Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2023, 09:33 PM

13,080 posts, read 7,527,706 times

Advertisements

^everything in moderation. Fruits impact me.
My real problem is how much fruit we (spouse and me) eat.
We used to have a home orchard and a commercial orchard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2023, 08:37 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,593,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
No, he eats flour tortillas now and then. No corn.
Flour tortillos would be the same thing as bread...except w/o yeast, I guess.

I buy whole grain tortillas, when I get tortillas, which is rarely. They're not filling, to me, so I tend to eat more of those than bread.

I consider whole grains as part of a health diet, but then I have no health issues, allergies, etc. They have vitamins & minerals and some fiber. Too much fiber isn't good, though. It's a matter of eating a balanced diet, for me.

I don't eat beef, any more, though, since it's linked to cancer causation. I don't eat pork, either. Poultry & fish & eggs & skim milk for protein. I need to eat more veggies, tho. Not a favorite thing of mine.

Old 05-05-2023, 08:44 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,891,275 times
I don't eat a lot of bread but I eat it. Usually breads with a good fiber to carb ratio. Sometimes I have to adjust like tonight, we are having fajitas, all I have is flour tortillas, and I'm not driving 30 mins to the store. So I'll try to maximize the filling to tortilla portions, and I will drink some fiber before the meal.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-05-2023, 09:27 AM

36,427 posts, read 16,038,061 times
https://homesteadandchill.com/why-so...-is-healthier/

Sourdough is the least processed bread you can eat. The fermentation process takes out a lot of gluten. It's the only bread I eat due to digestive disease.

Old 05-05-2023, 09:36 AM

DH makes a mean sourdough. I'll indulge in one piece fresh out of the oven with irish butter.

Old 05-05-2023, 09:40 AM

36,427 posts, read 16,038,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
DH makes a mean sourdough. I'll indulge in one piece fresh out of the oven with irish butter.
Yum!

Old 05-05-2023, 01:41 PM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
I make a fresh sourdough starter every Spring. A couple of different groups invite me to come and do a presentation on sourdough every year.

My current batch of starter just this week has gotten up to the point of working fast enough to calf a loaf of bread twice a week.

To my understanding, slow yeasts devour most of the carbs, they have no effect on the gluten. Gluten is a protein. Yeasts eat sugars and carbs.

Which causes sourdough bread to be more glycemic index neutral.

It is a bit weird for me this year to be making another fresh sourdough starter, when I am not eating wheat.

For a few years, my Dw was on a dried-bean flour kick, during those years I made my sourdough starter using dried-bean flour instead of wheat.

Old 05-05-2023, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I make a fresh sourdough starter every Spring. A couple of different groups invite me to come and do a presentation on sourdough every year.

My current batch of starter just this week has gotten up to the point of working fast enough to calf a loaf of bread twice a week.

To my understanding, slow yeasts devour most of the carbs, they have no effect on the gluten. Gluten is a protein. Yeasts eat sugars and carbs.

Which causes sourdough bread to be more glycemic index neutral.

It is a bit weird for me this year to be making another fresh sourdough starter, when I am not eating wheat.

For a few years, my Dw was on a dried-bean flour kick, during those years I made my sourdough starter using dried-bean flour instead of wheat.
That bean flour sounds super interesting.

When I ask DH makes me a brown loaf of bread. Not much wheat flour, but a mix of other types, seeds, nuts, it's very good, very heavy, and very rustic.

I haven't tested my blood glucose after eating sourdough, I'm afraid it spikes it and I don't want to know.

I'll get around to it. I'm pre diabetic, and I'm pretty diligent about not eating things that exacerbate that.

I knew about the low glycemic index, but googled about the gluten and she is 100% correct. I learned at least 1 new thing today.

Old 06-04-2023, 07:06 AM

3,126 posts, read 1,017,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
It's hard to find a substitute for bread (wheat ) since it's so versatile and ,importantly, filling.
ALDI has low carbs tortillas, they are made with almond flour. I think they are 8 tortillas in a package and the price is decent. Around $ 3.50 ...something like that. One tortilla has 60 calories and only 4 net carbs. I subtract the fiber from carbs and the result is net carbs. These are in the store where all the bread is sold.

ALDI has also another bread made of coconut and cauliflower. It's grain free. Actually they are wraps, 3 net carbs/one and 60 calories. For 8 wraps you pay $ 3 and something, I forgot the actual price. These I buy and eat quite often. I only need one wrap or one and 1/2 and I only have them in the morning. With something else, like a hard boiled egg, some guacamole, plus a cup of tea etc. They are really good. Are made with a little olive oil and have in them lots of flax seeds.

I used to buy some wraps from Sprouts, they are made from eggs...1 gram of carbs each and 30-35 calories but...they are quite expensive and not all Sprouts sell them. These are refrigerated.

Take care.
(I didn't read any comments here, only your first comment, maybe someone else suggested the same thing, I don't know.)

Last edited by farm108; 06-04-2023 at 07:28 AM..

Old 06-10-2023, 04:20 PM

27,231 posts, read 43,984,073 times
America's obsession with eliminating carbs is hilarious and little wonder why we're the butt of so much worldwide ridicule. It's about moderation as witnessed by the Mediterranean Diet which is heavily focused toward whole grains, fresh fruits/vegetables, potatoes/legumes, nuts/seeds along with lean proteins like fish/poultry and dairy in low amounts with healthy fats like olive oil. We really need to get over the all or nothing approach and learn moderation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness