Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 04:30 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,755,010 times

Advertisements

I just use WASP as what it means..
White Anglo-Saxon Protestants. Its just a blanket term for the white upper class.

I was saying the reason San Diego seems to be a republican stonghold is because of the large presence of MILITARY and upper class white folk(wasp) who tend to vote republican.
I don't see how thats any more offensive than someone using the blanket term "illegal" for mexicans.

But if you think I meant to offend on some reverse racism ****, I apologize......
I was more defending San Diego from beign perceived as a good ol' boys type of town. Its actually a cool place for the most part.

But curious, how are things going to "change"? That sounded pretty prophetic, and I'm wondering if I should be scared and start packing the cellar with food or something....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 11:37 AM

38 posts, read 183,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerodam12 View Post
I agree with you san diego is nice and all but overall L.A. beets all.
LA beets all?

http://gernius1.com/images/beet.jpg

Old 04-08-2008, 11:52 AM

396 posts, read 1,724,453 times
i like san diego, went these over the weekend to check out the zoo. nice, but expensive.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:52 PM

153 posts, read 565,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
I live in San Diego, and I think most SD'ers are just intimidated by LA, it's size, it's population. SD is still a small town in a lot of ways and a lot of people have a small-town mentality. How can you not like LA? It's got everything!
SD, population 1,223,000 is a small town? Wow, these small towns keep getting bigger and bigger.

Old 05-17-2008, 12:01 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,356,034 times
They did say in a lot ways, but did not mention population. I believe the metro has close to 5mil or more. However, the city is one of the most laid back cities for its size, maybe the most laid back compared to other cities of comparable size. The only thing that makes it seem like a big city is the traffic and maybe...just maybe...the downtown area.

Old 05-17-2008, 04:18 PM

810 posts, read 2,163,027 times
sd metro is about 3 million, that is the MSA. LA's MSA I believe is about 13 mil. That's LA+OC counties I believe. of course there is greater LA. I'm from Bmore area and it has about 2.6 mil (that is the MSA). that's about #20 in the US. I bet SD is around 15. well 17 as of 2007.
LA CSA is nearly 18 mil.

United States metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Table of United States Combined Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-15-2008, 02:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,003 times
It's so funny hearing people talk about how incredibly "laid back" San Diego when in reality it is the complete opposite. Yeah, compared to LA it is probably laid back. I moved to San Diego over two years ago from Modesto (Central California) and I think the people here drive like they are rushing to brain surgery. Under any circumstances, the person getting off the ramp and onto the freeway to merge in front of you just HAS to get at least one car length ahead of you otherwise the guy would probably have a heart attack. Try backing out of a parking spot; $2000 says the guy driving through the parking lot will zoom around you as quick as possible, God forbid he would have to wait 4 or 5 seconds. I love my city, but it irritates me when I hear someone say that it is laid back because it is far from it. I guess LA isn't my kind of city, but it does have some perks...

Old 06-29-2008, 12:04 AM

216 posts, read 698,580 times
Default hallow

all of so cal drives like its trying to meet a deadline.....thats so cal. anyhoo, i think the jest of the thread was, what do angelinos think of san diego? i think so cal is a fantastic area., i think imho, that it is soooo very gorgeous in climate that there are just too many peeps. hence , the driving to a deadline. maybe if cali put some speed limits or photo enforcements on their freeways, things mite be a lil bit more easy going????i don't know...i do kn0ow that californians (me being one of them) think their s...t don't stink, they can drive as fast as they can, and be 2 inches from the car in front of them and talk on their cell phone (maybe even text), and dangit, theya re gonna do it.....
but i do di gress....as a former 909er, i loved san diego, specially old town, the hacienda hotel, right out of old town, ya, thats what its all aboot. heres to you, so cal, gotta love ya

Old 06-29-2008, 12:51 AM

56 posts, read 222,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
I think most every city in California hates Los Angeles. I am from Bakersfield (which should be avoided like the plague by the way) but L.A. bullies us quite often. Firstly, all of the smog from L.A. gets trapped in the valley and can't escape the mountains which is why the central valley has some of the worst air in the country. Granted, there isn't too much L.A. can do about the amount of smog but it doesn't seem as though they are making an effort to reduce it. Also, when Bakersfield residents were informed that L.A. legally dumped sludge within our city limits, we voted to disallow this practice. Then L.A. sued us and I think it's still being fought out in the courts. But that stupid Antonio Villaraigrosa had the nerve to tell us we couldn't refuse the sludge while he was busy banging his little reporter girlfriend behind his wife's back. All I can say is that San Diego can only feel the exact same way Bakersfield does, that L.A. is way too full of itself and likes to throw its weight around if things don't go its way. Of course, someday I might well live in L.A. but for the time being I feel quite secure insulting it.
Although I understand that it may be popular to think otherwise, LA smog doesn't pollute the Central Valley. If you drive to Santa Clarita, you'll notice beautiful clear air. It can't get over Tejon pass -- the smog particles are too heavy to make it over a 4,000 foot pass, not to mention the wind would drive it towards Fillmore. In fact, it's pretty clear even in the Santa Clarita Valley itself. If the smog was coming from LA to Bakersfield, Santa Clarita and of course the pass would be just as smoggy. It's not, as smog tends to stay low to the ground. There is a lot of heavy industrial equipment processing all of the foods grown in the Central Valley, and that makes a lot of pollution.

Secondly, that was an independent recycling company, having nothing to do with the city, who is investigating it for illegally dumping in Long Beach and Riverside as well. And it is accused of dumping plastic in the Mojave desert, not sludge in Bakersfield.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:22 PM

10 posts, read 50,062 times
We grew up on Los Angeles burbs. Love being FROM there. The air is cleaner here, not even close to the crazy driving on all streets and freeways in Los Angeles. We have plenty of culture and great eats here. We're a city that still thinks we're a small town. When we feel we need a fix of anything more, we can drive up to LA. Stay down here, where everything's not so frantic.

So much of LA has changed since we lived there, too. We love living here in the San Diego hill country. As far as LA? keep it. we'll visit ya now and then. dump some moolah in your pockets, and get back here to clean, laid back San Diego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles