Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2012, 11:05 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,024,203 times

Advertisements

Well, my wife and I were supposed to leave town today on a cross-country trip followed by three months in Miami Beach, but we have been sick all week, and although we're getting better, we're not ready to travel just yet. We're now hoping to start the trip by Sunday or Monday.

This isn't going to be one of those drive all day/night trips to try to get somewhere as quickly as possible. We may only drive three or four hours on some days. The point of the trip is to take a leisurely drive across the country and spend some time sightseeing along the way. We've tentatively planned stops in Flagstaff/Sedona, Albuquerque/Santa Fe; Amarillo, Dallas, New Orleans, Gainesville, FL (where we met in 1975), Poinciana, FL (to see relatives), and then finally Miami Beach. We don't have any particular time schedule or even know how many days we will spend at each stop. (Ain't it great being retired, lol?)

We haven't taken a long car-trip vacation since we were first married. Back then, we drove from Miami to Atlanta, Gatlinburg, Cleveland, Niagara Falls, Toronto, Atlantic City, and the back to Miami. IIRC, we put on close to 4000 miles on the odometer in a short amount of time, but we were in our early 20s. We'll see how much we like doing about 2600 miles at age 56. If we have a good time, we'll repeat the process in November with stops in different places going east to west. If we decide that this wasn't such a bright idea the first time, we'll just ship the car back and fly home.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:11 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,816,321 times
^^I'd PAY to be you.^^
Enjoy your trip.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:14 AM

762 posts, read 1,562,724 times
There is nothing like a road trip, I traveled in a Van with a bunch of Hippies from CA to FL. It took us 2 weeks.
I want to drive to AK next, no one in my life right now will quit working long enough to do this. Responsible people
My daughter won't even do the 14 day Hawaii cruise because of work, her dad is dying and I will pay for him and his wife and my daughter.

Eagles:
So put me on a highway
And show me a sign
And take it to the limit one more time

You can spend all your time making money
You can spend all your love making time
If it all fell to pieces tomorrow
Would you still be mine?

I just want to know when do people start living life?

Old 07-21-2012, 08:15 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,024,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skisickie View Post
My daughter won't even do the 14 day Hawaii cruise because of work, her dad is dying and I will pay for him and his wife and my daughter.
That's a shame that she doesn't want to take a couple weeks out of her life to be with him, ski. I think that is something that she will live to regret. One of the reasons - in fact, the main reason - that we are spending three months in Miami is that I want to spend an extended period of time visiting my elderly parents because I realize that I'm not going to have them with me forever. My mother just turned 80 and my father will be 86 in a couple of months. Other than mobility problems, they're in pretty good health, but still.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by skisickie View Post
Eagles:
So put me on a highway
And show me a sign
And take it to the limit one more time

You can spend all your time making money
You can spend all your love making time
If it all fell to pieces tomorrow
Would you still be mine?

I just want to know when do people start living life?
Coincidentally, I was looking at a map the other day and noticed that we'd be driving through Winslow, Arizona. When I saw that, an Eagles song immediately popped into my head:

Eagles - Take It Easy (Live) - YouTube

Old 07-21-2012, 08:38 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,816,321 times
You can hang in a left or hang in a right
The choice it is yours to do as you might
The road is open wide to place your bidding
Now, wherever you turn, wherever you go
If you get it wrong, at least you can know
There's miles and miles to put it back together!
And I'm heading out to the highway...
-Judas Priest

Priest

Old 07-21-2012, 11:15 AM

762 posts, read 1,562,724 times
My company scheduled me off Fri, Sat, Sun, therefore planning a Jackson Hole trip
Now today they have mandatory hours on Sat and Sun
I hate working when they want, I want to work when I want.
Rats

Old 07-21-2012, 03:33 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,868,998 times
Here's a link for Elle Tea:

A plant on the front porch of a house spontaniously combusts to burn the house in Des Moines, Ia.

Dead Flower Spontaneously Combusts, Sparking House Fire

It really is very hot!!!

Old 07-21-2012, 03:37 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,868,998 times
Madman, I hope you are both up to par soon. We love road trips with no definate plans. Makes us feel like kids again (well, younger anyway,lol).

We don't drive for nearly as many hours a day as we used to and if weather isn't cooperating there is always tomorrow. Hope you have a great time. And yes, retirement is great. We will be back in Vegas in October!

Old 07-21-2012, 03:56 PM

328 posts, read 726,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
That's a shame that she doesn't want to take a couple weeks out of her life to be with him, ski. I think that is something that she will live to regret. One of the reasons - in fact, the main reason - that we are spending three months in Miami is that I want to spend an extended period of time visiting my elderly parents because I realize that I'm not going to have them with me forever. My mother just turned 80 and my father will be 86 in a couple of months. Other than mobility problems, they're in pretty good health, but still.....

Coincidentally, I was looking at a map the other day and noticed that we'd be driving through Winslow, Arizona. When I saw that, an Eagles song immediately popped into my head:

Eagles - Take It Easy (Live) - YouTube
All of the Eagles songs are good.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:14 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,298,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
Here's a link for Elle Tea:

A plant on the front porch of a house spontaniously combusts to burn the house in Des Moines, Ia.

Dead Flower Spontaneously Combusts, Sparking House Firey

It really is very hot!!!
That's crazy! !

Looks like we could hit 104 by Tuesday.

I was at the water park today and it was a bit cloudy and around 90. When i got out of the water though I was CHILLY. The humidity was only about 30% and it felt kinda cold. Weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas