Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 05:38 AM

21 posts, read 33,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnellpuma View Post
I'm an Angeleno, been down here in SD 3.5 years with my partner and we absolutely can't stand it. Used to run down here in my late teens, thought it was great. Living here is certainly very different. Funny thing is SD is actually not laid back at all...its residents strive to portray this image. The driving here is ridiculous, very impatient, people will gladly run you off the road. In fact, people steer their shopping carts much the way they drive their vehicles...up your arse. A couple of times, I had enough and would say hey man! Can I use some space? Oh the responses, good grief. A lot of rage on behalf of people here...say anything they don't like, and the responses are quite disproportionate to the initial comment. They take things to the extreme. Also didn't realize how conservative it is here. Found city-data very useful in helping to understand why SD is the way it is.

Bottom line is, I crave diversity and a sense of community. I don't know how many times I've seen accidents, someone needing help, etc. and no one does anything but stare. Small example here - one of our neighbors was being brutally attacked on the street, saw it right through my window, ran out there to help, people did nothing! The dude fled right past 3 grown men who just watched him run by. Ran a mile and a half to help PD chase the dude down. People think I'm crazy, you know what I think is crazy? No one helping each other. A lot of opinions about LA are that it's cold, and everyone is out for themselves. They couldn't be more wrong.

It's really nice to read what you wrote about LA, it sure is how we feel. I've actually had a car vandalized more than once, nasty notes, all because of an LA decal on the back of our car.

I know he's no longer on here, but the posts Funkymonk used to write about his view of SD are right on cue.

Ready to go home to LA, that's for sure!!!

OOPS sorry john, didn't realize you weren't fairweathergolfer 'til now, either way agree w/ the population point of view. sooooo small town!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 09:32 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,175,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by califantastic View Post
I like both SD and LA but SD is 1000 times prettier than LA. LA is flat, treeless, and covered with concrete. San Diego is hilly almost everywhere, has lots of open space with trees, and isn't wall to wall concrete. If you want culture and sophistication go to LA. If you want beautiful and relaxing go to SD. And most Bay Area people love SD and hate LA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcerer68 View Post
This is a city vs. suburbs argument. To me, San Diego is a suburb...or feels like suburbia even though technically it's not

. I enjoy visiting the Hotel Del Coronado but that's about it. Too sleepy for me. Gaslight is pretty but doesn't have much going on and is rolled up pretty early.

The people who like SD are usually from smaller places.

I'm glad it's there for those who love it.
WOW! there are a lot of haters in this thread!

1st of all, I don't hate L.A. It's just way too big, crowded, concrete, too much traffic,smoggy.

2nd of all, SAN DIEGO IS NOT A SUBURB. That is the stupidist thing I have read in a long time. It is it's own unique place.

3rd, It is so ridiculous to compare SD to LA. LA has a much larger population. So what if San Diegans think it's paradise? I think it is too. It IS much prettier than L.A.
L.A. is a concrete jungle with wall to wall concrete.
SD has a real back country.
The county planners have a plan to keep the growing along the urban areas because they want the backcountry to stay like that and not become L.A.
We aren't intimidated or afraid of L.A., we just prefer San Diego.
I was born and raised here and I like L.A.
These posts are so off the wall.
San Diego is diversifying at a rapid pace.
There is culture here but it's not in your face like L.A.

San Diego is a great place to raise a family. I would never raise a family in L.A.

I know a few Angelinos who actually moved to San Diego because they got so tired of L.A.
They said the people up there were rude, traffic was too much, and it was going downhill fast.

It seems to me that people in this thread are talkign a lot more trash about L.A. than anyone in San Diego.

FYI, a lot of people all over the country prefer SD over L.A.

If you come from Boston or NYC, then you will like L.A. more because it's freaking massive. but not everyone has to like L.A.

You people have your heads shoved so far up your butts.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:57 AM

32 posts, read 80,704 times
San Diego is a pretty nice place for a visit but I wouldn't want to live there.

L.A. is so diverse in its land/cityscapes that there is no such thing as "all of L.A.".

We do have the better weather.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:32 AM

304 posts, read 931,528 times
San Diego is in a pretty location, but the conservative leadership there has caused problems. The county refused to adequately fund the county fire services. The October 2007 fire caused the biggest evacuation second only to Hurricane Katrina. Sluggish response times are tied to not enough tax revenue to handle things and an overall philosophy that in times of stress you are totally on your own.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:15 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
I'm not a native Angeleno (and not even a current resident!) so I don't know if my opinion really "counts" for this, but I never hated San Diego; I have relatives there and I always enjoyed visiting, but ultimately it didn't feel as exciting or vibrant as Los Angeles. I prefer LA, but San Diego made a wonderful weekend vacation spot!

Old 01-24-2011, 11:18 AM

1,369 posts, read 3,310,714 times
I think San Diego is a great place to go on vacation for a long weekend, a great place to visit.

I also think it's a pretty good place to live if you never need to worry about finding a job.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:43 AM

9 posts, read 44,856 times
Of course LA residents think their city is better and SD residents think their city is superior-that's why you live in the city you do people! Go to NYC, Boston, Houston it's all the same-our city rocks, yours sucks!
I'm from Australia and have only lived in LA & SD since moving to the States, 6 years in LA 2.5 in SD. Both are great it just depends on what you want. Before I got married & had kids I would never have dreamed of leaving LA. For a girl straight out of college LA is fantastic, super fun with heaps to do-I thought I'd never leave! Having a family changed my perspective, I just didn't want to bring my girls up in that environment. Also LA really isn't cultured, go to NYC and ask them if LA has any culture and they'll just laugh. When I want culture I'll be taking my girls on trips to NY not LA. The desperation and "wanna be" mentality that permeates everything in LA is not something that I want my kids growing up around. Do I miss it, absolutely-I'll always love LA and if I didn't have kids I would still be there. As for sheer beauty SD beats LA hands down. LA has some very beautiful areas but let's be honest most of the city is not pretty, where as SD is very beautiful. The best thing (for me) about SD is it's a great place to raise kids! However I understand LA thinking it's better than SD-after all that was me just 2 years ago

Old 01-28-2011, 06:50 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
When I lived in LA, my friends and I would go down to San Diego every 2-3 months or so to visit friends. Its a really fun town. Despite all there is to do in LA, its a different vibe in San Diego and its nice to experiance that once and a while. My friends shared the same opinion as I did.

As a whole, I always felt that LA looked at San Diego as a little brother. There was some rivalry, but it didnt seem to be mean spirited the way some cities can be. In reality (as in not on CD) Californians tend to appriciate each others cities pretty well. LA and San Diego are both great cities, they are just different and I think people in LA appriciate that for the most part.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:47 PM

95 posts, read 384,821 times
People in LA used to call San Diego sleepy town, not sure if they say that anymore though.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:54 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,175,796 times
People in San Diego still have nick names for L.A. too

"Smell A"

"toilet bowl"

"giant ghetto"

San Diego is doing a lot of things right if the only way people can bash it is by comparing it to places like NYC and L.A. which are a lot bigger than SD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles