Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2023, 02:34 AM

7,263 posts, read 5,143,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Last year my A1C climbed too high, my PCP warned me that if it held at that level I would need to start on diabetes drugs.

So I stopped eating wheat, potatoes and rice.

Cold turkey, I just stopped.

My A1C went back down, my PCP was shocked.
Good for you...and your doc needs more experience. Dietary restriction of carbs is often the only therapy needed in T2DM.

It's not what you eat, it's how much you eat that counts in managing DM. Bread or any "carb" is not poison, it just has to be taken in moderation-- kinda like the joke about "I'll just do it 'til I need glasses."

Unless you have gluten intolerance, there's not an absolute need to avoid bread...and to those who think whole grain is so good for you-- compare the nutritional content of a slice of commercial white bread to whole grain bread-- considering you're only eating a couple slices a day, don't bother worrying about it-- they're identical in practical terms-- 2x very little isn't much more than 1x very little. They use fortified white flour-- same as takng a vitamin pill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2023, 10:00 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,267,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Corn Pone and Corn Bread are different.
The most basic recipe for pone is

4 cups ground white or yellow cornmeal
1 Tablespoon salt
2-3 cups of very hot water (not boiling)
1/2 cup of bacon grease (or other fat)

Many variations.
Well, here’s the thing it depends on the size of the corn pone cake or patty you’re making, just like it depends on the kind of bread that you’re using. Just doing a looksee online using carb counter.com a piece of corn pone has 27.6 carbs and a slice of whole-grain bread has 15. So corn pone would be worse if you’re just looking at carbs. And frankly, doing it this way it’s not very accurate.

You can look at a package of bread and see what an actual serving is, people are always surprised with the big loaves serving as one piece. If you get the smaller thinner sliced loaves it is two pieces.

But, you can take your recipe of corn pone, and get a more accurate understanding of the recipe using this link:

https://www.verywellfit.com/recipe-n...alyzer-4157076

It’s kind of a drag — you have to put the whole damn recipe in there but using the recipe you gave me, if you get let’s say 16 servings out of it you can choose the number of servings so you can get a more accurate count of what you are eating. And thusly, you can change it if you only get 10 servings out of that recipe you’re talking about.

Being a diabetic, I need to watch my carbs. That means way more to me than calories, cholesterol, all those things are fine for me. It’s the fact that I can’t eat all the yummy sweets that I wish I could. Because sugar is my drug of choice.

Old 04-29-2023, 11:22 AM

88,591 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I have eaten those almost every time I've made Middle Eastern food lately (like chicken with smoky harissa sauce). I heat them up, then eat them as if they were naan with curry, tearing off little pieces to have with each bite of the chicken/veggies. They are very good that way!

I also just tried Mission's low-carb flour tortillas for the first time last Saturday night (I made steak tacos). I was astonished at how good they are -- I seriously cannot tell the difference between those and their regular flour tortillas (which are a lot higher in calories and much higher in carbs, although I don't worry too much about carbs). I just got some of their small net-zero tortillas from Walmart -- haven't tried those yet but I suspect a Tuesday Taco night is in my near future!

OP, what IS corn pone? I've never even heard of it!
Not even Jubilation T. Cornpone? (From L'il Abner, for those of a certain age who remember this musical.)

I just can't resist. It started playing in my head with the first post.

https://youtu.be/_TfcJ82FAhw

More seriously, I limit my bread intake because it seems to just blow me up. My own adult kid is gluten intolerant, but I am not.

I buy rice cakes, the ones with "caramel" (a very light coating that gives it a tiny bit of sweetness, but still only 50 calories per rice cake) and put peanut butter on them instead of toast.

The cornpone recipe sounds delicious for an occasional treat.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 04-29-2023 at 11:40 AM..

Old 04-29-2023, 11:50 AM

22,192 posts, read 19,233,374 times
it is hilarious to see in a thread with title that includes "giving up for health reasons"

recipes posted which include
"add 1/2 cup bacon grease or other fat"

HALF A CUP BACON GREASE

that gave me a hearty laugh to start my day

Old 04-29-2023, 05:51 PM

7,263 posts, read 5,143,446 times
^^^ a half cup of bacon grease is about 900 cal-- but if that makes 16 servings, it's about the same -or less) as the cal count for a slice of white bread.

The satiety center in the brain (tells us we're "full") is stimulated by fat in the diet....That's why the standard joke about Chinese food (mostly carbs/little fat) is true. It's easoer to limit cal count when there's enough fat in the meals.

When you eat German food, after a half hour, you're hungry again too-- for power!! (That joke was funnier 80 yrs ago)

Old 04-29-2023, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Last year my A1C climbed too high, my PCP warned me that if it held at that level I would need to start on diabetes drugs.

So I stopped eating wheat, potatoes and rice.

Cold turkey, I just stopped.

My A1C went back down, my PCP was shocked.
Why would a doctor be shocked at that? My doctor agreed that it was better for me to first try to lower my a1c through diet and exercise than to give me meds right off the bat. I did, and it went back down to normal range.

Old 04-29-2023, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Corn Pone and Corn Bread are different.
The most basic recipe for pone is

4 cups ground white or yellow cornmeal
1 Tablespoon salt
2-3 cups of very hot water (not boiling)
1/2 cup of bacon grease (or other fat)

Many variations.
Then what? Bake in a 350 oven in a square pan? Inquiring minds need to know.

Old 04-29-2023, 06:35 PM

25,960 posts, read 22,132,993 times
Quote:
I used them for quite a while but they're so small!
I have also bought every kind of gluten free bread and while some weren't too bad, all of them were rather dry, the crusts were terrible, and toasting was about the only way they are decent. Also, they're expensive!
Mainly, I wanted to know if anybody has tried cone pone.
Guess I'll just have to experiment and make some
I have made corn pone, we eat with a soup I make out of greens (kale or collards) - we lived in Alabama for awhile. They are quite dry, sort of like baking powder biscuit. You might look at Hoe Cakes, made without flour, as I much prefer them buttered (well, mix of butter and olive oil)

Something like this recipe (and you can make your own oat flour, by taking plain old oatmeal and grinding it, I use my coffee bean grinder to make it. It is pancake like, but it doesn't have the taste of a pancake, which basically just tastes like flour to me.

https://culinaryimmigration.com/reci...oecake-recipe/

We tried buying the Bob's Red Mill non-gluten flour, which is expensive. We made ourselves regular bread, and our son the "special" bread. Yeah, his rolls/bread were terrible, so bad that one could easily give up bread if they had to eat that stuff.

We even tried buying all of those expensive separate ingredients to make "non-gluten", and that wasn't good either.

One can make their own corn tortillas, and they are wonderful, nothing like those hockey pucks in the store.

Once you get the hang of knowing how wet/dry the tortilla needs to be, it is SO simple. I do highly recommend getting a tortilla press, and using waxed paper in the press to avoid sticking on the press.

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipe...orn_tortillas/

Old 04-29-2023, 06:39 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,403,930 times
I gave up wheat ages ago. Never understood the need to "do something" for bread. Just eat other food.

Old 04-29-2023, 06:50 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
Corn pone and wheat bread are going to be about the same to your system. What are you trying to accomplish?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness