U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-01-2007, 09:37 PM
 
2,024 posts, read 3,840,924 times
Reputation: 597

Advertisements

I think most every city in California hates Los Angeles. I am from Bakersfield (which should be avoided like the plague by the way) but L.A. bullies us quite often. Firstly, all of the smog from L.A. gets trapped in the valley and can't escape the mountains which is why the central valley has some of the worst air in the country. Granted, there isn't too much L.A. can do about the amount of smog but it doesn't seem as though they are making an effort to reduce it. Also, when Bakersfield residents were informed that L.A. legally dumped sludge within our city limits, we voted to disallow this practice. Then L.A. sued us and I think it's still being fought out in the courts. But that stupid Antonio Villaraigrosa had the nerve to tell us we couldn't refuse the sludge while he was busy banging his little reporter girlfriend behind his wife's back. All I can say is that San Diego can only feel the exact same way Bakersfield does, that L.A. is way too full of itself and likes to throw its weight around if things don't go its way. Of course, someday I might well live in L.A. but for the time being I feel quite secure insulting it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-11-2007, 03:12 AM
 
47 posts, read 156,220 times
Reputation: 21
San Diego is conservative and racist, but cheaper than LA. I always thought it was interesting that despite its proximity to the border, it is not the slum that is Los Angeles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2007, 10:17 AM
 
Location: Earth
17,444 posts, read 24,731,262 times
Reputation: 7322
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
All of CA hates one city in particular-LA. But then, when it comes to NorCal and SoCal, people SF people always group LA and SD together, so Angelenos reluctantly have to stick up for SD since we always end up being in the same category.
That's not my experience. I've often observed SF and SD people siding together to bash LA. The only exception is in the gang subculture.
I don't think SF really cares about SD too much. It's more of an "enemy of my enemy is my friend" type deal. (OTOH, SF people do often say in regard to baseball that they don't care about the American League at all - I was shocked by the indifference towards the Red Sox/Indians championship series in SF...)

LA generally doesn't care about SF or SD that much at all, the amount of anti-SF or anti-SD sentiment in LA is pretty small whereas anti-LA sentiment is strong in SF (especially) and SD. Anti-OC sentiment, OTOH, is pretty big in LA, but there isnt really too much bashing of anywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2007, 10:18 AM
 
Location: Earth
17,444 posts, read 24,731,262 times
Reputation: 7322
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanigirl View Post
San Diego is conservative and racist, but cheaper than LA. I always thought it was interesting that despite its proximity to the border, it is not the slum that is Los Angeles.
You obviously didn't see certain parts of San Diego...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2007, 10:43 AM
 
186 posts, read 600,855 times
Reputation: 90
Default SD - fun to visit

I think most angelenos think SD is a great weekend trip or a great place to go to college. I never hear of anyone wishing they could live there, basically because the job market seems to be better in LA. We drive through north SD county and wonder where everyone works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2007, 10:48 AM
 
240 posts, read 826,265 times
Reputation: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanigirl View Post
San Diego is conservative and racist
Do you have any evidence to back up your argument?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2007, 02:00 AM
 
Location: Earth
17,444 posts, read 24,731,262 times
Reputation: 7322
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMark View Post
Do you have any evidence to back up your argument?
SD was solidly Republican for a long time, it's now better described as "purple" but the GOP political machine is still in control (probably not for much longer).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2007, 04:25 PM
 
47 posts, read 156,220 times
Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMark View Post
Do you have any evidence to back up your argument?
Plenty...got lots of stories..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2007, 08:04 PM
 
240 posts, read 826,265 times
Reputation: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanigirl View Post
Plenty...got lots of stories..
Wow, well, you certainly put an end to that question. Brilliant debating technique. You're a genius.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2007, 08:17 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles-213.323.310.818/San Diego-619.858.760
705 posts, read 3,084,732 times
Reputation: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelkyleh View Post
They think that Los Angeles is a disgusting ghetto.
I thought this summed up San Diego very accurately. From user SEAandATL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Imo (San Diego), it's the most overrated city I've ever been to. Sure the weather is nice like L.A., but that's all it really has going for it. If you like to surf and enjoy water activities, than San Diego might be for you. If you like an urban/big city vibe, San Diego is not for you. It has more of a laid-back suburban cookie-cutter atmosphere everywhere you go, which has it's disadvantages. I personally think it's a boring and uneventful city which is why I prefer L.A. over S.D. The cost of living is too high and I don't think it's worth it, and the traffic is bad but not as bad as L.A. One plus about San Diego is that it's one of the safest cities in the United States, but all the other West Coast cities are pretty safe (except for Oakland).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top