Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2018, 12:23 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,227,289 times

Advertisements

Can someone who attended the rally please explain these comments? Were any "guys with little boats" there?

Quote:
"You know who was fantastic, the United States Coast Guard...

"And I don't know who in this room did it, these guys with the little boats, think they have this great boat, okay. Where do these people come from? They want to go out, and they want to go into the hurricane -- to show their wife how great they are? And then they go out there and say 'Oh my God I'm dead!'...

"In Texas, the United States Coast Guard saved 16,000 lives....

"And next time, all you guys and gals, when there's a hurricane -- do me a favor, don't take your boat out. Just head out of town for a little while...

"FEMA was great, law enforcement was great, first responders were great, the military -- but the Coast Guard represented the military. I'm proud of 'em."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 12:59 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,545,717 times
I'd say Trump showed up mainly to urge his supporters to forgive Cruz. A lot of Republicans hold a grudge against Cruz for his high profile non-endorsement of Trump at the GOP convention. Cruz isn't so much disliked as he is actively hated* by probably 20%-30% of GOP voters for his apostasy. I expect Trump's endorsement will change their minds, such that he defeats O'Rourke by 20% on Election Day, thereby achieving a margin in line with other statewide GOP officials on the ballot.

* Other political missteps include appearing to endorse illegal border crossings by unaccompanied minors during a photo op conducted with Glenn Beck and attacking Trump during the primaries for violent altercations initiated by Antifa activists in Chicago. Cruz is a good speaker, but his political instincts have been less than unerring. It's understandable for a first term senator who had zero experience in electoral office prior to his upset defeat of his GOP primary challenger for his senate seat.

He needs to think strategically before taking a position on an issue. Someone on a debating team can take and should be able to argue any side of any issue. Whereas a politician who takes the wrong side of an issue may have made a career-ending mistake. Cruz is too smart to be a politician. Less intelligent people are more disciplined about what they say, because they know their limitations. Cruz probably figures he's smart enough to talk his way out of any problems he talked his way into. Unfortunately, in politics, unlike on debating teams, that isn't always true.

Old 10-24-2018, 01:03 PM

3,163 posts, read 2,053,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
Yes because there is no diversity in people “having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East or North Africa.” <=== census bureau definition
No, not much, because if you asked these people to identify as Moroccan/Italian/Iranian etc, or White American, they will identify as a single monolithic group - White American. As a matter of fact - many will tell you that American is all that anyone should identify as in this country, so how can these people be ethnically diverse by definition? Their ancestors were, but White Americans are a unique people just as White South Africans are not the same as their Dutch and English ancestors.

True diversity is representative of the groups currently living in this country in 2018, not representative of the ethnicities of the ancestors of said groups.

But.... you know that already.

Old 10-24-2018, 01:46 PM

8 posts, read 18,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
US Politics in a nutshell:

Liberal: “Lets raise taxes on the rich so everyone can have healthcare”

Rich Guys: “We don’t like taxes, take care of this”

Fox News Talking Heads: “Do you really want health care if blacks and immigrants get it to!”

Old Racist White Voters “Hell no we don’t!”

Trump: “Vote for me and Ill promise to save you from those evil immigrants (but actually my main acheivment is cutting taxes on corporations and the wealthy)”

Rich Guys: “Mission Accomplished!”

Old Racist White Voters: “Ive set up a Go Fund Me to help cover my medical expenses. Please send hopes and prayers.”
You forgot the Tea Baggers and their concern for the defecits during Obama years. Where are they now that we are on track for trillion dollar deficits.

And the dumb old morons on REAL govt. healthcare (medicare) protesting Obamacare (bought via private insurance) with signs stating "Keep your Govt hands off my medicare".

It says a lot about a “man” that can stand on the same platform with the low life person that berated and disrespected his wife publicly and humiliated same for a few votes and shake the low life’s hand like nothing happened. IMHO that is not a “man” at all, but a sorry excuse for one that would sell out his own family for political and or financial gain. Cruz’s wife must be soooo impressed with her lap dog husband, but apparently is accustom to being used as a pawn in her weak kneed hubby’s political ambitions. I must ask: how many women would put up with such behavior? Is the almighty dollar and power that frigging important that a person must shelf their own dignity while their significant other lets a corrupt ******* like dt walk all over that dignity?

Old 10-24-2018, 02:16 PM

223 posts, read 262,185 times
Please notice what our 'stable genius' Cheetoh-in-Chief has unleashed on the markets.....another -3% on the S&P today.

Old 10-24-2018, 11:25 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,268,932 times
One thing I've learned from this rally:

Republican Fervor > Texas Forever

That's right. The Republicans in Texas were too stupid to realize that Trump was making fun of them...

Last edited by kemahkami; 10-24-2018 at 11:43 PM..

Old 10-25-2018, 06:20 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,809,398 times
The recent events and Trump’s response should cause everyone to get out and vote so we can have a check on this unstable, ego driven, narcissist.

Old 10-25-2018, 11:40 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,037,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
The recent events and Trump’s response should cause everyone to get out and vote so we can have a check on this unstable, ego driven, narcissist.
Or we could evaluate the situation, use common sense and vote based on reality instead of emotion and left wing lies.

Old 10-25-2018, 12:03 PM

8,353 posts, read 5,507,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Or we could evaluate the situation, use common sense and vote based on reality instead of emotion and left wing lies.
So...vote based on right wing lies instead?

Old 10-25-2018, 12:05 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,809,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
What are these left wing lies exactly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston