Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2013, 08:05 PM

226 posts, read 1,099,022 times

Advertisements

Ohhh im sooo excited for u girl....im very happy. U had the outreach program too?How long have u waited on their waiting list?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 09:16 PM

Yea i feel you. This shelter crap is driving me crazy. They want you to find a job asap when they know jobs are not as plentiful. I just wish nycha hurry up and call me too because im so fed up with hra and dhs. I have my b.a in criminal justice and have case management experience,however i am not able to find a job right now,why i do not kno. Anyway i decided that i would go back to school for nursing seeing that the job market is looking pretty decent. However hra says i cant attend school because i need to do there back to work program which is useless to me because i know how to get a job and have a degree and they are saying if i go my case will be closed and i need them to pay the 3600+ for my lil time room that fits a crib and twin size bed with no walking space. Smh. They are not giving me cash,i get very little food stamps which they can keep its that low and my baby has medicaid. And then dhs is saying since i been here for 6 months i cant go to school because i need to be out looking for apts and a job because iv been here over the intended time limit. I dont get this. Why cant they let me go to school and look for jobs at the same time to kill 2 birds with one stone. Dhs would rather have me here looking searching for jobs then to have me go to school to be more marketable and hra would rather have me in the btw program sitting in a room doing there useless job search. I swear its like being caught between a rock and a hard place. I really wish nycha call me soon so i can do what i have to do for me and my baby and just like u,use it as a stepping stone because i do not see myself raising my baby here in nyc. I wanna get in nycha to do what i have to do and get out asap so i can give my baby a much better life out of nyc. However i like cuny so i want to go to laguardia for my nursing program. Ugh its very stressful here in this place and im holding on cause im like this cant be life. This whole system is so ass backwards it makes no sense,starting with the outrageous shelter rent. Over 3600 for a super tiny room when they could use that money for better use like put me in my own apt for say 3 years as a max length ( and if u can get out before the 3 years limit,then excellent)of stay for us to better ourselves if u are doing what your supposed to do and then if were not doing what we need to be doing to get out then kick u out,not threaten me to kick me out because i haven't been able to find a job and apt within 6 months even when i doing what is required. I swear this system is ass backwards.

Anyway enough of me rambling,ray im so happy for u,keep checking in on us and let us know ur progress girl. Congrats.

Last edited by MzINeedNYCHA; 04-28-2013 at 09:31 PM..

Old 04-28-2013, 10:43 PM

22 posts, read 67,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MzINeedNYCHA View Post
Ohhh im sooo excited for u girl....im very happy. U had the outreach program too?How long have u waited on their waiting list?
thank u so much i almost gave up on nycha because of the long wait i hear people saying is long No i didnt have the outreach program i was on harlem river houses wait list since november 30.2012 now i have to choose from nycha and supportive housing which one to go for a little stuck but i will def pick nycha i was found eligible for both now i have to schedule rental interview with nycha for secruity deposit calculation...thanks again good luck i hope it works out for you

Last edited by rayfrombklyn; 04-28-2013 at 11:03 PM..

Old 04-28-2013, 10:49 PM

MZineednycha i know exactly what u mean im in the same boat in this lil tiny unit with my 4 year son no walking space at all dhs and shelter staff are always on you and always threating you with next step which is the worst thing to go thru like its easy to find any job and just move to an apartment like wth then all ur checks will be going towards rent i cant wait to move i pray to god that i wont ever have to enter the shelter system again god willin mayor bloomberg makes it so hard for people in the shelter to exit go on the coalition for the homeless and give them a call to see if they can assist you i know they have RAP (rental assistance program) which help u for two year i believe it partial of the rental you can check out there website...i have been out there filling out tons of different housing program application pass few months and only two came thru i got to make a decision which one suits me better but there is other few options out there beside nycha dont give up something will pull thru for u MZineednycha

Last edited by rayfrombklyn; 04-28-2013 at 11:01 PM..

Old 04-28-2013, 11:04 PM

Thank girl,i hoping i get out this situation soon too. Iv never been outta work this long ever since iv started working since 15. I usually would get a job asap or within a month,never almost a year,im starting to bug out cause dhs in on me and stressing me like i have no employment history/educational background and just laid up and popped a kid out expecting hand outs. One unfortunate event led to a castrophic situation. Very stressful.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:05 PM

Which hud building did u apply for? Everytime i call for an app,they said the waiting list is closed

Old 04-28-2013, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream207 View Post
I feel you Mzineednycha, Still in this next step shelter dying lol... only thing they supposedly doing is trying to get me supportive housing. but my hopes was to nycha but i am done. i am trying to find another way to get to nycha. it sucks when you got past the interview .. you are eligible and you can basicly taste that is there but being tease and not being able to get it or call Thinking about it everyday puts me in an emotional state and be knowing people in the projects and asking them questions doesnt help cause all of them was in their apt in 2weeks or less AFTER THE INTERVIEW but Mzineednycha we are being on held more because over 2,00 hurricane sandy victims is without homes ... idk if you or trini got any info or anyway for me to find out more info please let me know cuz i been sending alot of emails to bloomberg and it seems like no one is helping or knows about the outreach program all i am being told is to go to bk office and see
gurl i was in the next step shelter within a month i got myself outta of there into regular family shelter i called dhs went off on them i wish no one goes thru that speaking of supportive housing i just found eligible with supportive waiting for interview this week for an apartment and also got called for an apartment with nycha so im like stuck on which i should go for sighh just like u i gave up hopes on nycha and then it finally came thru once i became eligible for supportive housing in one week i thank god for this blessing lord know i been wanting to exit the shelter so bad

Old 04-28-2013, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzINeedNYCHA View Post
Which hud building did u apply for? Everytime i call for an app,they said the waiting list is closed
i applied for different ones i kept calling different management i did 13 application hud building application i did for harlem and brooklyn i cant remember i know grendier realty they always application for different building they management and they got back to me quickly then any other saying im on the waitlist

Old 05-01-2013, 07:19 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,455,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream207 View Post

I dont really think so, 7/10 people whom grow up poor, usually stay poor. its the same for the wealthy but just because they lost their homes they get to stay at hotels?? Nah stick their asses in a shelter like they would do any other person. They was handing out money,work plus all kinds of beanifits to these people. which isnt fair. People lose their homes, jobs each day and have to live in the street or if they choose shelter but half these wealthy people whom lost their houses NOT JOBS move into nycha? how is it fair that they get to jump the gun ( figure of speak) ??
people whom lost there homes go to shelters when they have nothing not hotels.. thats why the lost all that funding money they had. they was giving out jobs $18 an hour to help clean and these good hotels. now they cant help those whom have not had insurance. ITS ALL STUPID TO ME! but i think they can wait a bit like everyone else not move and be placed in a month or less smh.
I know this poster didn't express herself very eloquently, but she brings up an interesting point. Why is it that when middle to upper class white people need government assistance, the government declares an emergency and moves them to the top of the list, but when poor hispanic/black people need assistance, they have to wait in line for years and years? Why is one considered an emergency and not the other?

And to all the posters jumping on her saying NYCHA is supposed to be temporary while you get your life together, I say that nobody as a child says, "When I grow up my dream of all dreams is to live in NYCHA." But after you exhaust temporary benefit programs which constantly threaten you, and you finally get into NYCHA, you are going to remember how hard it was to get there. And you know that if you start making too much money, you are going to get cut off of the only crappy assistance you have. So at that point you have to weigh your options: do I try to get out of here, and then maybe fail, and spend years waiting to get back here? Or do I just make the best of living in NYCHA?

I'm not saying I agree with everything Dream207 posted. I'm just saying, some of the more judgmental posters need to see her side. Maybe we as a society need to decide to stop forcing people to remain destitute for years to qualify for minimal assistance.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:07 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,249,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
And to all the posters jumping on her saying NYCHA is supposed to be temporary while you get your life together, I say that nobody as a child says, "When I grow up my dream of all dreams is to live in NYCHA." But after you exhaust temporary benefit programs which constantly threaten you, and you finally get into NYCHA, you are going to remember how hard it was to get there. And you know that if you start making too much money, you are going to get cut off of the only crappy assistance you have. So at that point you have to weigh your options: do I try to get out of here, and then maybe fail, and spend years waiting to get back here? Or do I just make the best of living in NYCHA?
So your staying instead of TRYING and WORKING HARD to give yourself a good, happy life you should just settle for not making much money and living off the government for the rest of your life?
That's like saying I met someone fell and love but they cheat on me. However I will settle and accept they cheat on me because well at least I found someone to be with. I'm sorry but I disagree with you. You should NEVER just settle in life. My life is hard and isn't a piece of cake either. Everyday I'm trying to progress in life and improve myself. It isn't easy and its a struggle but at least I'm trying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery