Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 11:42 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,356,034 times

Advertisements

Greater Los Angeles- 18 million+

Los Angeles- 13 million+

San Diego- 3 million+

San Francisco- 4 million+

Bay Area- 8 million+
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 11:10 AM

1 posts, read 2,348 times
I live in L.A. and aside all the fakeness and wanna be actress...and failed...
I am ready for a new beautiful city, less crwoded and less crime...

Old 02-26-2008, 11:23 AM

216 posts, read 698,580 times
i have lived in la county and visited sd frequently.. great place to vacation san diego. imo the mass trans far exceeds la's...and some of the downtown areas of san diego are quite inviting...even to a country girl like me...that aside...when we were evacuated for the old fire in the ie, we went to san diego....try to get la information from san diegans....i came out of the experience thinking san diegans (their news peeps anyhoo) are very selfish. we had to keep in constant contact with friends via cell phone to see if our house had burned and if anyone was allowed back home. no news at all from san diego tv stations. on the other hand, la stations were reporting their fire in ramona and julian on a regular basis...hmmm

Old 02-26-2008, 02:32 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,731,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I was just curious. People down in San Diego talk a lot of trash about L.A. saying that it's too ghetto, dirty, smoggy, crowded, etc. and think San Diego is just this great paradise where everything is perfect. I was wondering is there a 2-way rivalry going on between L.A. and San Diego? I've known some people from L.A. who like San Diego. Me personally, I'm from out of state and I like L.A. a lot better overall. I think it's one of the most exciting cities I've ever been to being a world class city and having Hollywood, and San Diego is just too boring and slow for me.
I love San Diego. At least the parts I've visited. To an inner-city L.A. resident, San Diego might seem like a perfect little paradise. Quiet as it's kept, there are slum and ghetto areas in San Diego. Not everyone makes six figures there and sports a perfect tan.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:43 PM

106 posts, read 433,740 times
Interesting posts, people. I have an opportunity to work in either city and have a sister living in SD (8yrs) who lived in LA (5yrs) whom has given me greater understanding of SoCal over the years. I completely understand the 'LA vortex/LA burnout' through this post, her, and extended visits. I cannot help but think that LA is more like a temporary younger persons fix. How many people originally from other states actually live out the remainder of their lives in LA - long term (I am 40 and single)? Also, how bad is LA smog, really?
Thanks.

Last edited by Miami_Dan; 03-26-2008 at 12:54 PM..

Old 03-26-2008, 12:50 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,203,668 times
I live in LA and visit SD every couple of months or so, my parents have a place right in the heart of downtown. I really like it there, just wish there were more jobs. It's similar to LA, but also very different, not nearly as cosmopolitan, which some people may or may not prefer.

As for LA smog, it really depends on where your at in the region. Coastal areas are not that bad, but the farther inland you go getting nearer to the mountain ranges, the worse it gets. I went to high school in what is called the Inland Empire, and although it was smoggy I never had any health issues arise because of it. Also, the smog has really gotten better than it used to be. My dad remembers regular smog alerts when he was growing up where the kids weren't allowed to play outside. These alerts are extremely few and far between now. However, some people with asthma may still have some problems with our air.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:12 PM

106 posts, read 433,740 times
More Facts, not speculation, please. Here it is:

Races in San Diego, CA:
• White Non-Hispanic (49.4%)
• Hispanic (25.4%)
• Other race (12.4%)
• Black (7.9%)
• Filipino (6.1%)
• Two or more races (4.8%)
• Vietnamese (2.2%)
• Chinese (1.9%)
• Other Asian (1.5%)
• American Indian (1.3%)
• Japanese (0.8%)
• Korean (0.6%)
• Asian Indian (0.6%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)

Races in Los Angeles, CA:
• Hispanic (46.5%)
• White Non-Hispanic (29.7%)
• Other race (25.7%)
• Black (11.2%)
• Two or more races (5.2%)
• Filipino (2.7%)
• Korean (2.5%)
• Chinese (1.7%)
• American Indian (1.4%)
• Japanese (1.0%)
• Other Asian (0.9%)
• Asian Indian (0.7%)
• Vietnamese (0.5%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)

Races in New York, NY:
• White Non-Hispanic (35.0%)
• Hispanic (27.0%)
• Black (26.6%)
• Other race (13.4%)
• Two or more races (4.9%)
• Chinese (4.5%)
• Asian Indian (2.1%)
• American Indian (1.1%)
• Korean (1.1%)
• Other Asian (1.0%)
• Filipino (0.7%)

Old 03-26-2008, 05:07 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,669,044 times
what do i think of SD? i dont. really i dont. who does? aside from passing thru on my way to mexico i have limited experience on SD. who spends time thinking about other cities anywyas? maybe if you are unhappy or one day see yourself living there. i used to think about chicago when i lived in frisco because i always wanted to live where it was windy, but then i committed myself to home and family in LA and now dont even think about many other places. i am happy where i am and thats what i spend my time thinking about.
i occasionally have been to SD, to the wildlife park, sea world, hillcrest and downtown. maybe two trips total, but seriously i dont think about it. other than to remember that as the place my homeboy got stabbed when we visited!!! seriously, he deserved it. had his pocket book hanging out his back pocket like that. dressed all flashy in the hood. of course they were gunna jack him. we ran after tha goon and tha goon turned around to stab my friend who was the closest. maybe thats not a funny story, but you cant be dumb like that. anyhow i give little thought to SD other than to reminisce. my friend was fine, only got stuck in the arm and hand a couple times. he turned white as a ghost man, but after the hosp. we ended up leaving SD and hoping over to TJ to drink our stabbings away.

and all that rivalry stuff is lame. i like the teams i do and you like the teams you do. but i will tell you this, i will pick any Cali team in a final over any other team... well i might not admit to rooting for the Giants, but having lived there for a while i did enjoy candlestick and pac bell/att/generic name.com park, enough to have a special place for them in my heart, but shush dont tell tommy and the gang.
SD is great but it is a lay over on the way to MX for me. possibley a place to see lions roam "free", other than that nothing really call my attention. i think now is the most time i have invested in SD in all my life. thanks guys, really thanks.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:23 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,237,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I was just curious. People down in San Diego talk a lot of trash about L.A. saying that it's too ghetto, dirty, smoggy, crowded, etc. and think San Diego is just this great paradise where everything is perfect. I was wondering is there a 2-way rivalry going on between L.A. and San Diego? I've known some people from L.A. who like San Diego. Me personally, I'm from out of state and I like L.A. a lot better overall. I think it's one of the most exciting cities I've ever been to being a world class city and having Hollywood, and San Diego is just too boring and slow for me.
I don't think about it, to be honest. Nothing against it, mind you. It seems alittle stale to me, but then again I have really only been to Sea World, Old Towne and that historic park area (what is it called...?!), which is actually very nice. The trainride is pleasant.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:33 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,146,031 times
I live in the middle, between the two, and people in these suburbs tend to like one over the other too. I prefer LA, but many prefer SD. A lot of it has to do with where they came from and what they know better. My family is from LA, so I am just more drawn to it. SD is very pretty, but to me, it just doesn't seem like a big city in the way LA does.
I don't understand rivalries though....cities are different and they suit different people & there's nothing wrong with that.
I notice a funny trend though:
-The world "hates" the US
-People in the US "hate" California
-People in Cali "hate" Los Angeles
I think part of it has to do with a resentment of how influential the culture has been compared to their own. They subconsciously eat it up & like it, but outwardly they must be critical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles