Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2013, 10:28 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,250,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasnery View Post
Well, I guess you do not know that NYCHA is for people that qualify, depending on people's income..Your family may be eligible if your total gross family income is not more than the specified amount for example a family of two the income limit is $55,000 if I exceed that amount I no longer qualify.

I'm not trying to argue my thing is that you judge everyone that lives in NYCHA as the government giving you but like me many people that live in these apts.. work and actually manage better because of the low income rent.

Yes you QUALIFY to live there, You DON'T Qualify when you make too much...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 07:46 AM

163 posts, read 485,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post

Yes you QUALIFY to live there, You DON'T Qualify when you make too much...

ok, so that was my point!!

Old 06-04-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream207 View Post

I dont know why you even try?? and some people understand what you mean. Why suffer and maybe having a cell phone or lights cut off and you can raise your child right and save up if you want to move?? They just mad because they make to much to move into nycha (Which doesnt make any sense). and even if they feel like your getting off OH WELL!! Let them take that up with the mayor. it isnt like everyone just gets in you have to go through all these list and background checks and if you make an dollar to much they cut you off and just because you live in nycha dont mean you dont pay taxes!!! It gives people a piece of minds as well, Why be cramped in an studio, one or two bedroom with your 3+ Kids?? WHY SHOULD YOU MOVE OUT OF NYC TO MAKE ENDS MEET?? WHOM EVER SAID THAT TO YOU IS STUPID!
Cus now you have to probably find another job because you in another town or pay for these expensive trains to get to or from work... not no anyone there and have to lose work trying to get your son into school, babysitter etc... and FUDGE it if you live there and you god forbid die when ya son 18+ He dont have to worry as much, he just go through the eligibility stage again and if he wasnt doing nothing.. just like welfare, they cut you off..trust me dont try to get ya point off on this site. Everyone feels different and most dont agree.. they think no matter what you lazy for living or trying to live there. They rather you in a shelter or your child on the street begging for food.
Thanks Dream207, it's just that it gets too me when they try to generalize like everyone is the same or taking advantage for something that is a process you go through, you get screened for...not everyone in NYCHA is lazy.. God knows how much I work and do in a day...

Old 06-04-2013, 01:10 PM

205 posts, read 978,540 times
I agree with Dream207 too. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. People are so quick to judge. Who are you to tell people how to love their life or how I should live my life. Have a seat while I take notes on how u tell me to live it. Lol

Old 06-04-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGrl13 View Post
I agree with Dream207 too. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. People are so quick to judge. Who are you to tell people how to love their life or how I should live my life. Have a seat while I take notes on how u tell me to live it. Lol
I guess it's best to ignore..

Old 06-04-2013, 09:16 PM

205 posts, read 978,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasnery View Post
I guess it's best to ignore..
Yes it is :-)

Old 07-03-2013, 10:02 PM

6 posts, read 10,545 times
Smile Newbie experience

I've been reading a lot of the posts on here and I am going to share my experience so far with NYCHA. Applied originally in 2007. Received my priority W2, N8. Waited and never heard anything from them... Kept resending application to renew every year until 2009.
In 2010, I became pregnant and had my son in Feb of 2011. I sent a new updated application to NYCHA adding my son. They sent.me the acknowledgement letter with a new priority of W2/N4. That was 5/30/12. I received another letter a few days later 6/5/12 stating I had been reached for an eligibility interview to appear on 7/05/12.
I went to my interview brought my documents and was told it would take approx. 6-8 weeks to find.if I am eligible or not. On
On 5/24/13 they finally send me a letter telling me I was certified and also allowing me to pick my development choice. My first borough was the BX so I picked Mitchell since I know the area. Now today 7/3/13 I received another letter stating that Im on the waiting list for a 1BR for.Mitchell and they will conduct a criminal background.check once an apartment offer becomes available. I thought they did the background check when I had my interview and submitted all my documents but whatever lol. I dont have a criminal history. So I will update once.I receive a letter or phone call asking me to come.and.view the apt or whatever they send me next. Good luck to everyone.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:31 PM

75 posts, read 311,557 times
@Star love, i hope you dont take this wrong nor disrespect but e have had an outreach interview. it is suppose to be faster and you are suppose to be in with in 3-6months. i've had my paper in with nycha since '08 and my boyfriend had his since '05 they did us backwards and gave us the choice to pick the developments in '08-'09, without an interview. the process for th regular interview longer (from what i hear) you dont pick the developments right away But it doesnt matter everyones paper work is on hold because of hurricane sandy.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:57 PM

208 posts, read 464,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlove View Post
I've been reading a lot of the posts on here and I am going to share my experience so far with NYCHA. Applied originally in 2007. Received my priority W2, N8. Waited and never heard anything from them... Kept resending application to renew every year until 2009.
In 2010, I became pregnant and had my son in Feb of 2011. I sent a new updated application to NYCHA adding my son. They sent.me the acknowledgement letter with a new priority of W2/N4. That was 5/30/12. I received another letter a few days later 6/5/12 stating I had been reached for an eligibility interview to appear on 7/05/12.
I went to my interview brought my documents and was told it would take approx. 6-8 weeks to find.if I am eligible or not. On
On 5/24/13 they finally send me a letter telling me I was certified and also allowing me to pick my development choice. My first borough was the BX so I picked Mitchell since I know the area. Now today 7/3/13 I received another letter stating that Im on the waiting list for a 1BR for.Mitchell and they will conduct a criminal background.check once an apartment offer becomes available. I thought they did the background check when I had my interview and submitted all my documents but whatever lol. I dont have a criminal history. So I will update once.I receive a letter or phone call asking me to come.and.view the apt or whatever they send me next. Good luck to everyone.
If you need public housing why would you go and have a child on top of that? You were obviously struggling financially to apply for public housing so then you go and have a child and will struggle more. Oy vey

Old 07-04-2013, 08:44 PM

402 posts, read 812,594 times
LOL! True story! and to top it off the child is the reason she gets the housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery