Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2020, 07:39 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,826,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I will retract part of my earlier comments on excessive lockdowns, but not all the way. I think that 80% of Whitmer , Pritzker, Murphy, Lamont, Wolf and Cuomo did was good. Perhaps they should have locked down as far as what ultimately became (NY's) Phase 1. In other words left construction and curbside retail pickup open. Maybe we should have, in addition to "Phase 1" rules allowed offices and business to operate at 10-25% of capacity. Also, low impact sports such as tennis should have remained allowed. Trust me, if you get within six feet of me during a tennis game you have worse problems than coronoavirus transmission, from the swing of my racket. I think Whitmer's segmenting off "essential" and "non-essential" parts of the same store may have gone a bit far as well as her ban on "non-essential" travel, and visits to neighbors. And not personally violated their own orders.

I tentatively see the wisdom of some of the actions, even though my gut tells me that the disease crashes through an area pretty much regardless of what we do, does its damage and, like New York, leaves. I suspect in hindsight that will turn out to be the case but an executive does not have the benefit of hindsight.
Huh, they have hindsight, historical perspective and a host of "experts" at the ready. What seems to be lost these days are accountability and executive brain cells.

Old 06-26-2020, 08:26 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,889,107 times
https://i.redd.it/yqhg6e7hd5751.jpg

Old 06-26-2020, 09:27 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,256,608 times
Quote:
I will retract part of my earlier comments on excessive lockdowns, but not all the way. I think that 80% of Whitmer , Pritzker, Murphy, Lamont, Wolf and Cuomo did was good. Perhaps they should have locked down as far as what ultimately became (NY's) Phase 1. In other words left construction and curbside retail pickup open. Maybe we should have, in addition to "Phase 1" rules allowed offices and business to operate at 10-25% of capacity. Also, low impact sports such as tennis should have remained allowed. Trust me, if you get within six feet of me during a tennis game you have worse problems than coronoavirus transmission, from the swing of my racket. I think Whitmer's segmenting off "essential" and "non-essential" parts of the same store may have gone a bit far as well as her ban on "non-essential" travel, and visits to neighbors. And not personally violated their own orders.

I tentatively see the wisdom of some of the actions, even though my gut tells me that the disease crashes through an area pretty much regardless of what we do, does its damage and, like New York, leaves. I suspect in hindsight that will turn out to be the case but an executive does not have the benefit of hindsight.
I don't know why construction would have been shut down. In places like GA it wasn't. And curbside pickup for restaurants never ended either.

It's still too early in NY to see if it was the right approach. NY needs weeks of being mostly/completely open to determine if people are using the right behaviors still or if it all goes out the window.

Old 06-26-2020, 03:04 PM

3,526 posts, read 5,707,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I don't know why construction would have been shut down. In places like GA it wasn't. And curbside pickup for restaurants never ended either.

It's still too early in NY to see if it was the right approach. NY needs weeks of being mostly/completely open to determine if people are using the right behaviors still or if it all goes out the window.

Who know whats going in Cuomo;s mind.....

Old 06-26-2020, 03:17 PM

8,697 posts, read 11,087,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Who know whats going in Cuomo;s mind.....
he wants a bridge named after him

Old 06-26-2020, 04:41 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,889,107 times

Old 06-26-2020, 04:47 PM

13,078 posts, read 7,519,082 times
Because the Model has always assumed that social distancing, masks, etc were to be maintained.
A communications error from the scientists/health people, this Administration, and shortterm thinking of the general population. To be honest, they should have put in a notation and us a longer white board to signify the tail but space limitations allowed for just 6 months.
Americans just don't look to far into their future, 3-6 months tops.

Old 06-26-2020, 04:50 PM

35,081 posts, read 17,033,734 times
Quote:
Most "blue state" governors were treating this as an opportunity to wreak vengeance against a decadent, affluent culture that they dislike. This is apparently going to continue with an effort to wreck, err, re-imagine public schooling. I detected this punitive aspect with the decision to ban tennis. While tennis and construction were among the first to reopen this could only be seen as punitive. Georgia's was done more sensitively.

And one correction; curbside restaurant pickup was never curtailed; other retail was.
Quote:
I don't think it makes much difference. The riots and demonstrations are now a month into the past (Floyd's murder was, I believe, May 25, 2020) and no increase much less spike. I believe it's like SARS, which burned its way through affected populations; lots of deaths, no second wave.

Old 06-26-2020, 06:02 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,256,608 times
Quote:
Most "blue state" governors were treating this as an opportunity to wreak vengeance against a decadent, affluent culture that they dislike. This is apparently going to continue with an effort to wreck, err, re-imagine public schooling. I detected this punitive aspect with the decision to ban tennis. While tennis and construction were among the first to reopen this could only be seen as punitive. Georgia's was done more sensitively.

And one correction; curbside restaurant pickup was never curtailed; other retail was.
I don't think it makes much difference. The riots and demonstrations are now a month into the past (Floyd's murder was, I believe, May 25, 2020) and no increase much less spike. I believe it's like SARS, which burned its way through affected populations; lots of deaths, no second wave.
Georgia opened up bowling alleys first and there was national scorn. Then the numbers didn’t spike as everyone expected. They’re going up, but aren’t unmanageable yet.

Old 07-01-2020, 12:50 PM

874 posts, read 729,025 times
Quote:
Georgia opened up bowling alleys first and there was national scorn. Then the numbers didn’t spike as everyone expected. They’re going up, but aren’t unmanageable yet.

cases are going up but deaths are going down.

anyone can add more "cases"by typing in numbers in a computer, its the deaths that matter, if nobody is dying, then someone us lying.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island