Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2021, 10:01 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,076,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
I hope I am not jinxing us, but the Miele is brilliant. It’s so quiet that when it makes the chiming noises at the end I sometimes get startled because I didn’t realize it was on. Four months on, and I’ve rewashed one fork.
But again, I ask: are most dishwashers really that noisy? That's a real question -- I'm not being sarcastic or mean or whatever. I've just never hung out in my kitchen after starting the dishwasher, so I don't understand the complaints about noise. I've never heard mine (unless I literally sit in dead silence LISTENING for it), and I buy cheap models.

Quote:
Dishwasher was $700 ish + tax shipped, and $50 for the door panel and $100 ish for the pull (it is an integrated model). So around $900.

Our kitchen is mid level—semi-custom cabinets, quartz, marble backsplash. Our other appliances are Cafe. The Cafe dishwashers were similarly priced (if not more) back when we were shopping, but I wanted the cabinet front dishwasher. I felt like I got the look I wanted at a comparable price.
Sounds like the Miele works great in your kitchen -- which is wonderful. For my house, which is NOT high-end (I live in a pretty much upper-middle-class neighborhood, but in southwestern New Hampshire, which is nothing like the expensive enclaves in the U.S.), I really could buy 3-4 "regular" (working fine) dishwashers for what you paid for your Miele. But again, different people want different things, and different things make sense for different houses (and especially different price points), and I do get that. I wish you many many more years of a great dishwasher!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2021, 10:29 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,073,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
But again, I ask: are most dishwashers really that noisy? That's a real question -- I'm not being sarcastic or mean or whatever. I've just never hung out in my kitchen after starting the dishwasher, so I don't understand the complaints about noise. I've never heard mine (unless I literally sit in dead silence LISTENING for it), and I buy cheap models.

All I can tell you is we’ve had everything from Frigidaire to GE to Whirlpool to Bosch (lived in a lot of different houses) and all of our dishwashers have had some amount of noise. The Miele is silent.

Quote:
Sounds like the Miele works great in your kitchen -- which is wonderful. For my house, which is NOT high-end (I live in a pretty much upper-middle-class neighborhood, but in southwestern New Hampshire, which is nothing like the expensive enclaves in the U.S.), I really could buy 3-4 "regular" (working fine) dishwashers for what you paid for your Miele. But again, different people want different things, and different things make sense for different houses (and especially different price points), and I do get that. I wish you many many more years of a great dishwasher!
The main thing is that I wanted a cabinet front dishwasher and it had to be a European brand to fit. The Miele was lower priced than some other choices I had. I could have put in the cheapest of everything but that isn’t what we wanted to do. You’d probably be shocked to know that we spent as much on the cabinet pulls as the Miele dishwasher.

As I said previously, you could buy 5 used Kias for the price of a really nice Mercedes or BMW. I mean, they’re all cars and they all get you from point A to point B.

Thank you for the good wishes.

Last edited by calgirlinnc; 08-14-2021 at 10:44 PM..

Old 08-14-2021, 10:42 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,076,437 times
Quote:
All I can tell you is we’ve had everything from Frigidaire to GE to Whirlpool to Bosch (lived in a lot of different houses) and all of our dishwashers have had some amount of noise. The Miele is silent.
But again (sorry, I am actually laughing as I type this, because no one has answered): do people really hang out in their kitchen after starting their dishwasher? Because if they DON'T (which I assume is the case for most people), then noise from the sloshing of water (or whatever!) in their dishwasher would never be an issue, in reality. So I don't understand the need for "silence." (In other words, if I can't actually hear something -- THAT is quiet enough for me! )

Quote:
The main thing is that I wanted a cabinet front dishwasher and it had to be a European brand to fit.
That, I TOTALLY get. I didn't need a cabinet front dishwasher, but I have seen them and they are often gorgeous. The models I buy certainly do not offer cabinets to cover them.

Quote:
The Miele was lower priced than some other choices I had. I could have put in the cheapest of everything but that isn’t what we wanted to do. You’d probably be shocked to know that we spent as much on the cabinet pulls as the Miele dishwasher.
LOL, yes, I probably would. I think our priorities are just VERY different -- which, of course, is fine!

Old 08-14-2021, 10:47 PM

Quote:
But again (sorry, I am actually laughing as I type this, because no one has answered): do people really hang out in their kitchen after starting their dishwasher? Because if they DON'T (which I assume is the case for most people), then noise from the sloshing of water (or whatever!) in their dishwasher would never be an issue, in reality. So I don't understand the need for "silence." (In other words, if I can't actually hear something -- THAT is quiet enough for me! )

Our previous home had a kitchen / breakfast nook / keeping room (with the TV) all in one large open area, so yes, the dishwasher was very close to the after dinner TV spot.

We’re a little more separated in this home, but you’d still hear the dishwasher in the dining room or living room or sun room. I think with the rise of open concept floor plans over the last few decades, quieter dishwashers became more of a selling feature...but again, lots of different floor plans out there.

Last edited by calgirlinnc; 08-14-2021 at 11:10 PM..

Old 08-15-2021, 06:18 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,422,252 times
To answer your question, we don't hang out in the kitchen much after dinner, but it does adjoin our family room(where we watch tv). In our previous home, the 2 rooms were even more adjoined and open.
When we moved into this home, the original dishwasher from 1995 ish was still there. It sounded like a helicopter overhead.
It also didn't clean well. So it was rarely used. The new one is so quiet and appreciated.
I often have to go up to it to hear it (and also it has the lights which indicate the part of the cycle).
This one is a GE Profile . In our last house, I replaced the original kitchenaid with the lowest level Bosch. It was very quiet, but I wasn't impressed with it. I bought Bosch because I knew we were selling and people are impressed with Bosch.
I had noticed in many listings that where it might say new appliances, they would specifiy Bosch dishwasher so I went for it. I am sure the better models are superb, but the low end was not great so I didn't really entertain it when we moved and remodeled the kitchen.
I only would consider dishwasher with <50 decibel rating.

Old 08-15-2021, 07:50 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:

That, I TOTALLY get. I didn't need a cabinet front dishwasher, but I have seen them and they are often gorgeous. The models I buy certainly do not offer cabinets to cover them.

LOL, yes, I probably would. I think our priorities are just VERY different -- which, of course, is fine!

Our kitchen is an addition (when our house was built kitchens were in separate buildings), so it is off from the rest of the house. The dishwasher is hidden in the scullery behind a cabinet/secret door. Our household tends to be a bit chaotic anyway. We do not usually sit around in silence. I think the dishwasher could play full volume screamo music while it ran and we would not hear it. I do not care what it looks like or sounds like. It is hidden anyway (our kitchen is antique looking so modern appliances are all hidden away). All I want is one that cleans really well and is easy to get parts or repair people. If it also dries the dishes at least somewhat, that is a plus (our Bosch does not dry them much at all. They come out hot from the drying cycle, but still wet.)

Old 08-15-2021, 11:38 AM

Quote:
I think our priorities are just VERY different -- which, of course, is fine!
Doesn’t really sound like you think it’s fine but whatever. I never expected to get pushback for buying a dishwasher that I liked and that I could afford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
To answer your question, we don't hang out in the kitchen much after dinner, but it does adjoin our family room(where we watch tv). In our previous home, the 2 rooms were even more adjoined and open.
When we moved into this home, the original dishwasher from 1995 ish was still there. It sounded like a helicopter overhead.
It also didn't clean well. So it was rarely used. The new one is so quiet and appreciated.
I often have to go up to it to hear it (and also it has the lights which indicate the part of the cycle).
This one is a GE Profile . In our last house, I replaced the original kitchenaid with the lowest level Bosch. It was very quiet, but I wasn't impressed with it. I bought Bosch because I knew we were selling and people are impressed with Bosch.
I had noticed in many listings that where it might say new appliances, they would specifiy Bosch dishwasher so I went for it. I am sure the better models are superb, but the low end was not great so I didn't really entertain it when we moved and remodeled the kitchen.
I only would consider dishwasher with <50 decibel rating.

Good post and you are probably right about the cheaper models of Bosch. Also we don’t only run our dishwasher after dinner, but after breakfast or whenever it needs it.

Last edited by calgirlinnc; 08-15-2021 at 12:17 PM..

Old 08-15-2021, 01:16 PM

24,579 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Quote:
I hope I am not jinxing us, but the Miele is brilliant. It’s so quiet that when it makes the chiming noises at the end I sometimes get startled because I didn’t realize it was on. Four months on, and I’ve rewashed one fork.

Our previous home had a Bosch that the previous owners installed as part of their renovation, and I hated it with a burning passion. I had to rewash at least half of each load, regardless of soap, rinse aid, pre rinsing, cycle...

Futura Classic Plus.

We have the top row utensil tray, which is so logical once you get used to it.

Dishwasher was $700 ish + tax shipped, and $50 for the door panel and $100 ish for the pull (it is an integrated model). So around $900.

Our kitchen is mid level—semi-custom cabinets, quartz, marble backsplash. Our other appliances are Cafe. The Cafe dishwashers were similarly priced (if not more) back when we were shopping, but I wanted the cabinet front dishwasher. I felt like I got the look I wanted at a comparable price.

BTW, appliance prices have really shot up just in the last year.

That’s great if that works for your house. We have so many options now for every budget and every taste. But it’s a little bit like saying, why did you buy that really nice Mercedes or BMW when I can buy 5 used Kia’s for the same price?
According to Miele's site and Amazon Futura is a vacuum cleaner.

Old 08-15-2021, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
According to Miele's site and Amazon Futura is a vacuum cleaner.

“Miele G4975VI Futura Classic Plus Dishwasher - Panel Ready, Hidden Controls”

https://www.designerappliances.com/miele-g4975vi.html

The newer model is just called “classic plus”.

Old 08-15-2021, 01:42 PM

I got it right off the dishwasher itself:
Attached Thumbnails
What Have You Recently Bought For Your House That You Would Recommend??-fb0ccc32-3a1c-45da-8c55-9e056c550edb.jpeg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House