Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2013, 03:49 PM

75 posts, read 311,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
I know this poster didn't express herself very eloquently, but she brings up an interesting point. Why is it that when middle to upper class white people need government assistance, the government declares an emergency and moves them to the top of the list, but when poor hispanic/black people need assistance, they have to wait in line for years and years? Why is one considered an emergency and not the other?

And to all the posters jumping on her saying NYCHA is supposed to be temporary while you get your life together, I say that nobody as a child says, "When I grow up my dream of all dreams is to live in NYCHA." But after you exhaust temporary benefit programs which constantly threaten you, and you finally get into NYCHA, you are going to remember how hard it was to get there. And you know that if you start making too much money, you are going to get cut off of the only crappy assistance you have. So at that point you have to weigh your options: do I try to get out of here, and then maybe fail, and spend years waiting to get back here? Or do I just make the best of living in NYCHA?

I'm not saying I agree with everything Dream207 posted. I'm just saying, some of the more judgmental posters need to see her side. Maybe we as a society need to decide to stop forcing people to remain destitute for years to qualify for minimal assistance.

Thankyou. i know i am getting eating out alive for that post but just like them, everyone is entitled to their own. A shelter is temp more than nycha and them people can make it cus they lost them homes not jobs and those whom lost there jobs ending up getting higher paid and better one. I feel for them but i have also seen and been in a fire and i didnt get moved directly into nycha and what wasnt lost in the fire was damaged in water. they didnt move me into an Hotel, i got moved into an shelter. and Thankyou Juppiter. this is the first postive post i seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 04:56 PM

19,106 posts, read 14,096,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGrl13 View Post
How could anyone who WORKS FOR THE CITY OF NY just pick up and LEAVE to move to another state just because they cant afford NYC rent. If someone works for the city making $19 an hour, why would they want to move to another state and end up making half of that pay at $9 an hour. I just think people who complain about nycha are just jealous and fed up they have to break their back working two jobs trying to pay rent. you cant put everyone that lives in nycha or applies to nycha in the same category. Everyone is different and has different reasons for applying to nycha
I pay for it. I can say whatever I want. And the jealousy line is just laughable. I'd work 30 jobs to keep my kids out of those hell holes. I'm jealous of people who don't ever have to go in those buildings, like I unfortunately do.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:09 PM

75 posts, read 311,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Please... I qualify for nycha, I could live there if I wished however I believe in working and taking care of myself. Guess we were just raised different and have different morals and values. To say one can not afford a decent life without nycha cause they don't make enough is an utter lie. I make 1/2 of what I could make and still get into Nycha. I provide everything for myself and get no hand outs and help from others and I live a pretty nice life. People make this city more expensive than it is.
Like me and some said before, Everyone is different and everyone isnt like you and everyone is in a different situation. Its just you alone huh?? because i know plenty of people seeking help or whom is on section 8 or not and life is hard. Life is easier when you dont have kids and responsibilities. You have to have cells, net and cable just for your kids to make sure they safe and for home work alone. Your kids going to want atleast half of what others got because that the fine pictures the celeb's put in there head. Granted it isnt you but (NOT JUST YOU BUT EVERYONE) Dont knock someone down for it. We are all just people. we all pay taxes one way or another. We all have issues in life. it isnt that easy to just pick up and get an higher paid job and if it wasn't for these low minimum wage jobs half of us would be lost because no one sees how much the little man actual does. You cant judge a book by its cover and you cant judge a person by how they live or where they live. They might just be comfortable their. If you havent lived in their shoes than dont judge because just because it seems they have it easier doesnt mean to much because they have gone bankrupt, owe a crazy amount of child support, down on they luck or a domestic victim that doesnt know where to turn. So as far as them living in nycha? ITS THERE HOME NOT THEIR PERSONALITY OR BIRTHRIGHT! ITS WHERE THEY CHOICE TO LAY THERE HEAD NOTHING MORE NOR LESS!

