Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 09:14 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,210,098 times

Advertisements

OP - Glad you are feeling a bit calmer. I look forward to seeing your photos and questions in the House and Decorating forums. I'm sure you made some good choices when you bought, and over time, you'll be able to turn this house into your dream home. And in reality, most people will tell you that it's better to live with the house for a while as is, because what you think you want sometimes can change over time once you figure out what will work best for you and your family in that specific house.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:23 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
@OP, why are you moving/buying houses so often?

Old 10-27-2014, 12:23 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,915,303 times
joe,
Work.
Today you have to move for work.
You don't get a job that lasts 30 years anymore.
Totally different world now.

Old 10-27-2014, 01:16 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
joe,
Work.
Today you have to move for work.
You don't get a job that lasts 30 years anymore.
Totally different world now.
It depends on where you work. I didn't know if it was work or if you were a house hopper. One you have control over, one you don't.

Old 10-27-2014, 04:35 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
OMG enough with freaking out about "updates." It reminds me of the prospective buyers on home shows commenting on the most inconsequential things.

Get off the bandwagon and enjoy your home. Be a leader, not a follower.

Old 10-27-2014, 05:57 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Concentrate on the basics...

My brother just sold a home for top dollar that was built in 1959...

It was owned by a widow age 101 that just moved to a board and care...

Zero remodels... even the cabinet hardware is original as are all the fixtures.

It was immaculate and perfect paint in and out, 50 year roof, lovely landscaping, etc... EVEN single pane windows...

About the only upgrade over the years was a very high efficiency heat pump.

Buyers are in love with the place... even the 1959 tile and toilets and zero problems appraising... great location with great neighbors...

Now the home that is a disaster was two blocks away... it had been a rental and a flip... slip shod all the way... took a case of lipstick and the buyers are stuck.

Real Estate really is location...

By the way... I'm betting the hardware in American Made and not Made in China...

Single pane most likely means the windows are original

My house was built in 1952 and has original tile and bathroom fixtures. I still have the original Formica kitchen counter - yellow with boomerang patterns. I have seen retro stuff and it ain't close.

I've had my windows replaced with double pane, and whatever plastic frames, Florida room and all.

Been paid for since last decade.

Old 10-28-2014, 01:53 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,033,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinegirl7 View Post
Thank you everyone and especially angelenogirl. This was a HUGE purchase for us, the house cost $315,000 because of the area. We knew picking this area would be expensive but we wanted to be in a good neighborhood for my son who is attending high school and I wanted to be in driving distance of my other son who started college. Back East our house cost half that price so that was why it was so hard for me to spend this kind of money. We have been looking at houses since February, and honestly, I bought this house for location but everything about it is what I said I didn't want. I wanted an updated house and the flipped one was my dream house but they lied to me and there were some red flags that came up that I got really scared and backed out. We bought a flipped house in PA that was done complety wrong and the drywall started coming apart and SO much more so that's why I got scared when they lied plus it was a flip, but now I wish I would have bought it because instead of trying to update this one I would be closer to my son in college, my husbands work, have a move in ready house and could enjoy the new area instead of staying indoors trying to fix everything. I really value your advice and you are right, I just need to stop thinking about the money all the time. It seems like whenever we buy a house, put money into it and then sell it, we lose out every time. The longest we have lived in a house is 7 years and we lost money at that one. Is that normal? I mean if I sell this one in a year, I will lose because of realtor fees, my closing costs were $10,000 because I paid extra to get my interest rate down. I make some really good decisions and then some really dumb ones. My husband loves this house but he loved the flip and I am the one who got bad vibes and pulled away. he supports everything I want and sometimes I dont like that because I am impuslive at times.

Angelenongirl I will check your pictures and that forum out. Thank you so much for the advice everyone!
If you are moving that frequently, I'd suggest that you rent rather than buy houses, and put some $ aside so that when you want to stay put, maybe after retiring, you can buy a house. Makes no sense to buy a house if you are moving in a year. You will not come out ahead after paying the closing costs. And before buying down the interest rate, you should run the mathematical calculation to see how many years it will take to break even on the lower interest/payment amount and the upfront cost to get that rate. If you are not planning on staying in the house that long, do not buy down the interest rate

Old 10-30-2014, 02:03 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
The most important thing is that "we" don't allow this issue to become an emotional barrier between the two of you. As previous posters indicated, there are solutions. Everyone makes mistakes. It happened to my family. We eventually "solved" the structural issues, but not the emotional ones.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:01 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Here's another way to perhaps relieve some pressure on you. You can always turn around and sell the house.

Yes, you'll lose money selling it with commissions, have to move again and the expenses that entails, etc., but I think keeping this in the back of your mind might relieve some pressure on you if you truly can't deal with the house.
^^^^^

Thinking along these lines, its not quite such a final decision. Its a mind game, but better than the mind game of buyer's remorse!

Give yourself a year, it will take that long to see how you and the house really fit. Meanwhile, tell yourself you can always move, and look around, you might find something that at least makes you feel better

I've found that its the finality of the decision, now its really yours, or, oops, I really did it, now what? Just realilze nothing in life is a final decision, there's always alternatives, I'll bet in a year you will be settled in and enjoying your new home!

Old 10-30-2014, 11:24 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,711,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
OMG enough with freaking out about "updates." It reminds me of the prospective buyers on home shows commenting on the most inconsequential things.
I know what you mean. Lots of comments on paint colors, window treatments, and lack of a double vanity. They never check to see whether or not the foundation's cracked. I can't watch them anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health