Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2022, 01:06 PM

4,725 posts, read 4,424,762 times

Advertisements

A very small purchase and very small detail but it 's a good improvement.
Our kitchen pantry has those wire shelves. Mostly it's fine but small items sometimes fall through, or often just don't stand up.
So after much internetting I bought this. It works great.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/ClosetMaid-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2022, 07:31 PM

10,311 posts, read 6,856,670 times
Poured 18 yds of mud in the backyard yesterday.

Last edited by NORTY FLATZ; 01-18-2022 at 07:31 PM.. Reason: Fixed it.

Old 01-19-2022, 10:23 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,653,002 times
Default Works like magic! No heavy lifting!

I can't believe it took this long to invent this handy little gizmo.

A simple electric dispenser for 5-gallon drinking water jugs:

https://www.amazon.com/Charging-Auto...07HFPC7HB&th=1

We were getting too old to heft those heavy jugs up and over. What a lifesaver! And only $14....

Best thing I've bought in decades.

Old 01-21-2022, 11:42 AM

17,629 posts, read 17,696,894 times
Purchased a Vicks humidifier. https://www.target.com/p/vicks-filte...r/-/A-14898259

Link above has the model we purchased. There are other models of different sizes. My wife has super Sonic hearing and she cannot hear it running. Currently have it in the living room filled with a gallon of distilled water. Tap water can be used but our tap water is horrible. Even filtered our tap water leaves behind white powder minerals. The clear blue tank removes from the base and the fill port is on the bottom of the tank with a locking cap. The dial in front is the humidity setting. It’s suppose to shut off automatically when it reaches your desired humidity. It is suppose to shut off if it runs out of water. The disadvantage of this model is there is nothing on the dial to indicate the humidity setting like in higher priced models. Our home thermostat has a humidity sensor. Have been regularly checking home humidity. When it reaches 40% I can turn the control dial in reverse until it turns off. It should then maintain around that humidity level. Humidity has risen 5% and the home feels more comfortable during this cold snap. Though we haven’t changed the thermostat setting we feel more comfortable.

Old 01-21-2022, 12:30 PM

10,311 posts, read 6,856,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Purchased a Vicks humidifier. https://www.target.com/p/vicks-filte...r/-/A-14898259

Link above has the model we purchased. There are other models of different sizes. My wife has super Sonic hearing and she cannot hear it running. Currently have it in the living room filled with a gallon of distilled water. Tap water can be used but our tap water is horrible. Even filtered our tap water leaves behind white powder minerals. The clear blue tank removes from the base and the fill port is on the bottom of the tank with a locking cap. The dial in front is the humidity setting. It’s suppose to shut off automatically when it reaches your desired humidity. It is suppose to shut off if it runs out of water. The disadvantage of this model is there is nothing on the dial to indicate the humidity setting like in higher priced models. Our home thermostat has a humidity sensor. Have been regularly checking home humidity. When it reaches 40% I can turn the control dial in reverse until it turns off. It should then maintain around that humidity level. Humidity has risen 5% and the home feels more comfortable during this cold snap. Though we haven’t changed the thermostat setting we feel more comfortable.
Be careful with humidifiers. Especially during Winter, when there is little air movement/open windows.

40% should be "ok" but let it get to 60% and you've created a perfect environment for mold to propagate. Mold is a whole lot worse than "uncomfortable" health wise.

Old 01-22-2022, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Be careful with humidifiers. Especially during Winter, when there is little air movement/open windows.

40% should be "ok" but let it get to 60% and you've created a perfect environment for mold to propagate. Mold is a whole lot worse than "uncomfortable" health wise.
Our home was built in 73 and is a bit drafty. Have a humidity sensor on thermostat. Using it right now to measure humidity. We have all ceiling fans on low speed blowing upwards and a central air unit. Turned off humidifier before bed. Was about 35% before bed. Discovered changing the dial position changes amount of mist released from unit. Have it turned up all the way and will monitor humidity levels. Woke to 29% humidity this morning. 30 degrees outside which is very cold for south Louisiana. Will turn off humidifier before leaving for work.

Old 01-26-2022, 02:02 PM

185 posts, read 136,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
A very small purchase and very small detail but it 's a good improvement.
Our kitchen pantry has those wire shelves. Mostly it's fine but small items sometimes fall through, or often just don't stand up.
So after much internetting I bought this. It works great.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/ClosetMaid-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Love that and I need it! Thanks! Previous homeowner put a bunch of hard placemats on the pantry wire shelving.

Old 01-26-2022, 02:07 PM

185 posts, read 136,425 times
Dusk-to-Dawn light bulbs for exterior lights. They are bulbs that have a sensor in them to detect how light it is outside. They automatically come on when it gets dark. You just keep the switch "On" and don't worry about it again. No need for timers. (These are NOT solar lights - they need electrical.)

They now come in all different types. I put the chandelier-type bulbs in my porch fixture and garage sconces.

Old 01-28-2022, 12:31 AM

18,531 posts, read 18,765,230 times
Flush overhead lights without having to replace bulbs ever.. they ll last longer than I will.

Old 01-28-2022, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Flush overhead lights without having to replace bulbs ever.. they ll last longer than I will.
At work we’ve had LED light panels installed. Majority of them work fine 5 years later. However some of those panels have had to be replaced or repaired. This is why I chose to not install such panels. I installed traditional light fixtures which are cheaper to buy and I, or future home owners, CNA choose what type of bulb and light bulbs output we want from the fixtures. If the bulb goes out then it doesn’t require removing the entire fixture to replace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House