Old 05-11-2013, 05:32 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,273,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream207 View Post
Like me and some said before, Everyone is different and everyone isnt like you and everyone is in a different situation. Its just you alone huh?? because i know plenty of people seeking help or whom is on section 8 or not and life is hard. Life is easier when you dont have kids and responsibilities. You have to have cells, net and cable just for your kids to make sure they safe and for home work alone. Your kids going to want atleast half of what others got because that the fine pictures the celeb's put in there head. Granted it isnt you but (NOT JUST YOU BUT EVERYONE) Dont knock someone down for it. We are all just people. we all pay taxes one way or another. We all have issues in life. it isnt that easy to just pick up and get an higher paid job and if it wasn't for these low minimum wage jobs half of us would be lost because no one sees how much the little man actual does. You cant judge a book by its cover and you cant judge a person by how they live or where they live. They might just be comfortable their. If you havent lived in their shoes than dont judge because just because it seems they have it easier doesnt mean to much because they have gone bankrupt, owe a crazy amount of child support, down on they luck or a domestic victim that doesnt know where to turn. So as far as them living in nycha? ITS THERE HOME NOT THEIR PERSONALITY OR BIRTHRIGHT! ITS WHERE THEY CHOICE TO LAY THERE HEAD NOTHING MORE NOR LESS!
True I haven't lived in your shoes as you have not mine.
My issue is that people feel entitled to nycha and then are comfortable with it as a life long situation, which often turns their children to think they same.
Since you don't seem to understand, agree or like what I think you will never understand. And sadly by your posts will become yet another life longer in the system. Hope you children can at least break the cycle.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:05 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,962,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream207 View Post
[color="Indigo"]Like me and some said before, Everyone is different and everyone isnt like you and everyone is in a different situation. Its just you alone huh?? because i know plenty of people seeking help or whom is on section 8 or not and life is hard. Life is easier when you dont have kids and responsibilities. You have to have cells, net and cable just for your kids to make sure they safe and for home work alone. Your kids going to want atleast half of what others got because that the fine pictures the celeb's put in there head.
Solution: Stop having children before you can responsibly support them.

Hint: The better-paying jobs go to people with a good command of proper English.

And no, the whole thing is not the fault of "the celeb's."

Old 05-11-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:

I know people don't like others who "live on the system" but living on the system sucks. It is the least bad option for people with no options. Obviously you can say, "if they didn't want to be dependent, they shouldn't have..." but the only true way to end that sentence is "been born poor and black."
This is actually offensive.
Hoping there aren't so many who think this way.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:02 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,465,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
This is actually offensive.
Hoping there aren't so many who think this way.
It offends me too. Hoping we can improve our society to the point where it is a meritocracy and not an oligarchy.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
It offends me too. Hoping we can improve our society to the point where it is a meritocracy and not an oligarchy.
The way you in particular can help improve the system might start by not telling people they are doomed, in that romantic way so familiar from (white) neo-liberalism, if they are born "poor and black." I work with many young people who are both and who have accomplished great things already.

I work with others who are exactly like their parents, or should I say "parent," as is usually the case, which means blaming everyone in the world rather than taking responsibility for themselves - for starters. Who, like many of the posters here, are not even embarrassed by the fact that they cannot form a single sentence in proper English. The world moves past them and they will always be managed rather than independent.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:04 PM

163 posts, read 485,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Why on earth "should" rent be according to income ?

Bearing in mind that I am basically a far left thinker.

So people can decide to work hard, or not to bother ? If we have learned nothing from history, we have surely learned that we cannot trust others to work as hard as they are able. Most people would far rather just take advantage of whatever situation.

If this is where you want to stay, then you must work harder to obtain the means for staying rather than relying on an artificial means of support.
I do work hard, NYC is where I want to stay..and relying on artificial means of support!! I rely on what I earn...

Old 05-11-2013, 09:11 PM

163 posts, read 485,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
I do anything but put people down. I try to lift them up so they realize they can do better in life. But as many posters have said those that feel entitled to nycha won't ever get it. By your post I realized they are right.
Yes this city is extremely expensive but it is what it is. You either find a place you can afford, move, or use the government.
I've said this this before but my neighbors a couple with a 5 year old turned their studio into a 1 bedroom because that is what THEY can afford because they actually pay rent and are not in a program. They don't expect people to pick up their slack so they can stay living in nyc. They do that so they can afford thing for their child. I respect them very much, they are hard working people.
what's so hard for me to understand is that you say it like their giving me something..yes I pay lower what's out there but I work full-time nobody gives me nothing....yes, I feel entitled to nycha because I went through the interview process, they did my background check and I qualified. In terms of people doing better in their life, I have a bachelors degree and going for my Masters degree, yes I live in nycha and I guess until I qualify to live there I will be there...like I said nobody has given me anything I've eraned it!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery