Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2023, 03:34 AM

2,710 posts, read 1,733,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex29 View Post
Well, then something else will come up, as always did. But you can keep beating this dead lion...
Hi, who are you and what are you talking about? LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2023, 07:55 AM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
Well then I guess no one should become a teacher then because that requires a masters. That would solve a lot of things you complain about. If there are no teachers then there would be no free school lunch and no free community college.

Who said nobody should become a teacher? What are you even talking about???

Old 09-03-2023, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Who said nobody should become a teacher? What are you even talking about???
She said it wasn't worth going to grad school if loans were so expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
It's clearly not worth going to grad school then if someone has so many loans that they can't afford a house.
Some professions require grad school, like teacher.

I'm sure the concept of grad school and student loans is foreign to most boomers. A boomer coworker once asked why I kept picking up overtime shifts and what I needed the money for. I said to pay off student loans. He said "you have student loans?".

Old 09-03-2023, 08:40 PM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
Are you calling me a boomer again ? I'm 45. I also have a grad degree and own a home. The generation of 20/30 somethings today need to figure it out. Some have it figured out but many don't.

Old 09-04-2023, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Are you calling me a boomer again ? I'm 45. I also have a grad degree and own a home. The generation of 20/30 somethings today need to figure it out. Some have it figured out but many don't.
Then you should know that some professions require a grad degree.

Old 09-04-2023, 05:13 AM

5,109 posts, read 2,666,387 times
There are plenty of graduate programs out there that are cheap enough to pay as you go if you're a working adult. Especially those online. You don't need a name brand degree for education, or many other fields for that matter. I agree that higher ed has become ridiculously expensive, but I'm really sick of hearing that people need to take tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars in student loans or they have no options. Not true. This is only partially true if you're looking to hide out from work and attend a name brand school full time until you get the ideal job you want.

Old 09-04-2023, 08:02 AM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
Many times an employer will pay for a grad degree. If someone already has loans for a bachelors it seems silly to also take out more loans to get a grad degree. You better be getting a high paying job or marrying someone rich to help out with that. Otherwise why do it?

Old 09-04-2023, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
There are plenty of graduate programs out there that are cheap enough to pay as you go if you're a working adult. Especially those online. You don't need a name brand degree for education, or many other fields for that matter. I agree that higher ed has become ridiculously expensive, but I'm really sick of hearing that people need to take tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars in student loans or they have no options. Not true. This is only partially true if you're looking to hide out from work and attend a name brand school full time until you get the ideal job you want.

Right everybody needs to assess the economics of their situation, and whether whatever degree or program is likely to pay off. Teachers might also often start off at some private school (where Masters isn't required), and pursue their Masters while teaching there.

Graduate programs at MA state universities now run around $11K/year in state. Your Masters degree is cheaper than the price of a new car. A new teaching job simply doesn't pay enough to buy yourself a house in MA these days, as a single earner. It's an income vs. housing supply issue, student loan costs have the LEAST to do with it.

Old 09-04-2023, 08:25 AM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Maybe the schools in the Boston area want teachers with a masters degree, but there are plenty of other school districts around the country where it isn't required.

Old 09-04-2023, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Maybe the schools in the Boston area want teachers with a masters degree, but there are plenty of other school districts around the country where it isn't required.

That's correct. I know it's not required in Maine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts