Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2023, 03:41 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
It's also trespassing, no matter how good the intentions are of what you are doing.
Which in this case the intentions would not be good. Mowing your neighbors lawn because they can’t is altruistic. Mowing your neighbors lawn because they won’t isn’t.

The fact remains that unless there is a law being violated, you can’t make your right to control land ends at your property line. It seems pretty clear that the town isn’t able or willing to do anything, so as a neighbor your hands are nearly completely tied. People who NEED to have control over the state of their neighbor’s property are best served in some form of HOA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2023, 10:56 AM

15,862 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Unfortunately, overgrown yards are one reason why some people try to buy in an HOA neighborhood.

I'm a big fan of turning yards into native meadows with local plants, but there's a big difference between just letting it go and thoughtfully adjusting the landscape away from a lawn.

Could you toss some handfuls of wildflower seed into the yard as you walk by? Definitely not fixing it, but may at least make it a little pretty.

Old 08-29-2023, 11:09 AM

3,620 posts, read 1,844,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Unfortunately, overgrown yards are one reason why some people try to buy in an HOA neighborhood.

I'm a big fan of turning yards into native meadows with local plants, but there's a big difference between just letting it go and thoughtfully adjusting the landscape away from a lawn.

Could you toss some handfuls of wildflower seed into the yard as you walk by? Definitely not fixing it, but may at least make it a little pretty.
I could try that! It would look much better to see a field of wildflowers than a field of poison ivy, weeds, overgrown vegetation.

Old 08-29-2023, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Which in this case the intentions would not be good. Mowing your neighbors lawn because they can’t is altruistic. Mowing your neighbors lawn because they won’t isn’t.

The fact remains that unless there is a law being violated, you can’t make your right to control land ends at your property line. It seems pretty clear that the town isn’t able or willing to do anything, so as a neighbor your hands are nearly completely tied. People who NEED to have control over the state of their neighbor’s property are best served in some form of HOA.
I don't need to have control over the neighbor's yard, I just want them to get it under control themselves (as already stated dealing with uptick in rodents and insects is not fun) Also, property value impacts to consider too! I'm a millenial and so are they....apparently they're the type that give millenials a bad name.....lazy sobs is all I have to say about them!

Old 08-29-2023, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
I don't need to have control over the neighbor's yard, I just want them to get it under control themselves (as already stated dealing with uptick in rodents and insects is not fun) Also, property value impacts to consider too! I'm a millenial and so are they....apparently they're the type that give millenials a bad name.....lazy sobs is all I have to say about them!
I mean, you have opinions on their property that exceed those limits set by the civil authorities. That is the raison d’etra of an HOA. Outside of that the only things you can do are move (and lock in whatever property value loss you imagine you’re suffering) or learn to live with it. I know my wife HATES commercial lawn services early on Saturday morning, but the law is pretty clear on when they can start and so we just suck it up.

As for rodent incursion, that is something that should be dealt with at the entry point to your home.

Old 08-29-2023, 04:21 PM

Quote:
I mean, you have opinions on their property that exceed those limits set by the civil authorities. That is the raison d’etra of an HOA. Outside of that the only things you can do are move (and lock in whatever property value loss you imagine you’re suffering) or learn to live with it. I know my wife HATES commercial lawn services early on Saturday morning, but the law is pretty clear on when they can start and so we just suck it up.

As for rodent incursion, that is something that should be dealt with at the entry point to your home.
I am free to have an opinion about a neighboring property that exceeds those of civil authorities. Why deal with more rodents than you have to? Having a 100 yr old house presents some challenges with total incursion prevention. I mean simple basics of home ownership= mowing=less places for rodents to hideout. Let's put it this way...how would you feel if you lived next to the most unkempt property on the block and perhaps maybe even in the whole town?

Old 08-29-2023, 04:39 PM

Quote:
I am free to have an opinion about a neighboring property that exceeds those of civil authorities. Why deal with more rodents than you have to? Having a 100 yr old house presents some challenges with total incursion prevention. I mean simple basics of home ownership= mowing=less places for rodents to hideout. Let's put it this way...how would you feel if you lived next to the most unkempt property on the block and perhaps maybe even in the whole town?
You're not supposed to hijack a thread about real estate observations to deal with your pesky neighbors. You've already had a (long) thread on this very same topic:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/mass...rd-health.html

It's clear you don't like living where people have the freedom to let their lawns grow as long as they do where you currently live. I'm not sure what additional advice you are expecting.

Old 08-29-2023, 04:46 PM

Quote:
You're not supposed to hijack a thread about real estate observations to deal with your pesky neighbors. You've already had a (long) thread on this very same topic:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/mass...rd-health.html

It's clear you don't like living where people have the freedom to let their lawns grow as long as they do where you currently live. I'm not sure what additional advice you are expecting.
This is a real estate observation, is it not? BTW- dodging my question....how would you feel if you owned and lived next door to the biggest eyesore of a property on your street and town that was overridden with rodents, a jungle of a yard. etc. ?

Old 08-29-2023, 04:54 PM

16,400 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Default Rw

Quote:
This is a real estate observation, is it not? BTW- dodging my question....how would you feel if you owned and lived next door to the biggest eyesore of a property on your street and town that was overridden with rodents, a jungle of a yard. etc. ?
I've lived near unkempt homes but it was mainly when I was renting. Since owning I haven't really had this issue but I could see where it would be annoying. You can't force someone to take care of their yard. It's tough but I'd consider moving since it really seems to bother you. Unfortunately people have all types of reasons why they might not be able to keep their house looking good from mental illness to finances.

Old 08-29-2023, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I've lived near unkempt homes but it was mainly when I was renting. Since owning I haven't really had this issue but I could see where it would be annoying. You can't force someone to take care of their yard. It's tough but I'd consider moving since it really seems to bother you. Unfortunately people have all types of reasons why they might not be able to keep their house looking good from mental illness to finances.
That's another tough one....move and give up my 3% rate or wait a bit and if luck is on my side see if maybe these people get divorced and sell or it goes into foreclosure then the bank swoops in and cleans it up?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts