Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2020, 08:37 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,921,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
I replied to a person implying the Twin Cities are unsafe for a family to visit. You countered that by implying that in "the real world" people are getting shot and it's actually not safe. I then explained why most residents and/or visitors have no reason to feel less safe than before. You then went on to imply that I'm racist because I'm "minimizing" violence. Do you personally feel less safe living in Minneapolis? I don't feel less safe, I just feel angry. No one in this city should have to live among violence.

I just find it really strange that you're going out of your way to turn something I said into something it's not just to feel like some sort of social vigilante.
I don't think my implying that the Twin Cities are unsafe was off the mark at all.

On a previous thread it was thoroughly discussed that the downtown area of Minneapolis had gotten very dangerous late at night with thugs randomly attacking people PRIOR to the protests, rioters, and looters that happened after the death of George Floyd. Now, as has been pointed out to you even though you're denying the facts, this previous lawlessness was a pittance next to the danger that is festering over the cities now.

Either someone in leadership starts growing a brain and clamps down on what's going on or I don't see the cities getting back to what it once was years ago for a decade or more.

Ilhan Omar says the Minneapolis Police Department is rotten to the core. What's she comparing this to, her native country of Somalia? Nothing lawless going on there.

For any long term fixes to the mess that is now Minneapolis and to a somewhat lesser extent St. Paul, the PEOPLE had better re-think their priorities and start electing some representatives that aren't total left wing loons (the appropriate bird to refer to for Minnesota). Maybe you can then ramp up training for the existing police department and try to increase the police presence, not destroy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2020, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamhammer View Post
I live out around Lake Minnetonka area and its damn near country out here, but not country enough after this year. Looking to move out a little farther, maybe just west of wonder.
Are there issues that far out from the cities? I went to Wayzata and took the tour boat on Lake Minnetonka last year. That whole area was gorgeous and VERY safe. Incidentally, I strongly recommend that tour boat if it ever starts running again. It was peaceful, relaxing, the hosts were excellent, and the food was great.

Old 06-21-2020, 08:44 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,084,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Are there issues that far out from the cities? I went to Wayzata and took the tour boat on Lake Minnetonka last year. That whole area was gorgeous and VERY safe. Incidentally, I strongly recommend that tour boat if it ever starts running again. It was peaceful, relaxing, the hosts were excellent, and the food was great.

Quote:
I live out around Lake Minnetonka area and its damn near country out here, but not country enough after this year. Looking to move out a little farther, maybe just west of wonder.
In 50 years, wait until you see Forest Lake. They have apparently, against citizens' wishes, forced low-income, tax-payer subsidized housing out there and they already have "problem" apartments up there due to this. No part of the Metro is safe as far as I can tell...

And you know the story in St. Cloud, I'm guessing? Rochester, Mankato? Same.

Old 06-21-2020, 08:57 AM

1,173 posts, read 550,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Trust me , I love it out here . Just thinking ahead a little. If we have and exodus from the city to the suburbs , all those leaving will bring their liberal ideologies With them. Soon the area will have the same voting patterns as the city and we all know the repercussions of that. It’s a fast spreading fire that needs extinguished.

Old 06-21-2020, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
In 50 years, wait until you see Forest Lake. They have apparently, against citizens' wishes, forced low-income, tax-payer subsidized housing out there and they already have "problem" apartments up there due to this. No part of the Metro is safe as far as I can tell...

You know those far left "leaders" all make these decisions to destroy entire neighborhoods and sometimes towns by forcing Section 8 housing in areas. They then feel so good about themselves. Yet, you'll notice that where this is brought in is never in the areas THEY live in.

For many years I had a daughter who lived in Iowa City. This college town, even though it's in Iowa, is just left of San Francisco. They destroyed a huge area on the south side of the city with this housing. You wouldn't believe the For Sale signs all over this area that popped up as this huge subsidized apartment complex drew in the worst of Chicago for the freebies. For sale signs everywhere and no buyers.

Old 06-21-2020, 08:59 AM

1,173 posts, read 550,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post

Funny I was just looking at Lindstrom And thinking this should be far enough.

Old 06-21-2020, 09:13 AM

Quote:
None of the Metro is safe from this lunacy of the Met Council (I believe this small group of radicals are in charge of much of this). Though I do believe if you get around Stacy you'll be safe for this lifetime, at least.

Old 06-21-2020, 09:19 AM

Quote:
This article touches on some of it...

https://www.twincities.com/2008/06/2...dable-housing/

Old 06-21-2020, 09:20 AM

Quote:
By the sounds of things you might have to move to Luverne, MN to be totally safe. A short 25 miles from Sioux Falls.

Old 06-21-2020, 09:43 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,862,932 times
I remember the riots in Omaha, Nebraska after MLK was assassinated in 1968. As an ignorant 22 year old white boy a work friend and I decided to make the hour and half drive to Omaha to see what all the hoopla was. I was delivering meat to several Kosher houses in Omaha and one grocery store close to the area where some of the violence was happening and I had a difficult time understanding why/how this could be happening. Shortly after we started driving through the area we began hearing drums. We were curious so we tried to find the source. We soon did. A group of about 15 to 20 young Blacks were in front of what I later learned was a meeting place for the local Black Panthers. When they saw the two WHITE boys in the car the drumming stopped and they tried to chase us down. Thankfully Jerry was driving and he had the good sense to "get out of Dodge". As we were leaving the area we met several POLICE cars with sirens and lights headed in the direction we were leaving.

The next week at work one of my fellow workers (a 35 YO Black guy) was telling a story one of his relatives had told him about two idiotic White guys that got chased out of the neighborhood. THEN I realized who the two idiots were.

We survived the summer of 68 but many were hurt and killed in the riots that went on in 68 and 69. We were very close to a full blown CIVIL WAR then and with the murder of MLK I don't know how a RACE WAR was avoided. A race war at that time probably would have ended after MILLIONS were killed. It might be even worse IF we had one now. One thing to remember if we do have a RACE WAR the soldiers fighting that war will not be wearing UNIFORMS. The color of your skin will be your uniform!

I pray that this never happens but we are closer to a full blown race war than ever in the USA. Everyone should listen or read MLK's I HAVE A DREAM speech and pay close attention. MLK helped avert a race war in the 1960s and his words and example might do so again in 2020.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul