Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2023, 11:48 AM

3,070 posts, read 2,405,369 times

Advertisements

There are a few carby things I miss, but being thin, healthy and energetic feels better than anything tastes. I used to make a lot of low-carb desserts, but when I stopped, I dropped five pounds. That doesn't sound like much, but I'm a small person and it all came off my belly--so it was probably visceral fat.

A word to the wise: some keto and low-carb breads have been found to contain more carbohydrate than what's on the label. If you have concerns, test your blood sugar right before and an hour after eating some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2023, 12:05 PM

36,422 posts, read 16,036,192 times
I'd like to know why you are giving up wheat. Do you have a DX, are you Celiac ? that would make a big difference in how I interpret your question. Corn tortillas are ok for me, but not corn pone. Corn makes my intestines angry and that's not good.

Old 04-30-2023, 12:37 PM

2,036 posts, read 3,353,840 times
I didn't read all the comments and i'm not sure the reasons you're giving up bread.

I can't and won't

My belly doesn't do great with wheat, and my Dr. suggested Rye bread and Sourdough bread as alternatives. Has helped immensely.

Old 04-30-2023, 12:51 PM

13,079 posts, read 7,523,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Last year my A1C climbed too high, my PCP warned me that if it held at that level I would need to start on diabetes drugs.

So I stopped eating wheat, potatoes and rice.

Cold turkey, I just stopped.

My A1C went back down, my PCP was shocked.
how do you make up the calorie loss by limiting carb consumption?

Old 04-30-2023, 02:49 PM

81 posts, read 46,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I tried a good keto pancake recipe recently. https://www.wholesomeyum.com/wprm_print/recipe/23222

mostly almond flour and eggs. No wheat, no carbs.

This looks interesting, going to try them.

We replaced bread with quinoa and sweet potatoes.

When we have guests and they just MUST have some sort of bread available I buy buy Ezekiel bread.

Last edited by Ampleapricots; 04-30-2023 at 03:26 PM..

Old 05-01-2023, 03:06 AM

7,265 posts, read 5,147,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
There are probably multiple, interacting genotypes that result in the phenotype of "DM" (hi BS) when a certain threshhold of calorie intake is surpassed....Those genotypes perpetuated themselves in the population because they had survival value back in the day when calories were hard to come by (primitive lifestyle)...Today, when YoHos & Twinkies are too cheap and easy to get, those T2s get fatter than need be essily. They don't need to replace the excess csarbs...

The excess carbs ARE the problem. The T2s get obese on low calorie counts that would keep a non-diabetic skinny....For the non-diabetic, obesity isn't in itself necessarily unhealthy, but they don't need to replace lost calories either. Increaed storage fat means you're getting too many calories.

Old 05-01-2023, 01:03 PM

37,470 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Good for you...and your doc needs more experience.
The PCP's issue was that patients would say that they had changed their diet in some manner, but few patients actually made the changes.

We have multiple close friends who all have diabetes, and watching each of them suffer through the long-term complications of that disease has motivated me to avoid diabetes.

I recently watched a TED talk where a doctor said the medical industry should change the name of the disease from 'Diabetes' to 'over-processed foods disease'.

Old 05-01-2023, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Why would a doctor be shocked at that?
Apparently, most patients lie to their PCPs. They say they have changed their diet, yet the blood work says otherwise.

Old 05-01-2023, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
My cancer treatment has caused me to put on a few too many pounds, I would like to drop weight.

My diet now is meat, veggies, and salad, along with green tea [with stevia].

Old 05-01-2023, 01:18 PM

3,085 posts, read 1,549,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Apparently, most patients lie to their PCPs. They say they have changed their diet, yet the blood work says otherwise.
sometimes diet has nothing to do with blood work. just so you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness