Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2023, 09:17 PM

3,584 posts, read 1,816,957 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any recent experiences with bad neighbors who don't take care of their property? I recently contacted my town board of health agent who did a drive by of neighboring property (overgrown, grass hasn't been mowed since last July as in July '22!, weeds, vegetation galore, think Jumanji jungle style!) Result was they can write a letter but can't 'force' them to mow. Anyone have any experience with this and how you handled it? I'm at my wits end. It's nasty, depressing to look at and not to mention fall is coming so I don't want to be dealing with an influx of mice from over there. Plus this could be negatively impacting my property value at this point. Before the naysayers jump in and say thank goodness I live in the country and have no neighbors, how dare people tell me how to live etc., etc. Well folks, when your living style negatively impacts others, it's a problemo. If you are in the country and don't mow and have no neighbors you could be impacting...all the power to ya. And no, these people are not elderly or disabled either....able bodied, thirty something year olds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2023, 09:26 PM

23,565 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
Anyone have any recent experiences with bad neighbors who don't take care of their property? I recently contacted my town board of health agent who did a drive by of neighboring property (overgrown, grass hasn't been mowed since last July as in July '22!, weeds, vegetation galore, think Jumanji jungle style!) Result was they can write a letter but can't 'force' them to mow. Anyone have any experience with this and how you handled it? I'm at my wits end. It's nasty, depressing to look at and not to mention fall is coming so I don't want to be dealing with an influx of mice from over there. Plus this could be negatively impacting my property value at this point. Before the naysayers jump in and say thank goodness I live in the country and have no neighbors, how dare people tell me how to live etc., etc. Well folks, when your living style negatively impacts others, it's a problemo. If you are in the country and don't mow and have no neighbors you could be impacting...all the power to ya. And no, these people are not elderly or disabled either....able bodied, thirty something year olds.

Start with a giant "Mow me because we here are dirty lazy bums!" sign at your property boundary with the arrow pointing towards theirs.

Old 08-27-2023, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Start with a giant "Mow me because we here are dirty lazy bums!" sign at your property boundary with the arrow pointing towards theirs.
I'll try anything at this point....that'll get a chuckle from everyone driving by...will it be enough to shame these lazy sobs into cleaning up?! I think not seeing as their last mow was over a year ago.

Old 08-28-2023, 06:29 AM

9,068 posts, read 6,300,219 times
Quote:
What about those people on Youtube that go around and mow unkempt yards at no cost to the homeowners?

https://www.youtube.com/@LawnCareJuggernaut

https://www.youtube.com/@Something2LookAt

https://www.youtube.com/@TopNotchLawns

Old 08-28-2023, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
What about those people on Youtube that go around and mow unkempt yards at no cost to the homeowners?

https://www.youtube.com/@LawnCareJuggernaut

https://www.youtube.com/@Something2LookAt

https://www.youtube.com/@TopNotchLawns
That would be awesome! I don't know what's wrong with these people but talk about having no courtesy for their neighbors. I am hoping the letter that the board of health agent writes gets them to do something but who knows. I know I'd be embarrassed if I got a letter from my BOH agent explaining why it's important to keep vegetation mowed to help keep mice activity down. What should be common sense ain't so common to a lot of people!

Old 08-28-2023, 07:28 AM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
Quote:
You could mow it for them if it such an issue. But I don't understand - you live in the country so people don't bother you but yet here you are complaining about others.

Old 08-28-2023, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
You could mow it for them if it such an issue. But I don't understand - you live in the country so people don't bother you but yet here you are complaining about others.
I don't live in the country....that's part of my point.....even more a reason since houses are closer together to have some basic courtesy for neighbors. If I was in a town or neighborhood where everyone has like a 1+ acre lot and woods in between each neighbor I could care less if these folks mowed or not. That's not the set up though.

Old 08-28-2023, 06:37 PM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
Quote:
I don't live in the country....that's part of my point.....even more a reason since houses are closer together to have some basic courtesy for neighbors. If I was in a town or neighborhood where everyone has like a 1+ acre lot and woods in between each neighbor I could care less if these folks mowed or not. That's not the set up though.
I misread - my apology.

But my comment is still valid. If it bothers you so much, then mow it yourself.

Old 08-28-2023, 07:20 PM

Quote:
I misread - my apology.

First off, I'd be afraid to get ticks or poison ivy the vegetation is so overgrown! Secondly, these folks might not be mentally stable so me doing what should be seen as a neighborly act of good will may not be viewed as such by them.

Old 08-28-2023, 07:25 PM

23,565 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
I misread - my apology.

Quote:
First off, I'd be afraid to get ticks or poison ivy the vegetation is so overgrown! Secondly, these folks might not be mentally stable so me doing what should be seen as a neighborly act of good will may not be viewed as such by them.

It's also trespassing, no matter how good the intentions are of what you are doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts