if I can. So in order to avoid diabetes I have stopped wheat, potatoes, and rice.

That is not to say that anyone else should stop eating wheat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness