Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 08:43 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,612,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Firstly, all of the smog from L.A. gets trapped in the valley and can't escape the mountains which is why the central valley has some of the worst air in the country
You are looking in the wrong direction. Your smog is from the Bay Area on afternoon wind down the valley to Bakersfield. The mountains between LA & the San Joaquin valley plus the prevailing west wind prevent the air over the South Coast Air Basin from invading Bakersfield. Palm Springs gets LA's poison

I quess it has been already articulated but San Diego county [along with Orange county] is a Republican stronghold in California & definately out of sync with the rest of the state. The recent fires over the past few years in San Diego co. were much worst than they should have been because the good citizens didn't want the extra expense of a county-wide fire dept [unlike LA, San Francisco & most of the state who devote much money to battle fires.

"Santa ana" winds are much stronger in Los Angeles [ & why fire is a big concern.

Like everyone says Los Angeles is excitement while San Diego is slower paced. Like San Diego, the surfer/laid back scene prevails along Santa Monica bay [Hermosa/Redondo/Manhattan/Malibu]. I love the great palm trees that grow around San Diego & the zoo/Balboa Pk.

Also, no one bashes other cities in LA [unless it is sports]. Many Angelenos don't even leave on vacations. It funny because in New York [the primary US city] people talk about how bad it is in LA, but you never hear LA folks talk negatively about NYC.

Last edited by happ; 03-26-2008 at 09:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 09:40 PM

23 posts, read 243,498 times
Hmmm.....I don't know that I've ever heard anyone bash San Diego. Where I live we like to pick on Orange County and the Inland Empire

Honestly, I've heard more nasty talk about Irvine in the 12 years I've lived here than I have ever heard about San Diego (or New York).

The NorCal/SoCal rivalry is real, though. It's not so much a San Francisco/LA thing as it is a difference (or a perception of a difference) in the types of people that live in each place. You know, everyone in SoCal has had plastic surgery, and everyone in NorCal is a granola-eating tree hugger. Hmmm.....by that stereotype, I'm living in the wrong place.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:16 PM

21 posts, read 90,891 times
I love San Diego! I get sick of L.A. all the time now, so I could see myself ending up in SD instead...

Old 03-26-2008, 11:29 PM

342 posts, read 1,927,196 times
I like both SD and LA but SD is 1000 times prettier than LA. LA is flat, treeless, and covered with concrete. San Diego is hilly almost everywhere, has lots of open space with trees, and isn't wall to wall concrete. If you want culture and sophistication go to LA. If you want beautiful and relaxing go to SD. And most Bay Area people love SD and hate LA.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:11 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,612,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by califantastic View Post
I like both SD and LA but SD is 1000 times prettier than LA. LA is flat, treeless, and covered with concrete. San Diego is hilly almost everywhere, has lots of open space with trees, and isn't wall to wall concrete. If you want culture and sophistication go to LA. If you want beautiful and relaxing go to SD. And most Bay Area people love SD and hate LA.
LA is flat? duh! A major mountain range [Santa Monica] cuts right thru Los Angeles & the foothills are higher/steeper & much more numerous in LA than San Diego. Also the 8000'+ San Gabriel Mts surround Los Angeles on the north & east [the much lower coastal mts east of San Diego don't have nearly the beauty]. The Los Angeles basin is surrounded by mountains. San Diego has nothing compared to the Hollywood Hills/Malibu/Palos Verdes in height. The only hills in San Diego are low & are restricted to areas east of downtown & towards La Jolla.

Trees are harder to count but San Diego certainly doesn't seem any more forested than Los Angeles.

Old 03-27-2008, 01:55 PM

342 posts, read 1,927,196 times
Drive from downtown LA to Irvine on the 5. There is not a single hill. Drive from downtown LA to Santa Monica on the 10. There is not a single hill. You could fit 15 San Diegos in the enormous flat LA basin. 90% of the people in LA live where it is flat. If you take away SFV it is more like 95%. Last time I checked there were some very nice hills in Rancho Santa Fe, El Cajon and Escondido. I love LA. Just don't try to tell me that a 90% flat city is hilly.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:03 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,201,982 times
I lived on or near 2 hills in coastal LA. However, because I like to walk a lot and ride my bicycle as much as possible I prefer a flat geography. However, I think your way off in your statements about LA and hills. Don't forget about the Palos Verdes peninsula, Baldwin Hills, Westchester Bluffs, coastal South Bay, Rose Hills, San Gabriel foothills, I could keep going. It's not as hilly as SD of course, but I as well as many others probably prefer the fact that LA is "relatively flat".

Old 03-27-2008, 02:30 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,668,019 times
and dont forget the hills on the east side. el sereno, montecito, boyle heights.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:13 PM

493 posts, read 637,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
You are looking in the wrong direction. Your smog is from the Bay Area on afternoon wind down the valley to Bakersfield. The mountains between LA & the San Joaquin valley plus the prevailing west wind prevent the air over the South Coast Air Basin from invading Bakersfield. Palm Springs gets LA's poison

I quess it has been already articulated but San Diego county [along with Orange county] is a Republican stronghold in California & definately out of sync with the rest of the state. The recent fires over the past few years in San Diego co. were much worst than they should have been because the good citizens didn't want the extra expense of a county-wide fire dept [unlike LA, San Francisco & most of the state who devote much money to battle fires.

"Santa ana" winds are much stronger in Los Angeles [ & why fire is a big concern.

Like everyone says Los Angeles is excitement while San Diego is slower paced. Like San Diego, the surfer/laid back scene prevails along Santa Monica bay [Hermosa/Redondo/Manhattan/Malibu]. I love the great palm trees that grow around San Diego & the zoo/Balboa Pk.

Also, no one bashes other cities in LA [unless it is sports]. Many Angelenos don't even leave on vacations. It funny because in New York [the primary US city] people talk about how bad it is in LA, but you never hear LA folks talk negatively about NYC.
San Diego is a moderate democrat city...the county is voted slightly for bush...(there is a large military base north of the city and the suburbs are pretty right leaning)...how is it out of sync with california?...sf is far more liberal than la and sd and la both have their yuppie crowds...orange county has consistently voted republican (president) since 1936; however, the oc conservatism could never match the southern and midwest type of conservatism...nobody in texas cites austin as being out of step with the rest of texas(even though it votes democratic, whereas the rest of the state usually votes republican)...I don't know how anyone could say sd is out of sync with california...every california city has its pros and cons...just like any city in the nation

Old 03-27-2008, 10:46 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,353,738 times
Don't even try to say that LA is flat. All of the South Bay, LAX, Westchester, Playa del Rey, Santa Monica cliffs, SaMo mountains, PV, parts of Long Beach, all of SFV except central, southern SGV, SCV, pretty much all of OC, large portions of the IE. The only flat parts are a few in the basin, central SFV, easter SGV, Lancaster/Palmdale, and parts of the IE. Oh, and the Angeles National Forest? Please...that has tons of forests and mountains. Even San Diegans come up to LA in the winter to go skiing and snowboarding. We have lakes in our mountains, large pine forests, much more snow in the mnts. than SD, and ski resorts. The SaMo Mnts. are quite large and have tons of hiking trails and parks. We have tons of more mountain ranges than SD. We have more varied climates. Los Angeles has much more to do. Personally, I like LA better because I'm Jewish and Democrat so I fit in better. However, I may side with McCain because he will be harsh on illegals in this country. If he didn't want the war, he would definitely be my favorite candidate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles