Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2013, 04:05 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,926,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
I know this poster didn't express herself very eloquently, but she brings up an interesting point. Why is it that when middle to upper class white people need government assistance, the government declares an emergency and moves them to the top of the list, but when poor hispanic/black people need assistance, they have to wait in line for years and years? Why is one considered an emergency and not the other?

And to all the posters jumping on her saying NYCHA is supposed to be temporary while you get your life together, I say that nobody as a child says, "When I grow up my dream of all dreams is to live in NYCHA."
Completely agree. Carrying out this plan is nothing like a dream. It is reality. This is a move an individual makes very deliberately, moving through a set of decisions. For example, needing to apply for NYCHA and also somehow "getting pregnant." Seven months pregnant "now," as one poster put it.

As regards your insightful analysis of race and "emergency assistance." Right. How to explain this. Well, the storm victims had worked, planned, refrained when they could from exercising truly poor judgment, for example, deciding to have unprotected sex - which, as most know, can result in pregnancy. Translated into simple terms, pregnancy = baby = dependent. "Dependent" always mean that the person giving birth has financial responsibility. In any case. The storm was an actual emergency. People were victimized through no fault of their own.

Whereas, the people YOU are talking about, "poor hispanic/black" people, who are not at all in fact necessarily black or hispanic, likely exercised poor judgment many times. And rather than learn from mistakes, they decided, long ago, that it's all about "racism."

Anything else would require taking responsibility for one's own actions. But it really is a conspiracy, right ?
Yeah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 09:48 AM

163 posts, read 484,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
So your staying instead of TRYING and WORKING HARD to give yourself a good, happy life you should just settle for not making much money and living off the government for the rest of your life?
That's like saying I met someone fell and love but they cheat on me. However I will settle and accept they cheat on me because well at least I found someone to be with. I'm sorry but I disagree with you. You should NEVER just settle in life. My life is hard and isn't a piece of cake either. Everyday I'm trying to progress in life and improve myself. It isn't easy and its a struggle but at least I'm trying.
As I read all the different posts, I always see you livingsinglenyc trying to put people that live in nycha down..like if we're taking something. I'm a city full time worker, a single mother and I applied to nycha because the rent was too high for me. When I finally got nycha I finally could afford things for me and my child. It's rather sad when the rent is extremely high and unfortunate when your job doesn't pay enough to cover all the utilities which not only consists of rent. Yes, there are many people that take advantage but what about the people that don't. You say give them a 5 year time limit and then move, but people don't want to pay that crazy rent in nyc. I know that's your opinion but you shouldn't attack all nycha people.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:03 AM

19,033 posts, read 13,944,967 times
If you don't want to pay crazy NYC rent like you just stated, then you should leave NYC. We shouldn't have to subsidize you staying here.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasnery View Post
When I finally got nycha I finally could afford things for me and my child.
Have you seen the posters on the subway that point out the cost of bearing, and then responsibly rearing, a child ?

The posters are there to challenge such assumptions as I see in your post. Having children just "happens" and this guarantees lifetime assistance. In fact, having children is not a right cutting across all circumstances. Nor is this something that just "happens." It involves sets of consciously-made decisions.

Many people do not have children or additional children because they cannot afford it HERE, and/or they make the decision to move to an area where they can afford this.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
If you don't want to pay crazy NYC rent like you just stated, then you should leave NYC. We shouldn't have to subsidize you staying here.
I was born and raised here and this is where I want to stay. I don't have to leave NYC....The rent should be according to income, and since it's not out there, then Thank God for NYCHA..

Old 05-10-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Have you seen the posters on the subway that point out the cost of bearing, and then responsibly rearing, a child ?

The posters are there to challenge such assumptions as I see in your post. Having children just "happens" and this guarantees lifetime assistance. In fact, having children is not a right cutting across all circumstances. Nor is this something that just "happens." It involves sets of consciously-made decisions.

Many people do not have children or additional children because they cannot afford it HERE, and/or they make the decision to move to an area where they can afford this.
Yes, I've seen those posters. I was married it didn't work out, we together agreed to have a child. Having a child didn't just happen for me...As I posted before I have to find what I can afford to support me and my child. If you are not in that circumstance you would not know.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:15 PM

Well all I can say is hopefully us taxpayers aren't saddled with NYCHA much longer.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
I was born and raised here and this is where I want to stay. I don't have to leave NYC....The rent should be according to income, and since it's not out there, then Thank God for NYCHA..
Why on earth "should" rent be according to income ?

Bearing in mind that I am basically a far left thinker.

So people can decide to work hard, or not to bother ? If we have learned nothing from history, we have surely learned that we cannot trust others to work as hard as they are able. Most people would far rather just take advantage of whatever situation.

If this is where you want to stay, then you must work harder to obtain the means for staying rather than relying on an artificial means of support.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:55 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,233,235 times
Quote:
As I read all the different posts, I always see you livingsinglenyc trying to put people that live in nycha down..like if we're taking something. I'm a city full time worker, a single mother and I applied to nycha because the rent was too high for me. When I finally got nycha I finally could afford things for me and my child. It's rather sad when the rent is extremely high and unfortunate when your job doesn't pay enough to cover all the utilities which not only consists of rent. Yes, there are many people that take advantage but what about the people that don't. You say give them a 5 year time limit and then move, but people don't want to pay that crazy rent in nyc. I know that's your opinion but you shouldn't attack all nycha people.
I do anything but put people down. I try to lift them up so they realize they can do better in life. But as many posters have said those that feel entitled to nycha won't ever get it. By your post I realized they are right.
Yes this city is extremely expensive but it is what it is. You either find a place you can afford, move, or use the government.
I've said this this before but my neighbors a couple with a 5 year old turned their studio into a 1 bedroom because that is what THEY can afford because they actually pay rent and are not in a program. They don't expect people to pick up their slack so they can stay living in nyc. They do that so they can afford thing for their child. I respect them very much, they are hard working people.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:06 PM

Harlem, if you keep making so much sense you're going to make me give out reputation for ridiculous things so I can give it to you again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery