Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2023, 08:33 PM

15,641 posts, read 26,273,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Then what? Bake in a 350 oven in a square pan? Inquiring minds need to know.
The recipes I’ve seen it’s made somewhat like polenta, where you soak the cornmeal in hot water until it sort of forms of dough, and then you make little balls or pancakes and fry them in the bacon grease. To me this is something akin to scrapple without the pig parts, which is usually sliced and fried. And what you fry it in helps give it more flavor. The maple syrup on top of scrapple does not hurt at all.

I like scrapple. Probably has a lot to do with the fact that I hail from the Pennsylvania Dutch a few generations back. So it’s not my fault.

Old 04-30-2023, 01:11 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,214,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I have made corn pone, we eat with a soup I make out of greens (kale or collards) - we lived in Alabama for awhile. They are quite dry, sort of like baking powder biscuit. You might look at Hoe Cakes, made without flour, as I much prefer them buttered (well, mix of butter and olive oil)

Something like this recipe (and you can make your own oat flour, by taking plain old oatmeal and grinding it, I use my coffee bean grinder to make it. It is pancake like, but it doesn't have the taste of a pancake, which basically just tastes like flour to me.

https://culinaryimmigration.com/reci...oecake-recipe/

We tried buying the Bob's Red Mill non-gluten flour, which is expensive. We made ourselves regular bread, and our son the "special" bread. Yeah, his rolls/bread were terrible, so bad that one could easily give up bread if they had to eat that stuff.

We even tried buying all of those expensive separate ingredients to make "non-gluten", and that wasn't good either.

One can make their own corn tortillas, and they are wonderful, nothing like those hockey pucks in the store.

Once you get the hang of knowing how wet/dry the tortilla needs to be, it is SO simple. I do highly recommend getting a tortilla press, and using waxed paper in the press to avoid sticking on the press.

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipe...orn_tortillas/
Thanks for the alternative ideas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2023, 01:51 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,765,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Corn pone and wheat bread are going to be about the same to your system. What are you trying to accomplish?
Believe me, if you react to wheat because of gluten issues or because of issues with fructo-oligosaccharides or fructans - or all of the above - corn is MUCH better!

Old 04-30-2023, 04:55 AM

1,400 posts, read 767,879 times
Ezekiel 4:9 bread is very good. It's not a regular type bread at all but it is wonderful especially toasted. It has no preservatives so it's going to be in the freezer section. It's made out of beans and whole grains. It's pricey but worth it

Old 04-30-2023, 06:02 AM

3,495 posts, read 1,752,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I have eaten those almost every time I've made Middle Eastern food lately (like chicken with smoky harissa sauce). I heat them up, then eat them as if they were naan with curry, tearing off little pieces to have with each bite of the chicken/veggies. They are very good that way!

I also just tried Mission's low-carb flour tortillas for the first time last Saturday night (I made steak tacos). I was astonished at how good they are -- I seriously cannot tell the difference between those and their regular flour tortillas (which are a lot higher in calories and much higher in carbs, although I don't worry too much about carbs). I just got some of their small net-zero tortillas from Walmart -- haven't tried those yet but I suspect a Tuesday Taco night is in my near future!

OP, what IS corn pone? I've never even heard of it!

Old 04-30-2023, 06:22 AM

4,542 posts, read 12,410,358 times
My blood sugar level (AC1?) was bumping up around 100 and my doctor gave me the list of things I needed to cut out of my diet: bread, rice, potatoes, pasta.

I cut the potatoes out of my breakfast, and pretty much eliminated accessory bread from my diet, but the pasta stayed, and I still eat potatoes, pasta, and rice for dinner when the dish requires it.

Still, with only that limited starch rollback, my blood sugar dropped to 90. My doctor was happy with that, and the scoldings stopped.

Old 04-30-2023, 07:29 AM

22,233 posts, read 19,245,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
^^^ a half cup of bacon grease is about 900 cal-- but if that makes 16 servings, it's about the same -or less) as the cal count for a slice of white bread. The satiety center in the brain (tells us we're "full") is stimulated by fat in the diet....That's why the standard joke about Chinese food (mostly carbs/little fat) is true. It's easier to limit cal count when there's enough fat in the meals. When you eat German food, after a half hour, you're hungry again too-- for power!! (That joke was funnier 80 yrs ago)
a food plan "for health reasons"
is more than just "feeling full" "eating fat" "calorie count"

bacon is not a part of any healthy food plan.
neither is half cup bacon fat

Old 04-30-2023, 10:06 AM

10,908 posts, read 7,406,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There definitely are carbs in almond flour, but since half the carb count is fiber, that minimizes the net carb count.
You're right. The package says that a 15g serving has 3g of carbs, of which 2 are fiber, leaving 1g net carbs.

Lazy me didn't read the package before cooking OR posting.

Last edited by steiconi; 04-30-2023 at 10:35 AM..

Old 04-30-2023, 10:09 AM

6,136 posts, read 3,358,943 times
I have given up bread (and all other processed carbs) totally for the last 3 years and counting.

Yes, I miss bread from time to time, just like I miss ice cream, cake, pie, etc.

But I don’t miss them enough that I end up sliding back into those bad habits.

If you aren’t getting filled up, I wonder how your macros are looking as far as protein and fats?

I never go over my macros, but I do try to get 100% protein and fats per day. As far as carbs, I only get them through vegetables, nuts, and fruit. Because of the high fiber, my net carbs are usually around 25-50 per day.

I don’t like keto as I feel it is way too restrictive and not sustainable for the long term. I consider fruit to be my “cheat snack” and I don’t want to give it up just to maintain 20g or less carbs per day.

Anyway, I rarely feel hungry at all, and on the occasion that I do, I will just eat a high fat snack, such as a small portion of almonds or walnuts.

I like to use lettuce wraps and that sort of thing, but I guess if you really miss bread, you can make (or buy) keto bread.

Old 04-30-2023, 10:18 AM

17,402 posts, read 16,553,894 times
There are some lower carb bread options available now.

I tend to stay away from even those options to avoid "carb creep". It might be weird at first to not eat bread but you get used to it. And it's not like you can never, ever have bread again, it just can no longer be a staple of your diet anymore. Treat it as a rare, once in a blue moon treat.

I recently had a Carb Counter tortilla that tasted like the real deal to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness