Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2020, 12:34 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,521,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck biscuits View Post
Or, it's the actions of their OWN governors to re-institute lockdowns that says more than whatever Fox News farts out. Numbers don't need to cooperate when common sense is smacking you in the lungs. 3 lies: "lies, damned lies and statistics." (Twain or Disraeli). The many Covid threads on here should confirm that you don't have to look far to find a stat for every narrative.
If you have evidence that a local news channel Fox-affiliate (which is not the same as the cable Fox News Network) is spreading false information, I suggest that you call the quoted hospital and VA yourself and advise them of this libel - certainly they should at the very least demand a retraction. This is serious business!

Florida has not re-instituted lockdowns, they most they've done is hold back on opening bars. AFAIK just California has done that. Gov. Desantis has said that there will not be roll-backs. So, wrong on both counts bucko.

Old 07-14-2020, 03:20 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,225,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticpearl View Post
Death count hasn't plummeted. Over the last few days it is the highest it has been since around June 10.

Can you even follow the simplest of stats?
Can you? Because according to this link, directly from the CDC, there's been 181 deaths reported on July 11, as compared to 4617, on June 6. So... Tell me again how deaths aren't plummeting? Tell me again how this is not being blown completely out of proportion by the media? Tell me again how it's not being made to be worse than it is by screaming about the number of cases, rather than the number of deaths, like we'd been hearing for months?

The death count is so low now that it's no longer newsworthy, so now they talk about the number of cases with the same fervor they did with the number of deaths... When they're not even remotely close to being comparable.

Old 07-14-2020, 03:25 PM

680 posts, read 535,417 times
I work in a hospital. 2020 has been the easiest year ever. Normal has always been to be overwhelmed. This is nothing new, and fear keeps many people away, plus no visitors are allowed. I was getting burned out prior to 2020, but am getting better now. No overtime is allowed, and we use PTO when sent home early, due to lack of patient volume. It’s busier lately, but again, compared to what? It’s always been crazy.

Old 07-14-2020, 03:37 PM

226 posts, read 129,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
Can you? Because according to this link, directly from the CDC, there's been 181 deaths reported on July 11, as compared to 4617, on June 6. So... Tell me again how deaths aren't plummeting? Tell me again how this is not being blown completely out of proportion by the media? Tell me again how it's not being made to be worse than it is by screaming about the number of cases, rather than the number of deaths, like we'd been hearing for months?

The death count is so low now that it's no longer newsworthy, so now they talk about the number of cases with the same fervor they did with the number of deaths... When they're not even remotely close to being comparable.
You think 30+ days is "the last few days"?

Old 07-14-2020, 08:39 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,225,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renifer Erop View Post
You think 30+ days is "the last few days"?
The latest reported numbers came in on July 11th. It's July 14th. So yes, I would consider that " the last few days ". I'm not sure if you read my post wrong but I wasn't talking about 30 plus days except in relation to the guy I was replying to who mentioned something about reported numbers on June 10th.

Old 07-14-2020, 09:44 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,470,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post

First off deaths come after cases. The most recent surge in cases aren't really going to be reflected in the death counts for a few weeks. The surge in cases we initially saw a few weeks ago & has grown since it what is being reflected now.

Secondly, reading is fundamental. Deaths are going back up not down, certain stats aren't yet reporting on the CDC site, and this has been the case from the start and it is delayed there

From the CDC website

Note: Provisional death counts are based on death certificate data received and coded by the National Center for Health Statistics as of July 14, 2020. Death counts are delayed and may differ from other published sources (see Technical Notes). Counts will be updated periodically. Additional information will be added to this site as available.

Going by the 7 day average in deaths at various sources (Worldometers, NY Times, WAPO, John Hopkins) we saw a drop in deaths from the peak in mid to late April and dropped from early May through early July and has gone back up since and the 7 day average over the past couple days it at its highest level in about four weeks.

Old 07-15-2020, 12:01 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,845,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
https://www.fox35orlando.com/news/fo...vid-19-results

Holy moly, a 10x differential between actuals and what was reported? Uh, guys, that's not an error, that's a straight up fabrication. I mean, had the actual rate been 9.8%, at least they could have claimed that someone fat-fingered a decimal point. And it wasn't just one outlet that made this "error".

It this is happening in Florida, I suspect it's going on in Texas as well. The left desperately needs to prove that these Red State COVID-heritics are suffering for their impertinence. it is vital to their mental stability to be able to laugh and sneer at the rubes in the South who decided to experiment with human sacrifice by opening up before the gods of the CDC gave them leave to do so. But those damn numbers just won't cooperate!
Must be a covert operation of the Deep State because dedicated civil service workers never simply make mistakes. Like, who ever had a screw up at the DMV?

Old 07-15-2020, 05:13 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,409,206 times
The stupidity on the li forum is amazing. I come here to get a laugh.

Old 07-15-2020, 05:37 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,147,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Must be a covert operation of the Deep State because dedicated civil service workers never simply make mistakes. Like, who ever had a screw up at the DMV?
Those numbers weren’t a mistake they were a sign of either incompetence or stupidity.

Old 07-15-2020, 05:42 AM

5,057 posts, read 3,959,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
First off deaths come after cases. The most recent surge in cases aren't really going to be reflected in the death counts for a few weeks. The surge in cases we initially saw a few weeks ago & has grown since it what is being reflected now.

Secondly, reading is fundamental. Deaths are going back up not down, certain stats aren't yet reporting on the CDC site, and this has been the case from the start and it is delayed there
No doubt there are more cases elsewhere and one would assume, deaths are and will be increasing in states like California and Florida. Both have equal or greater populations than NY, both have large city areas with high density, and Florida (especially) has a very significant elderly population.

We have learned that it is not primarily the number of cases that determines the death number, it is who has the virus. Those states and others can learn from NY's missteps in this regard - and focus protective efforts on the most vulnerable.

It is also true that with increased testing there will doubtlessly be more cases (this is not saying all case increases are due to increased testing).

It is also true we are starting to get a more accurate view (finally) of the mortality rate of the virus given increased testing. Florida reports about 300,000 positive tests and 4400 deaths - and that obviously misses many infected and asymptomatic/mildly symptomatic folks.

I am certain all Americans are concerned with the situation in California, Florida, etc. but the idea that we'll see New York-style death numbers (notwithstanding equal or much greater populations in those two states) remains to be seen.

Last edited by Quick Commenter; 07-15-2020 at 05:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island