Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2023, 07:57 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times

Advertisements

I am not gluten intolerant but I am gluten sensitive, to the point where even a half a piece of toast causes me to bloat up. So I cut gluten out of my diet and that includes most breads. However, I will say this - learn to read labels. Also, realize that anything containing corn is likely to turn sweet on you. In my experience, rice flours are the best substitute for wheat flour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2023, 12:09 PM

10,890 posts, read 7,373,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Apparently, most patients lie to their PCPs. They say they have changed their diet, yet the blood work says otherwise.
Patients often lie to themselves, too.

I saw clips from a show filmed in Australia (I think), where people wanting to lose weight would talk to the dietician/host about how little they ate, and how they never ate sugar.

Then the show set up cameras and followed them around, showing them eating lots of candy, or multiple burgers.

And some people are clueless, or think everybody else is...
One woman I knew mentioned she wasn't eating bread or potatoes, and I asked if she was eating low carb. She rather angrily informed me she was doing NO carb. But she was eating veggies, which do have carbs. And she often brought cookies to potlucks; she would never eat any in public, but who makes cookies without eating any? I sure couldn't do that, so I don't make cookies, or keep cookie ingredients on hand.

Old 05-03-2023, 01:51 PM

37,451 posts, read 61,360,276 times
I got a call from my doctor's office, she has scheduled me for more blood work. It appears that she wants to see new blood work done every 6 weeks, until my new dietary restrictions fail.

I am beginning to think that maybe having extremely good health insurance may be working against me. I bet there is a limit to how frequently other policies would allow for so many blood tests.

Old 05-03-2023, 02:02 PM

13,062 posts, read 7,497,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
My cancer treatment has caused me to put on a few too many pounds, I would like to drop weight.

My diet now is meat, veggies, and salad, along with green tea [with stevia].
Leuprolide?
Luckily, PSA level has been low and haven't need for an injection for 24 months.
For a while, the hot flashes got really intense. I've gained 10 pounds last 6 months, age related?

Wife is still away, so I am soon off to the DQ for a greasy burger (s) without buns and a no sugar drink, using coupon.

Old 05-03-2023, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Leuprolide?
Yes, that is the one.

I had my prostate removed and my PSA went to <0.04. Then three years later my PSA started climbing again. So I was put on a chemical castration [Leuprolide] for two years, during which I did 45 radiation treatments. Now my PSA is back down to <0.04

Quote:
Luckily, PSA level has been low and haven't need for an injection for 24 months.
For a while, the hot flashes got really intense. I've gained 10 pounds last 6 months, age related?
My hot flashes were bad, night sweats, and mood swings, and I got hit with clinical depression [made much better with an anti-depressant].

All of which were predicted by my oncologist.

Old 05-03-2023, 05:59 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Patients often lie to themselves, too.

I saw clips from a show filmed in Australia (I think), where people wanting to lose weight would talk to the dietician/host about how little they ate, and how they never ate sugar.

Then the show set up cameras and followed them around, showing them eating lots of candy, or multiple burgers.

And some people are clueless, or think everybody else is...
One woman I knew mentioned she wasn't eating bread or potatoes, and I asked if she was eating low carb. She rather angrily informed me she was doing NO carb. But she was eating veggies, which do have carbs. And she often brought cookies to potlucks; she would never eat any in public, but who makes cookies without eating any? I sure couldn't do that, so I don't make cookies, or keep cookie ingredients on hand.
This is true. A woman I worked with, herself obese, once mused about how we lie to ourselves. She said she was sitting in the office of another heavy guy, and he had a dish of M&Ms in his office. She said "Jack" was saying how he has been going to the gym almost every day, but for some reason, he was not losing weight, and he didn't understand it. And as he was talking, he was picking up M&Ms one by one and eating them.

Other people sabotage us, too. For a time, after my divorce, my daughter and I had to live with my parents. All I would have to do is mention that I was going to get some salad ingredients because I needed to lose a few pounds, and the next day I would come home to my mother beaming over having made a cake from scratch or some homemade chocolate chip cookies or brownies. It was so weird that I actually tested it by deliberately saying I was starting a diet even if I wasn't, to make sure it wasn't my imagination. But no, that would set her to baking.

She's gone now, and those things make me smile, but at the time, I was frustrated by her attempts at sabotage and my own lack of willpower. Ugly divorce, being broke, someone puts tasty baked goods in my face. Bad combination for the body.

Old 05-03-2023, 06:04 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
sometimes diet has nothing to do with blood work. just so you know.
True. I never in my life had high cholesterol, until I did, and oddly, it showed up after I was vegetarian for two years. But I did eat cheese, and probably more than I should have.

Then I saw the doc and my blood sugar was high and my cholesterol was high so I asked the doc for a few months to try to get them down with diet and exercise. I started eating sort of Mediterranean, lots of vegetables, lots of fish, limited meat and dairy, very little sugar. I went back to him four months later, 27 pounds lighter, and my a1c was down to normal but my cholesterol had only budged three points, from 244 to 241. I just went back, nearly three years later, and it's still 241. He put me on a statin.

Old 05-03-2023, 06:16 PM

30,416 posts, read 21,222,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
True. I never in my life had high cholesterol, until I did, and oddly, it showed up after I was vegetarian for two years. But I did eat cheese, and probably more than I should have.

Then I saw the doc and my blood sugar was high and my cholesterol was high so I asked the doc for a few months to try to get them down with diet and exercise. I started eating sort of Mediterranean, lots of vegetables, lots of fish, limited meat and dairy, very little sugar. I went back to him four months later, 27 pounds lighter, and my a1c was down to normal but my cholesterol had only budged three points, from 244 to 241. I just went back, nearly three years later, and it's still 241. He put me on a statin.
Mine was over 250 for 20 years i guess. I never went to a doc for over 25 years. I take a pill since about 2.5 years ago. Maybe high numbers don't effect all peeps the same. I feel better now than i did over 30 years ago.

Old 05-03-2023, 06:39 PM

I was stationed in Naples Italy for three years. We did not live on-base, rather we had an apartment in town and we sourced most of our food from the local Farmers' Markets, the Naples fish market is huge [but we carefully avoided the bottle nose dolphin meat]. My cholesterol immediately went up too high. It exceeded the Navy Hospitals ability to get an accurate reading, it was far too high for their equipment to get an accurate reading. They put me on statins to drive it down, and I had to meet with a nutritionist every month, for a year. She insisted that we had to shift to only using Grapeseed oil in our home.

That happened in 1997. In 2007 I began to experience muscle pain in my thighs, I quit that statin and the pain went away. Every year my PCPs tried to talk me into going back onto a statin.

Around 2015 I began searching for a lab sample of the yeast [Monascus purpureus] that produces the natural statin, after five years of being unsuccessful in my search, in 2020 I decided to go back onto a different statin.

As an organic gardener, I would much prefer to grow the yeast myself and free myself from big pharma.

Old 05-03-2023, 07:02 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,154,568 times
These threads are just mind boggling.... I stopped eating this..i stopped eating that. I have one word for you all...MODERATION. You dont have to cut out ANYTHING..just don't over indulge.

Stop looking for the quick fix..change your diet to eat less and moderate foods that arent great for you...that's it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness