Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2020, 11:35 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,457,595 times

Advertisements

The George Floyd incident killed any hope of MSP and MN being open to people of color. MSP was a promising post-Rust Belt metropolis; an alternative to Chicago in the Snow Belt. Now people of color have written off the Twin Cities after this incident reinforced the whiteness of MN. It will forever be that predominately-Scandinavian Lutheran tundra of Garrison Keillor fame!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2020, 11:59 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,092,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
The George Floyd incident killed any hope of MSP and MN being open to people of color. MSP was a promising post-Rust Belt metropolis; an alternative to Chicago in the Snow Belt. Now people of color have written off the Twin Cities after this incident reinforced the whiteness of MN. It will forever be that predominately-Scandinavian Lutheran tundra of Garrison Keillor fame!
Wut?

Have you been to MSP lately? It ain't never goin' back to the nice crime free mostly European melting pot it once was. Ever.

Old 06-17-2020, 10:05 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,773,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Wut?

Have you been to MSP lately? It ain't never goin' back to the nice crime free mostly European melting pot it once was. Ever.
Lol right - gone are the days of being any sort of functional place.

Old 06-17-2020, 10:28 PM

126 posts, read 81,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersonic1990 View Post
So, I haven't been paying attention to current events since I live far away from riots. In the big city near me they had may be 100 protesters who protest quietly by the police department and then go home to their TVs and couches. Pretty nice place to be actually and people are suddenly "nicer" than in MN. Nobody is looting or burning down police/fire stations or small businesses here. Is it time to forget about Twin Cities as a safe place to be for people who are less into riots and looting and more about family life?

I went to UMN 10 years ago and felt myself pretty safe. Not sure what's happened. I'm democrat myself and always voted for democrats and supported human rights but allowing to burn the city where you live is just a pure nonsense. I am trying to think about small business owners who got hit by COVID-19. They were hoping for a recovery and more people to bring some business in. What did they get? You all saw those broken windows, fire in the buildings and loot. Wait a minute...at least some of those business owners are minorities themselves. Why would they damage innocent people's businesses? Why would they go and loot their neighbor's shop? It does strike me that Minneapolis mayor acts like a *****.

I worked for a big corporation after college, lived in Hopkins and was generally happy. Then moved out of state to get a graduate degree. Always wanted to come back but at this point rethinking it. I don't wanna live or work in the city which can't protect its people against riots.

Do you think these riots will affect general economic growth and atmosphere in the cities? Will some big corporations like General Mills, US Bancorp, Target move to quieter places or stay?
I've been to Ferguson, MO last year. That place hasn't recovered.
it really doesn't matter where you live, as long as it is in a safe area within your city.
everything is within, in terms of your growth, happiness, etc.

with that being stated, smaller cities of less than 100K are generally going to be the better places, especially those that are educated cities like Syracuse, NY, Bloomington, Indiana, Dayton, Ohio, and Iowa City, Iowa.

Old 06-17-2020, 11:33 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,987,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
LOL!

How some of you people are able to make it through each day is beyond me.

Old 06-18-2020, 11:19 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,092,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minntoaz View Post
Lol right - gone are the days of being any sort of functional place.
The question I have is, where are the business people in Downtown Minneapolis? The last couple times I was Downtown Minneapolis the place is dead and/or dying - just many thugs wandering about and likely scaring off any decent clientele.

The businesses must know that their days are numbered, and Downtown is going to be a ghost town at this rate?

They must be too afraid to speak up against the left-wing fascists that now apparently control the asylum?

Old 06-18-2020, 05:31 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,773,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
The question I have is, where are the business people in Downtown Minneapolis? The last couple times I was Downtown Minneapolis the place is dead and/or dying - just many thugs wandering about and likely scaring off any decent clientele.

The businesses must know that their days are numbered, and Downtown is going to be a ghost town at this rate?

They must be too afraid to speak up against the left-wing fascists that now apparently control the asylum?
I don’t go downtown or anywhere near Minneapolis or St. Paul especially as of lately so can’t speak on that but I can’t imagine today’s ruling to allow homeless people to set up camp in any park won’t help the cause. So yes, I agree that’s it’s a matter of time at the rate things are going for the entire place to be a ghost town. The sad reality is that it is due to a few people being made responsible for making all decisions for the city. I like to think and hope the whole city of Minneapolis does not think in the same manner that the city council and park board members do but maybe I’m wrong and this city really is destined for destruction.

Old 06-18-2020, 05:58 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,379,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unicus View Post
it really doesn't matter where you live, as long as it is in a safe area within your city.
everything is within, in terms of your growth, happiness, etc.

with that being stated, smaller cities of less than 100K are generally going to be the better places, especially those that are educated cities like Syracuse, NY, Bloomington, Indiana, Dayton, Ohio, and Iowa City, Iowa.
Interesting take. Different strokes for different folks I guess. We have a few cities like that in Minnesota - Duluth, St. Cloud and Rochester come to mind. Although I don’t have anything against these places, I personally wouldn’t go out of my way to re-locate to any of them. I enjoy the amenities and conveniences of living in a large metropolitan area too much and I’m not ready to give that up.

Last edited by Cruz Azul Guy; 06-18-2020 at 06:09 PM..

Old 06-18-2020, 09:09 PM

5,955 posts, read 2,883,450 times
Hey when you got nothing to lose,,,why move.

Old 06-18-2020, 10:18 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,379,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
Hey when you got nothing to lose,,,why move.
A few buildings burn down and suddenly it’s the apocalypse. Relax, it isn’t THAT bad. Lots of people are pitching in to help rebuild. Everything is gonna be fine. And it looks like some meaningful police reform is in the works that may hopefully result in less people getting wacked by the five-0. There are some reasons to be optimistic right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul